Forums > Model Colloquy > No response from models

Photographer

Briancan

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I find it very odd that so many male models in my locale do not have the courtesy of any type of response when you reach out about a potential photo enquiry. If they are not interested I fully understand but at least reach out, thank me for the enquiry and or compliment. It's common courtesy. I don't have this issue on instagram.

Aug 12 22 04:05 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Briancan wrote:
I find it very odd that so many male models in my locale do not have the courtesy of any type of response when you reach out about a potential photo enquiry. If they are not interested I fully understand but at least reach out, thank me for the enquiry and or compliment. It's common courtesy. I don't have this issue on instagram.

I don't see it as an issue, at least for me it wouldn't be an issue. Sometimes they reply, sometimes they don't, that's it. I don't always reply to enquiries from models, if I'm not interested in what they're offering and just too busy. Usually I reply to them.

Aug 12 22 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Briancan wrote:

Instagram is a social platform. Mayhem isn't.  Still, like you say, common courtesy would be nice. Myself I reply interested or not. Can't tell if I might be interested at a later date. No since in putting people off that you may need later. This business is cold enough without taking it below zero.

Aug 13 22 07:59 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

Briancan wrote:

Ideally, I think we'd all like a response.  And thus, I try to respond to everyone that inquires with me. 

Follow up with a second message if you'd like, but otherwise, don't sweat it.  Move on.

Aug 13 22 12:36 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Briancan wrote:
I find it very odd that so many male models in my locale do not have the courtesy of any type of response . . .

OTOH we have male models complaining about lack of opportunities!

Aug 13 22 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Frankly your expectations are completely out of line with the way things work here.
If you get a response to 1 message out of 10 (even paid gigs) you are doing good.
This isnt Linkedin or some site of MBAs.
This site is overwhelmingly populated by amatuers and your expectations should take that into account.
Also courtesy on the internet is not at all common.

Aug 14 22 11:02 am Link

Photographer

Lachance Photography

Daytona Beach, Florida, US

I have always gone with the assumption that no response is a response that means not interested.  If you go by this you won't be so disappointed.

Aug 15 22 07:29 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

Speaking as a female here (cis, whatever), sometimes when one responds even just in thanks to a kind message, sometimes one gets (for lack of better wording,  don't give me shit about this one now) dragged into email chit-chat that one rather wouldn't be spending time on. 

Other times it's plain retaliation anxiety ("didn't wanna work with you anyway, you [insert unkind remark about body parts/ character, etc] .

Also: this isn't were professionals hang out.

Also:
No response is a response.

Aug 16 22 06:20 pm Link

Photographer

RMMCREATIVE

Columbia, South Carolina, US

I couldn't agree more sir!  On the whole I've had pretty good luck here on model mayhem and your right its just common courtesy to respond gracefully. For the gender of men to be so forth-right, direct and honorable. Behind dubious screen names most are meek little kittens, with soft little angelic voices one can only strain to hear from the bottom of a well.

Aug 23 22 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

BeachTog757

Virginia Beach, Virginia, US

A huge Plus 1 for @brooklynbridgesimages for telling it like it is.  Good job!!

Aug 23 22 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
Frankly your expectations are completely out of line with the way things work here.
If you get a response to 1 message out of 10 (even paid gigs) you are doing good.
This isnt Linkedin or some site of MBAs.
This site is overwhelmingly populated by amatuers and your expectations should take that into account.
Also courtesy on the internet is not at all common.

BeachTog757 wrote:
A huge Plus 1 for @brooklynbridgesimages for telling it like it is.  Good job!!

Amen to that!
If a model does that to an agency they'd never give the model another chance of getting a gig.

MM response rate is at an all time low... and I have lots of references and verified credentials displayed, too!
(I can't imagine how tough it would be for a newbie with no references or credits). 

A popular model that I've worked with before is coming back to LV and asked me to set up a shoot / event with her and another model or two (once again, if I was a real prique to work with I highly doubt the model would request a shoot with me again).

The gig I offered can't be all that bad. 7 out of 10 models that I've contacted have not replied at all.  Most of those 10 haven't logged in for a week or two (which was before I sent a message) but because MM no longer has a message system requiring people to log in I have a feeling that those models read the message via email and were either too lazy or too conceited to bother replying.   It's a sign of the times.

There are other websites that monitor if the person that received a booking request has replied to it, and they show the percentage of replies that the person sends.  It's an ideal system.  When someone that fits the casting is displayed but shows that they don't usually reply, you know right then and there not to bother contacting them.

That type of system would greatly enhance MM and get rid of the people that are bringing the site down to a level that's equivalent to Craigslist.

On the relatively rare occasion that I receive a response from a MM model that politely declined me I'll still recommend them when I learn of castings from other people that are looking for a model that fits the description.  It doesn't happen very often, but there's been a few MM models that got booked in a great gig for that reason.

If they're too conceited/lazy/whatever to reply I simply block them so I don't make the mistake of asking them again.  A few otherwise qualified models lost some good gigs and they didn't even know they would have been considered.

Aug 24 22 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

sfevans

Santa Cruz, California, US

Insightful and spot on. Inaction is action; and, fear of relation from, a "no" response is real. It's hard for anyone when you don't get the response you wanted -for me the imposter syndrome really kicks in at times.

We must curb expectations.

Where do the pros hang out?

Dea and the Beast wrote:
Speaking as a female here (cis, whatever), sometimes when one responds even just in thanks to a kind message, sometimes one gets (for lack of better wording,  don't give me shit about this one now) dragged into email chit-chat that one rather wouldn't be spending time on. 

Other times it's plain retaliation anxiety ("didn't wanna work with you anyway, you [insert unkind remark about body parts/ character, etc] .

Also:

Nov 22 22 12:49 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

sfevans wrote:
Insightful and spot on. Inaction is action; and, fear of relation from, a "no" response is real. It's hard for anyone when you don't get the response you wanted -for me the imposter syndrome really kicks in at times.

We must curb expectations.

Where do the pros hang out?

I used to live in Santa Cruz in the mid 90's. It was cool

Nov 22 22 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Briancan wrote:
I find it very odd that so many male models in my locale do not have the courtesy of any type of response

It's not odd at all. It's human nature. Male, female, and all points in between. I've never seen a marked difference in rudeness or indifference that can be broken down by gender or orientation or any other factor. Some people are considerate and professional and some aren't.

If they are not interested I fully understand but at least reach out, thank me for the enquiry and or compliment. It's common courtesy. I don't have this issue on instagram.

You'll save yourself a lot of anguish if you accept the dictum, "No response is a response." A no-response is far better than getting trolled by wannabes who aren't really here to find shoots, only the ego boost of being asked for a shoot.

Count your blessings. Would you rather get silence to your inquiry or would you rather go through days or weeks of communication and planning and prep, only to get a no-show on the day of the shoot?

Dec 09 22 11:28 am Link

Photographer

LavishPhotography

Miami, Florida, US

Common courtesy is pretty much dead in all aspects you're definitely not going to find it on the internet; I hold myself to a standard, if I have time to read it I have time for a response - and I'd get really annoyed when not reciprocated; but I've learned to expect and work around such things. If I'm looking to book a model for a project, I write at least 4 others just in case. Whoever responds first, is available first, and confirms booking first gets the gig. I also see/hear models complaining about the lack of work/opportunities (some I know personally) yet they never check/answer their messages/emails.. mind blowing!

Dec 13 22 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Years ago a model on Facebook was asked how she booked so much work by a fellow model there.  She replied, I show up.  This may sound  so simple but in life over 75% of things is showing up.  I've been at group model shoots where ten models were supposed to come and only two showed.  A few hundred wasn't a lot to make for a full day but they agreed to the amount yet no showed and no called.  This extends well beyond modeling though.  I do market research studies.  They typically pay $150 to $300 for three to five hours.  The companies send follow up emails and calls to confirm and reconfirm and even so a lot of folks just don't show up.

Dec 16 22 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Tony's absolutely right about "showing up," although I think his estimate of 75% is a bit low.

The inability to just show up was always high on my list for booking models for paying gigs. And the high "no-show" rate was always one of the reasons I always only hired models for the good jobs from the list of those I had engaged previously for the lesser jobs.

Dec 17 22 02:01 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Years ago a model on Facebook was asked how she booked so much work by a fellow model there.  She replied, I show up.  This may sound  so simple but in life over 75% of things is showing up.  I've been at group model shoots where ten models were supposed to come and only two showed.  A few hundred wasn't a lot to make for a full day but they agreed to the amount yet no showed and no called.  This extends well beyond modeling though.  I do market research studies.  They typically pay $150 to $300 for three to five hours.  The companies send follow up emails and calls to confirm and reconfirm and even so a lot of folks just don't show up.

"Availability is the best ability"
                           -Bill Parcells

Dec 17 22 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

This is a major problem on MM. I have it also.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Lallure Photographic wrote:
This is a major problem on MM. I have it also.

Rick

Yes!  We know!  Again, are you checking the last log in date? It's on every profile.  Also look to see if tehy have a Facebook or Istagram. The messaging is better on those two platforms.

Sep 09 23 12:44 am Link

Model

Cwen

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Also:

You basically summed it up.

I think it's best if we can all just agree to not expect a response, but if we get one, then yay!

It's not just models. Photographers do it, too. This has been a conversation since the very dawn of ModelMayhem. lol

Sep 12 23 04:25 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A few weeks ago I responded to a model's MM casting call.
Crickets.
The model hasn't even logged on to MM since placing the casting call, and the days of availability are fast approaching.

I just looked at the models MM profile again.
Buried in everything is a line that gives the email to contact the model, none of which is mentioned in the casting call.

These kind of delays and hoops to jump through would be eliminated if MM had a closed loops system that I've recommended several times before...

... but no, it'll never happen,

Sep 22 23 10:52 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
That type of system would greatly enhance MM and get rid of the people that are bringing the site down to a level that's equivalent to Craigslist.

Don't knock craigslist. When I run casting calls for models it's the first place I go to. If I take the same casting call, run it on:

Model Mayhem
Facebook Photography/Modeling Groups
Reach out to local IG models
Craigslist

The response I get off craigslist is 10X more than all the others combined. I'm writing an article for petapixel right now and needed a model for the shoot for the article. I ran an ad on craigslist as a TFP shoot and got 10 responses in an HOUR, two from models exactly what I was looking for. I'm booking one for the main shoot and the other for an unrelated one.

In my experience lately, craigslist generates the best results for models. MM is by far the worst.

Sep 23 23 08:13 am Link

Photographer

Shot By Adam

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Crickets.
The model hasn't even logged on to MM since placing the casting call, and the days of availability are fast approaching.

Buried in everything is a line that gives the email to contact the model, none of which is mentioned in the casting call.

These kind of delays and hoops to jump through would be eliminated if MM had a closed loops system that I've recommended several times before...

The developers of the site checked out years ago. Not long ago I saw a casting call from a model who had it posted as a TFP shoot but in the description said she wanted to get paid for her casting call. I emailed her about it and explained that when you post a casting call it specifically says you cannot ask for pay in a casting call, either you are paying or it's a TFP shoot.

Her response?

"I apologize for my prior mistake but I am extremely offended by your response. "

Yeah. LOL

Sep 23 23 08:27 am Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

SayCheeZ!  wrote:
Crickets.

Of all the sections on this website, Casting Calls, and Market Place could be busy and profitable for this website IF someone were to set it up better and market it.  Modelmayhem is like a boat a drift at sea with no one at the helm. It's a rather sad situation.

Sep 23 23 11:06 am Link

Photographer

Visual Delights

Austin, Texas, US

Lachance Photography wrote:
I have always gone with the assumption that no response is a response that means not interested.  If you go by this you won't be so disappointed.

Sometimes no response is indeed a response. But it can also be an oversight. Who among us hasn't occasionally lost sight of something?

Here's an example. In July of 2021 I sent an e-mail to the editor of a photography magazine in which I proposed a series of articles. I never heard back from him and, like you, said to myself that no reply is a kind of reply.

Last month, figuring I had nothing to lose, I followed up with another e-mail to the editor. This time he replied, saying that he didn't remember ever having gotten my original e-mail, and that he was open to having me write a couple of articles.

The point is that we don't know for sure what the lack of a reply means, and I see no harm in following up.

Sep 24 23 04:44 am Link