Forums > General Industry > Being acknowledged by models

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I have noticed a trend with models not giving credits or posting a copyright to photographers when they post their photos.  Does anyone think it is reason enough to include a watermark?

Dec 13 06 11:15 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

It's not just models-- many photographers here don't credit models or makeup artists, too (maybe sometimes due to some sort of weird territorial/not wanting to share thing).

I think watermarks on the web are a good idea in general.  Keeps people from using your stuff without permission (or at least tends to decrease the amount of that sort of thing).

Dec 13 06 01:00 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

markcomp wrote:
I have noticed a trend with models not giving credits or posting a copyright to photographers when they post their photos.  Does anyone think it is reason enough to include a watermark?

No. C'mon now- you include a watermark- I'm not posting your shot.

I'll give you credit- I give everyone credit...however, MM frequently wipes out the credits and we don't even know about it.

Send a message- stop whining about it.

Dec 13 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Daniela V wrote:

I'll give you credit- I give everyone credit...however, MM frequently wipes out the credits and we don't even know about it.

Just so that I am aware, have all questions on MM become whines?

Dec 13 06 01:10 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

markcomp wrote:

Just so that I am aware, have all questions on MM become whines?

No they haven't. But this question has been asked plenty of times before.

If you're not given credit, message the model about it.

Dec 13 06 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
It's not just models-- many photographers here don't credit models or makeup artists, too (maybe sometimes due to some sort of weird territorial/not wanting to share thing).

I think watermarks on the web are a good idea in general.  Keeps people from using your stuff without permission (or at least tends to decrease the amount of that sort of thing).

That may be true of photographers but since they own the copyright I don't think it is the same.

Dec 13 06 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Daniela V wrote:

No they haven't. But this question has been asked plenty of times before.

If you're not given credit, message the model about it.

When it has happened to me I have but if you notice my initial post I reference the fact that I see it all the time not just with me.  So the question was put there more specifically for the copyright holder.

Dec 13 06 01:13 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

markcomp wrote:

When it has happened to me I have but if you notice my initial post I reference the fact that I see it all the time not just with me.  So the question was put there more specifically for the copyright holder.

and did you message any of the models about this?

Dec 13 06 01:22 pm Link

Photographer

yani

Matawan, New Jersey, US

Blame Tyler.    The pic uploding system is a pain in the ass.

Dec 13 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

I just went back over my port and re-added all the model credits,
They used to be there but they had dissapeared along the way.
As noted by a previous poster MM periodically removes credits (not sure why)
So the model may have given you credit when she/he posted only to have MM remove it later.

I'm not a fan of marring my work with watermarks but to each his own.

Just message them and ask them to post credit.

Dec 13 06 01:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

I have seen some watermarks that I think make the photo look more professional.  Personally I don't like them though.
Sucks about the system deleting credits.

Dec 13 06 01:31 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

yani wrote:
Blame Tyler.    The pic uploding system is a pain in the ass.

that too

Dec 13 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

markcomp wrote:
That may be true of photographers but since they own the copyright I don't think it is the same.

Sometimes.  Copyright depends on what rights are given in the model release, no?

IMO, photos without watermarks are for "real world" use only.  Images without markings online leave themselves open for theft, and/or attempted identity theft of the model / internet "roleplaying".  All of which is very annoying.  (More annoying than the marks in the first place, IMO.)

Dec 13 06 02:05 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

big_smile  I have fully credited photographers, etc. from day one.  At this website, I include credits when I upload and add the MM number to create a link to their portfolios here.  When they are no longer displayed, their names are still read.  I do not have time to keep reentering MM numbers, nor do I expect fellow MMers to waste their valuable time dealing with the malfunction.

KJ
www.kathays.com

Dec 13 06 02:05 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

KathyJean wrote:
big_smile  I have fully credited photographers, etc. from day one.  At this website, I include credits when I upload and add the MM number to create a link to their portfolios here.  When they are no longer displayed, their names are still read.  I do not have time to keep reentering MM numbers, nor do I expect fellow MMers to waste their valuable time dealing with the malfunction.

KJ
www.kathays.com

Do you do yoga 24/7 or something? You're always so peppy and upbeat.

*not a slam- just asking*

Dec 13 06 02:07 pm Link

Model

DELETE ACCOUNT

Eškašem, Badakhshan, Afghanistan

No, Daniela, I am doin' a little yogurt right now, though.  big_smile  Key Lime Pie
I've never tried yoga, but I do think that commercial with Ellen DeGeneres musing about the argyle socks is funny.  Oh, didja see the spot where she's talking with staff in preparation for her show - the raccoon as her makeup artist?  ROF

KJ

Dec 13 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

oddproof photography

Garwood, New Jersey, US

I do appreciate it when they do but not required. I wouldn't watermark their images because they are trying to promote themselves and not the photographer.

Dec 13 06 02:29 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

KathyJean wrote:
No, Daniela, I am doin' a little yogurt right now, though.  big_smile  Key Lime Pie
I've never tried yoga, but I do think that commercial with Ellen DeGeneres musing about the argyle socks is funny.  Oh, didja see the spot where she's talking with staff in preparation for her show - the raccoon as her makeup artist?  ROF

KJ

I love when she asked the racoon if the eyeliner is to heavy.  LMAO

Dec 13 06 02:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

oddproof wrote:
I do appreciate it when they do but not required. I wouldn't watermark their images because they are trying to promote themselves and not the photographer.

I have seen model releases that specify that any time the model posts the shots it must include the credits.

Dec 13 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

CarlMaiorinoPhotography

New York, New York, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
Copyright depends on what rights are given in the model release, no?

Correct, the answer is "No".  The photographer holds the copyright to the images unless he is an employee of the company.  What is granted in a model release is a license to use the image which is a completely different animal.

Dec 13 06 06:43 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I'm not sure I quite believe you, but whatever.  Regardless, any Model Mayhem member who specifically refuses to credit their collaborators here (especially if they are on MM themselves) is probably being an asshole on purpose.

Dec 14 06 06:53 pm Link

Model

Chaya Phally

New York, New York, US

Josie Nutter wrote:
I'm not sure I quite believe you, but whatever.  Regardless, any Model Mayhem member who specifically refuses to credit their collaborators here (especially if they are on MM themselves) is probably being an asshole on purpose.

It would be awesome to see a lot of people get banned for not crediting. wink

Dec 14 06 06:56 pm Link

Model

TIFFANY A

Maybe the person not putting any credit is just too lazy? I also find that when I take the time to put in everyones MM number into the credits they get wiped out. When this happens I don't feel like spending time doing it all over again.

It urks me sometimes as a photographer when I don't see my model or styling team mention who the photographer is, since I always credit everyone on my team.

Dec 14 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

far away

Jackson, Alabama, US

markcomp wrote:

Yes. I'm totally with you on this, Mark.

I'm in the process of putting together a watermark to start using. I had one, but it ended up being too similar to another Michigan photog's watermark. We both are "RP" and coincidently ended up with nearly identical marks. He started using his before I did mine, which I'd never noticed until after I finally finished it (I was pissed! Lol...). So, unfortunately, I've gotta' start over.

Dec 14 06 07:01 pm Link

Model

Adieu

Why don't you just ask?

Dec 14 06 07:02 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Personally, I -do- give MY collaborators the benefit of the doubt.

I always post comments on photos with me in them that are not credited to me (something along the lines of "thanks for working with me on this image"), in the hopes that if someone is too busy or whatever, they will eventually come back to it.

Dec 14 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

ForeverFotos

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

Credit where credit is due... I always do and always will. If a model spends time in front of my camera making a great image, I think it's the least I can do to thank her/him for all that effort.

Model on..

Dec 14 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Michael DBA Expressions

Lynchburg, Virginia, US

Josie Nutter wrote:

Josie, Carl is right. The model release has nothing whatever to do with copyright and everything to do with permission to publish relative to individual's right to privacy.

The two areas of the law are completely unrelated. The copyright law is clear: absent a contract to the contrary, for example "work to hire" on the part of the photographer, the copyright belongs to said photographer. Absent a model release, the photographer will be limited in what he can do with the photos for fear of invading her privacy.

If either photographer or model is agrieved and sues the other, it would likely be the photographer suing the model because she used the images without permission under copyright law, or it would be the model suing the photographer because he used the images without permission thereby invading the model's privacy. In the absence of a contract to the contrary, the model could NOT sue the photographer for copyright infringement, and the photographer could not sue the model for invasion of privacy.

And while one COULD write into a model release stipulations about who had rights under the copyright law, I have never seen such a model release in my 35 years of shooting.

Dec 14 06 07:12 pm Link

Photographer

Mark J. Sebastian

San Jose, California, US

MM wiped out my credits, so its not anyones fault.  In the begining, i added a giant "SEBASTIAN" watermark across my photos which started out as an inside joke.  But my new photos have much more negetive space, so i have room to put my name and the models name (since we're equal partners within each photo) in a smaller, less intrusive font.

Dec 14 06 09:40 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

Daniela V wrote:

That leaves me slightly confused, because over half the images currently in your portfolio have a visible watermark on them.

Dec 14 06 09:55 pm Link

Photographer

Glen Berry

Huntington, West Virginia, US

markcomp wrote:

I started putting visible watermarks on my internet images after I had trouble with several models messing up the credits. Either they would forget (and not heed polite reminders to fix it), or they would incorrectly claim co-copyright status. I even had one model that claimed my copyright for her own! With so many people unable to follow instructions, and especially after some models tried to claim partial or full copyright, I decided to visibly stamp all my images from then on.

I hated doing it at first. I thought it looked ugly. Now I'm used to it, and it doesn't bother me at all. Believe me, seeing some ignorant "model" claim she holds the copyright to my images looks far worse than seeing my copyright notice on the image.  smile

Here's another reason for photographers to stamp their internet-ready images: There are several model networking sites on the internet. Are you going to go to the trouble of checking that she credits you on all of them? What if you aren't a member of some of these other sites? Some of them only allow adding credits by entering member numbers (like Mayhem does). Under a system like that, a model can't give you a credit unless you are both members of that site.

I say put the copyright notice on the image. You never know where the image might turn up, and who might want to use the image for something. They might even want to hire you based on one of your images.

To be fair, if someone ever sees one of my photos and wants to hire the model in the photo, I would gladly pass on their contact info to the model in question. So, even if they are interested in contacting the model, it could still help having my copyright and website info printed on the photo.

take care,
Glen

Dec 14 06 10:16 pm Link

Model

DOne

Seattle, Washington, US

I agree with many of the others here....Just email the model/photog/mua/whomever and let them know the credit was removed. I have always placed credits on the photos when I upload them....and to be honest with you since MM went down (pic uploader) again ... I havent checked to see if the credits are still there. I do know for a fact the credits have been wiped clean on more than once. When it has been brought to my attention I correct the issue... I don't have time to recheck every picture everyday (especially those days when MM's server is slow).

Meela

Dec 14 06 10:44 pm Link

Photographer

Mr Maki

Tallahassee, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

MM sure did wipe the servers.... I had to add Model Credits to 60 photos!!! Whew!

Dec 15 06 10:53 am Link

Model

Ryan6663

New York, New York, US

think it just comes down to, to lazy to go get the persons MM number LOL

Dec 15 06 11:14 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

markcomp wrote:

Yes.
I get kind of discouraged when photographers don't add my credit, too.  I always give credit in my port.  It's made very easy on this site.

On other sites, like MP, where you actually have to go back and edit the photo to add a credit, I don't add credit unless there is no watermark.  In that case it makes it easier for me.

Dec 15 06 11:17 am Link