Forums > Newbie Forum > Optimal Image Resolution/Settings for MM Portfolio

Retoucher

WP Retouch

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Given the maximums of 1,000 x 4,000 and 1MB for uploading photos to Model Mayhem, I created an Export preset with in Lightroom Classic with the settings below.

Image Format: JPEG
Color Space: sRGB
Limit File Size To: 1,024

Resize W: 1,000
Resolution: 72

Sharpen For: Screen
Amount: Standard

However, when I uploaded the image below, it appears that it was resized from 1,000 x 1,500 (1,028,619 bytes) to 800 x 1,200 (547,317 bytes).
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/220501/11/626ece6e1a7d4_m.jpg

Are there different settings I should be using to avoid any systematic compression or adjustment when I upload?

May 01 22 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

NakeyPiX

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Model Mayhem wrote:
How do I resize images for Model Mayhem?
Unfortunately Model Mayhem does not offer any resizing tools., but images uploaded to any account on Model Mayhem must be a specific size to be successfully uploaded.

Minimum Size: Photos must be greater than 200px wide and 300px high and 7kb in file size.

Maximum Size: 4 million total square pixels (e.g., 4000px x 1000px), or 1MB in file size.

The best way to resize photos is with a an image editing software on your computer, such as Paint, GIMP, Photoshop, etc.

If you don't have image editing software on your computer, you can use one of these online utilities. There are more online if you search, but these do give you some options.

www.resizepic.com
www.resize2mail.com
www.resizr.com
www.picresize.com

We recommend that you resize your photos to be 800 pixels wide or less.

May 01 22 04:40 pm Link

Retoucher

WP Retouch

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

NakeyPiX wrote:

I don't have any issue with being able to resize. I was sharing the Export Preset settings I created to optimally export for uploading to Model Mayhem. Since I was within the Maximum Size limitations, I was surprised that the image was still resized and adjusted when I uploaded it.

I'll keep experimenting to see if any tweaks result in images not getting resized. If 800 x 1200 ends up being the setting that accomplishes that, then that's fine, but it would be nice if that was stated clearly in the Upload Photos instructions.

May 02 22 05:52 am Link

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.)

El Segundo, California, US

It's best to size images to 800 pixels wide. Any image wider than that will be resized by the uploader and that's not ideal.

May 02 22 06:08 am Link

Retoucher

WP Retouch

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

Mod 7 (Cust. Svc.) wrote:
It's best to size images to 800 pixels wide. Any image wider than that will be resized by the uploader and that's not ideal.

Thank you for the clarity on that and exactly what I was hoping to learn! I'm perfectly fine setting my resolution settings to what is most likely to not have any automatic resizing or compression done to comply with any requirements. Thanks again!

May 02 22 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

800 pixels wide has been the standard forever.

If *I* set the width, I can determine how much sharpening to apply.

DPI has been the subject of acrimonious debates.

File size will depend upon the percentage amount of JPG compression. File size of 150K to 250K seems to work for me and will download faster when members want to view my images.

May 02 22 09:22 am Link

Photographer

Jim Bergstrom

Dennysville, Maine, US

Does the the 800 pix width standard apply to landscape oriented images as well?

May 03 22 04:42 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Jim Bergstrom wrote:
Does the the 800 pix width standard apply to landscape oriented images as well?

Yes, it's due to to the MM page width limit.

May 03 22 05:45 am Link