Forums > General Industry > Do you take the time to reply to messages?

Photographer

Mikey Yan

La Habra, California, US

Just curious. Whether you're a model or a photographer, do you guys reply to someone who is asking for your services, even if you don't feel like working with them?

I've been using MM for awhile now, and noticed that more than 50% of the time, I don't get a reply at all when I message models on MM regarding a shoot. I know models have a certain look that they are going for, or only work for pay, which is why I normally read their profiles first before even messaging them at all. Its just a bit disappointing when you see that the person you contacted has read your message and doesn't even bother replying. Which is why I really thank the people who message me back, even if they said they couldn't work with me.

I have to say though, that I am also guilty at times for not replying to all my messages.

Also, for those who don't reply, what are your reasons for not replying?

Dec 13 06 04:09 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

I try to reply but sometimes dont have time.

I usually reply Im not interested if that's the case, short and sweet.

If a model doesn't reply to me I usually forget about it as I have enough emailling me that I dont really have time to consider why-doesn't really matter to me that much to be honest.

Dec 13 06 04:22 am Link

Model

Loretta Lightningbolt

DEVILS ELBOW, Missouri, US

It's only frustrating when you've been ogling that person's port and are looking forward to their response smile  I know what you mean.

Dec 13 06 04:26 am Link

Photographer

Mikey Yan

La Habra, California, US

Yeah, I guess its just a matter of not really having the time to reply.

I just find it a bit disappointing, especially when you're trying to organize a project.

Dec 13 06 04:33 am Link

Photographer

James Johnson

Anaheim, California, US

I always answer.  Sometimes it may take awhile, but I do try to answer as soon as possible.  And I answer both those that I want to work with and those that I don't. 

Unfortunate I don't get the same effort when I send out messages.  Less than 50% respond.

Dec 13 06 04:41 am Link

Photographer

Art Schotz

Lima, Ohio, US

James Johnson wrote:
I always answer.  Sometimes it may take awhile, but I do try to answer as soon as possible.  And I answer both those that I want to work with and those that I don't. 

Unfortunate I don't get the same effort when I send out messages.  Less than 50% respond.

Same here.

Dec 13 06 04:48 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

Like an open Rose

Los Angeles, California, US

hell yea
i love messages
send me some
now

Dec 13 06 04:51 am Link

Photographer

l0stinsandieg0

Escondido, California, US

About 30-40% of the time without resposes, then few months later I hear from them "Don't think I forget about you, when can we shoot?" LOL. Usually I expect a "courtesy reply" even just from a casual initial greeting. Not much, just a casual "Thanks" will do. So if there're no reply then I figure that I don't want them, and they don't want me, LOL

Dec 13 06 04:54 am Link

Photographer

lawsonpix

Havre de Grace, Maryland, US

i usually answer messages in the negative when that's the reposnce..... but if someone who has no talent at all sends me a message "lets shoot" then i don't reply... if they put no effort, i put no effort...

it's a game... u need to play the game... if u want to work with someone... u comment a pic or 2... then wait for the reciprocal response... then post a tag... then start messaging back and forth to discuss a shoot...

Dec 13 06 08:26 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

I always respond, even it's it just to say I'm not interested. But I always try to be polite and professional.

Dec 13 06 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

lawsonpix wrote:
it's a game... u need to play the game... if u want to work with someone... u comment a pic or 2... then wait for the reciprocal response... then post a tag... then start messaging back and forth to discuss a shoot...

Models, does this make a difference?

Dec 13 06 08:30 am Link

Model

Carrie_K

Orlando, Florida, US

Eric wrote:

Not to me. In my opinion, professional relationships aren't built on comments and tags.

Dec 13 06 08:32 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

SonicYan wrote:
Just curious. Whether you're a model or a photographer, do you guys reply to someone who is asking for your services, even if you don't feel like working with them?

I've been using MM for awhile now, and noticed that more than 50% of the time, I don't get a reply at all when I message models on MM regarding a shoot.

50% of the time?  You are doing good.  For me it is more like 25% if it is a month where there is no school.
I always reply.  sometimes it might go to the next page on my mail but I get to it.

Dec 13 06 08:33 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Carrie_K wrote:

Not to me. In my opinion, professional relationships aren't built on comments and tags.

EXACTLY.  They are built on reliability, commitment, and motivation.  Send a reply and you might get hired.

Dec 13 06 08:37 am Link

Photographer

David Simpson Images

Bangor, Maine, US

I always reply. In my mind it is just rude not to. I think we are all big boys and girls and can take a rejection as long as it is written proffesionaly. ie: Thank you for your interest, but I am not interested at this time.

Dec 13 06 08:46 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Dec 13 06 08:47 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Sometimes I don't reply right away so that I can think about what I'd like to say and also get a chance to look at the person's portfolio.  I reply to every message I get, even if it takes me a few days.

Dec 13 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

nrvphotography

Knoxville, Tennessee, US

if someone takes the time to tell me they like my work (or not!) I think it is only fair to respond to them! I love email too!

Dec 13 06 08:48 am Link

Photographer

Rik Austin

Austin, Texas, US

What I have noticed as a "still learning" photogapher is that professional models almost always reply (and almost always no but thats ok).  The other 75%  respond rarely.  After a few months of feeling rejected I realized that its better that way.  Most of those that have respond just want to pretend they are models and after several emails (all positive and not asking to shoot nudes) they disappear.  Better just to not waste the time.

Having said that, I am working with several I have met through MM/OMP and they couldn't be better.  It's all a numbers game.  Problem in this area is there just ain't the numbers!

Dec 13 06 08:54 am Link

Model

PorchiaCorine

Portsmouth, Virginia, US

_Alexandra wrote:
Sometimes I don't reply right away so that I can think about what I'd like to say and also get a chance to look at the person's portfolio.  I reply to every message I get, even if it takes me a few days.

I totally agree I dont just like to say im not interested or Im interested I like to put thought into my responses and tags and comments dont make a difference to me whether I respond or not...why should it, I just find that as vain!

Dec 13 06 09:02 am Link

Photographer

ChanStudio

Alpharetta, Georgia, US

lawsonpix wrote:
i usually answer messages in the negative when that's the reposnce..... but if someone who has no talent at all sends me a message "lets shoot" then i don't reply... if they put no effort, i put no effort...

This is ridiculous!  A mind game is a child's play, not for adult.  I will not shoot with anyone who likes to play mind games (regardless pay or tfcd).

Dec 13 06 09:02 am Link

Model

Chloe Model

Staines, England, United Kingdom

Always respond!.. smiles "ding"

Dec 13 06 09:04 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Eric wrote:

It wouldn't want make me want to work with someone even more.  I'd rather just be approached with a "hey, I'm interested in working with you, are you free on xxx day?"  It makes things easier and it's easier to plan out a shoot without all the extra tags and "chasing".

Dec 13 06 09:08 am Link

Photographer

Jeff Pearcy Photography

Milwaukee, Wisconsin, US

I guess I did not know it was a game!  For me it is a business.  Anyone who messages me gets a prompt reply.  It is a compliment that they took the time and even if I do not have the time or inclination to work with them, I answer promptly.  It is what I hope to get in return (does not always work that way).  You join a site like this for the exchange and contacts, to not participate is simply rude.

Dec 13 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

FotoArcade

San Diego, California, US

I always reply even if the news isn't good unless the email is on the same level as 'spam'. But if someone takes the time to write a personal contact, it is going to get a response, even if it is too say I need more time to consider it. It's part of building and maintaining a professional reputation.

This culture of routinely ignoring emails is a bit unnerving. Luckily, the more serious the people I contact, the more likely I am to get a response so I guess I can use a no response as my first level 'flake' filter.

Dec 13 06 09:11 am Link

Model

adelinet

London, England, United Kingdom

I always reply yikes) sometimes it takes me a little longer cos I might not check my messages for a few days, or I need to check my diary, so I don't agree to a date that I actually can't do... But you're all in the US, so you're not gonna e-mail me anyway!! teehee.

Dec 13 06 09:18 am Link

Model

Manda Mercure

Windsor, Ontario, Canada

Michael Reyes wrote:
I always reply even if the news isn't good unless the email is on the same level as 'spam'. But if someone takes the time to write a personal contact, it is going to get a response, even if it is too say I need more time to consider it.

pretty much what i think.

Dec 13 06 09:24 am Link

Photographer

Yuriy

Gillette, New Jersey, US

^ James always answers my e-mails. smile haha

I try and reply to all messages as soon as possible with only the occasional message falling through the crack...
However, if the e-mail looks like, "hEy PhOtOg...I

Dec 13 06 10:02 am Link

Photographer

bobby sargent

Deming, New Mexico, US

Sure do.  It is rude not to reply back for whatever reason. bs

Dec 13 06 10:08 am Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

always

Dec 13 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

dgold

Pawtucket, Rhode Island, US

bobby sargent wrote:
Sure do.  It is rude not to reply back for whatever reason. bs

Yup-I agree and do reply to all in a timely manner.

Dec 13 06 10:14 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

I reply every single time. If I'm not going to have time, or I'm on vacation (like, never) I put that in my profile...if they get mad that I'm not responding, it's not my fault they can't read.

If I post a casting, and someone replies that I don't think are correct for the casting, I will tell them no thanks. I hate to be left hanging (though i understand those that are casting are busy), so I won't do it to other people.

Even if I don't like the terms that someone might send in an email, I'll always reply.

Dec 13 06 10:14 am Link

Model

Valdyr

Longmont, Colorado, US

I almost always do, with two exceptions:

1)If the photographer has clearly not looked/read my profile (usually by asking me to do something I've already clearly stated I'm not interested in.).  If he/she didn't take the time to read the few short paragraphs I have there, they don't deserve me taking the time to respond with "hey, read my profile, I don't do _________".

2) If I don't get that little reminder email from MM saying I have a new message. *slams head on keyboard*  I have to admit, I've been bad about checking my inbox for stuff that got missed...so I am sometimes VERY late on replying.  I'm trying to be better about that.

Dec 13 06 11:04 am Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

I always reply.  I have too.  It's the way I am. 

What works my nerves is when a model or photographer says I want comments please, and I take the time to go through each picture and provide a comment, in a well written message no less, and I get no reply?  Not even a "Thank You" or a "f*&k off,  you know nothing."   That is just rude.   No matter though, I just stop paying attention to them and move along.   

There are too many courteous and professional minded  people on this site to waste my time with the others.

Dec 13 06 11:15 am Link

Photographer

Mikey Yan

La Habra, California, US

_Alexandra wrote:

That's true, I do this sometimes as well.

Dec 13 06 11:52 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

The only messages I don't reply to are ones asking me directly for moderator assistance.  That's what the Contact-A-Mod form is for.

(To be honest though, I also don't read responses to courtesy messages sent to members who've had casting calls in inappropriate forums deleted.)

Dec 13 06 01:02 pm Link