Forums > General Industry > what is ... ?

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

what the heck is "le sigh" ? suppposed to be French? (le soupire)?!?

i'm learning new words in English everyday i'm here in America.

merci à tous et à toutes!

~ F

Dec 13 06 02:50 am Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

"Le sigh" is a very melodramatic way of indicating a sigh, the little soft exhalation you make when you are sad or disapointed. It's "le sigh," because that's French, and French people are more romantic (and hence more dramatic) than, well, just about anybody.

I believe the expression originated when it was used by a very popular Warner Brothers cartoon character, Pepe Le Pew, who is a romance-crazy skunk who can't understand why nobody wants to be near him. (He smells bad, but to himself he smells perfectly normal, naturally.) Pepe is French but of course speaks English, since the cartoons are in English. He has a strong French accent and peppers his speech with French words and Franco-fied English. He is *extremely* melodramatic, often insisting that he will commit suicide when his current obsession keeps running away from him.

Chuck Jones, IIRC, swore up and down that a French-speaking skunk was NOT social commentary on the difference between French and American bathing habits, it was just that the skunk was supposed to be a great romantic lover so of course he had to be French.

M

Dec 13 06 01:08 pm Link

Model

Sandra

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

http://www.endofworld.net/

This may or may not explain... When it gets to the french part note that we have them saying Le Tired... lol

Anywho... I think it is funny...

Me Le Tired... wink

Dec 13 06 01:13 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

StMarc wrote:
It's "le sigh," because that's French, and French people are more romantic (and hence more dramatic) than, well, just about anybody.

... but it's not French; un soupire would be correct. hmm. okay.

~ F

Dec 13 06 07:13 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

StMarc wrote:
and French people are more romantic (and hence more dramatic) than, well, just about anybody.

Don't forget more chicken shit too big_smile

Dec 13 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

C R Photography wrote:
Don't forget more chicken shit too big_smile

now that wasn't necessary, was it?!?

(*shakes head & walks away*)

Dec 13 06 09:05 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

Frank M. Lopez wrote:
... but it's not French; un soupire would be correct. hmm. okay.

You have to have a lot of cultural context to understand some of the things in these cartoons. For instance, it's common for the characters in them to say the *names* of actions rather than just performing them. Bugs Bunny, when shocked or startled, instead of "gasping," which is that sudden sharp intake of breath you do when something surprises you, sometimes just *says,* "GASP!" smile

Similarly, instead of *actually* sighing - although he does that a lot too - Pepe might *say,* "le sigh." He can't say "soupire," (does that translate literally as something like "little breath?") because most of the people watching the cartoon don't speak French. Hence the "Franco-fied" version, "le sigh." Pepe is such a popular character that most Americans, when attempting to emulate a French accent, sound just like him, although I don't know how accurate *his* accent actually is. smile

And sorry about the other poster's remark. Uncalled for. French politics might be a bit less than forceful sometimes, but I'd like to hear him say that in front of, say, a member of the Légion Étrangère. smile

M

Dec 14 06 10:23 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

Frank M. Lopez wrote:

I love new words.

Dec 14 06 10:25 am Link

Artist/Painter

Photosculpt

Ocean City, Maryland, US

Frank M. Lopez wrote:
what the heck is "le sigh" ? suppposed to be French? (le soupire)?!?

merci à tous et à toutes!

~ F

It's Fran-glais for "Sigh" when you want a classy ring to your sigh.

Dec 14 06 10:28 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

(*takes extensive notes*)

Dec 15 06 06:21 am Link