Forums > Newbie Forum > Is a test fee normal?

Model

Mark PNW

Portland, Oregon, US

I got offered an audition and then offered the gig, but they're requesting a test fee that will be refunded after the shoot. I don't have a ton of modeling experience, but I just want to know if this seems normal or suspicious to anyone else. I got the offer via my model mayhem inbox from someone who's account is still awaiting approval. What are you thoughts?

Nov 15 21 09:35 am Link

Photographer

Philip R

Agoura Hills, California, US

With the amount of no-shows from models lately, I understand why the fee was requested.  Check out the photographer photos and ask some of those models if the photog is legit.

Nov 15 21 10:21 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

markgridley wrote:
I got offered an audition and then offered the gig, but they're requesting a test fee that will be refunded after the shoot. I don't have a ton of modeling experience, but I just want to know if this seems normal or suspicious to anyone else. I got the offer via my model mayhem inbox from someone who's account is still awaiting approval. What are you thoughts?

If the gig has already been offered to you, why are they requiring a test shoot?

"I got the offer via my model mayhem inbox from someone who's account is still awaiting approval."

Go back and re-read the message. It says something to the effect that the account is awaiting approval OR that the account has been terminated.
Edit: see my correction here
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post … st19949023

Scammers get caught rather quickly and are kicked off of this site. Typically the scammer asks you to respond via email because he knows that he will be kicked off of MM momentarily.

Nov 15 21 10:55 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Mark Salo wrote:
If the gig has already been offered to you, why are they requiring a test shoot?

"I got the offer via my model mayhem inbox from someone who's account is still awaiting approval."

Go back and re-read the message. It says something to the effect that the account is awaiting approval OR that the account has been terminated.

Scammers get caught rather quickly and are kicked off of this site. Typically the scammer asks you to respond via email because he knows that he will be kicked off of MM momentarily.

^^^^^^ this!!!

"account is still awaiting approval." is the default message you'll get whether someone is actually waiting to be approved or if they've been removed.  To my knowledge there aren't any messages that state "the account has been terminated" (albeit I wish there was).

Typically a legitimate agency is prohibited by law from charging any fees to the people that they're going to represent, however it may be legal in some jurisdictions as the laws vary.  I'd be suspicious of any agency that requires upfront fees.  They're known as portfolio mills.  They'd rather collect money than actually do some work to get paid.

If it's a photographer from MM, yeah some are getting into the habit of charging an upfront deposit in case the model flakes, but then again those photographers typically don't have a paying gig for you anyway.  They usually just return the 'deposit' after the shoot takes place.

Nov 15 21 12:05 pm Link

Model

Mark PNW

Portland, Oregon, US

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The more I think about it, I think I'm being scammed (there's an attempt, anyway). I realized the person I'm contacting is using an @gmail account and the production company uses their studio name as the @. I'm also getting a lot of urgent follow ups every hour from them, which seems like strange behavior even if someone is trying to collect information ASAP. Like, I hadn't responded for an hour and I got another email in the thread that just said "Understand?" and another one an hour later saying "Still waiting to hear from you". That reads a little fishy to me, which is a shame because I was excited about getting a gig. But better safe than scammed.

Nov 15 21 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Yes, they are much too pushy. Did you express any interest at first? Do not reply any more, Just ignore them.

"I realized the person I'm contacting is using an @gmail account"
Yes, that's it; they contacted you via MM and then got kicked off.

"I was excited about getting a gig."
There was a model on here who received a very attractive offer. After we convinced her that it was a scam, she said, "What a shame that it was not for real because it was such a great opportunity!" No, it never was a great opportunity.

Nov 15 21 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

markgridley wrote:
I got the offer via my model mayhem inbox from someone who's account is still awaiting approval.

Is this the message that you received?
I'm sorry that I characterized it incorrectly above from memory.

"Unable to show Member #XXXXXX
This member is awaiting for approval or has removed their profile.
Go back to the homepage"

Nov 15 21 01:48 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

I think your case is a violation of MM rules.  I am sure it violates the rules regarding casting calls.  Please contact a Mod (under help on the top left side of the screen).   Also flag the the message to make the mods aware of it.

I doubt this has anything to do with flakes.  It screams scam to me.  From the opinions I have seen expressed in the forums, most models and photographers would balk at paying cancelation fees.  Flakes suck, but dealing with cancellation fees and deposits is worse.  If they don't trust you enough to show up, can you trust them to show up and return your money?

Nov 15 21 01:56 pm Link

Model

Mark PNW

Portland, Oregon, US

Mark Salo wrote:

Is this the message that you received?
I'm sorry that I characterized it incorrectly above from memory.

"Unable to show Member #XXXXXX
This member is awaiting for approval or has removed their profile.
Go back to the homepage"

Yeah, that's the exact message I get. I've already blocked the scammer's email and contacted the company they were pretending to be part of. They said this has happened before and that they've had to deal with the FBI. So screw that scammer, I'm glad I trusted my gut and didn't go through with anymore than I already had (I did NOT pay them, btw)

Nov 15 21 04:41 pm Link

Model

Mark PNW

Portland, Oregon, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
I think your case is a violation of MM rules.  I am sure it violates the rules regarding casting calls.  Please contact a Mod (under help on the top left side of the screen).   Also flag the the message to make the mods aware of it.

I doubt this has anything to do with flakes.  It screams scam to me.  From the opinions I have seen expressed in the forums, most models and photographers would balk at paying cancelation fees.  Flakes suck, but dealing with cancellation fees and deposits is worse.  If they don't trust you enough to show up, can you trust them to show up and return your money?

Thanks for the tips, once I got suspicious I stopped messaging them and I definitely didn't send them the "deposit" lol. Here's hoping I find some real gigs soon!

Nov 15 21 04:42 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

They didn't get far enough (luckily)  to present the complete Scam, Good for you! This is a variation of one of the oldest and commonest scams. The Nigerian Scam. Read about it here so you can see it coming: http://www.newmodels.com/Nigeria.html
Typically here they try to rush you to switch to email, because they know they will quickly get their fake MM account ended.  Nobody legit needs it that urgently. Too good to be true? Its not! Any offer of advance pay = Scam!

Nov 17 21 06:42 pm Link