Forums > Newbie Forum > Finding Models.

Photographer

VinnyLT

San Diego, California, US

Hello. Nebie here.
My biggest issue with being a no experience photographer is findeing models that are willing, or finding models that don't flake and then are never heard from again. This is something i've been struggling with for about 7 to 8 months now and I can't pin down anyone who is willing to be photographed. how do you do it?

Sep 29 21 11:28 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

I have been on here for five years and had my first model ask me if I do TFP ( not really sure how to take that) which as a hobby shooter I welcome the opportunity "but" I realized I was going to have to have some volume in my port before people even take friend requests you have to "show" you can shoot and have done shots  before things loosen up a little. 99% of the models here are not interested in adding photo's to their port unless A. you are paying them and giving photo's also or B. you have great idea's and scenes and locations to work at.Unfortunately my work isn't exciting enough to attract a lot of people whom are chuffed at the idea of taking the time and expense involved in just spending a few hours shooting so compensation helps. You really have to be patient and not let the Mayhem involved get you.

Sep 30 21 06:31 am Link

Photographer

Abbitt Photography

Washington, Utah, US

On MM, I find traveling models  tend to be more reliable but have higher rates than local talent.  In terms of local talent, I’ve had better luck with Craigslist the past few years.     With local models, I confirm  2 days ahead and again an hour of two prior.  The latter isn’t so much about encouraging reliability, but more to ensure I’m not setting up my studio and waiting on
a no show.

Sep 30 21 07:14 am Link

Photographer

VinnyLT

San Diego, California, US

Acraftman1313 wrote:
You really have to be patient and not let the Mayhem involved get you.

Thanks

Sep 30 21 07:57 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

When I joined there was a NY female photographer who  I thought I knew based on the style of her MM work.   I reached out to her and I was right.   This is a world famous shooter, published in multiple magazines.   She offered free photos as a way of giving back.   Models here flaked.   My point is don't expect professionalism from non professionals.   While location and other factors can help.   So how can you get more talent?   Travel a bit.   Many younger models lack reliable transportation and a Uber to your spot and back may be helpful.   Offer some $$$.   $50.00 or $100.00 can go a long way for a struggling model.   Sometimes young ladies don't feel they have good outfits. 

Buy  a few dresses, etc. from local thrift stores and on-line.   Tell models if they can fit into the outfit they get to keep it after a shoot.   Nothing wrong with just giving photos to models but adding a few incentives can help.   https://us.boohoo.com/womens/sale/dresses

Oct 01 21 08:31 pm Link

Model

Xiled

Orlando, Florida, US

Nice advice Tony.  It's always good to sus out info from the experienced Pros.

Oct 12 21 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

VinnyLT wrote:
Hello. Nebie here.
1, My biggest issue with being a no experience photographer is findeing models that are willing,
2, models that don't flake and then are never heard from again. This is something I've been struggling with for about 7 to 8 months now and
3, I can't pin down anyone who is willing to be photographed. how do you do it?

Vinny, it is possible to put together a portfolio. I've been here for 6 years and have done hundreds of shoots all with MM models. I've only done one paid shoot in that time to help get the ball rolling.
Look for models that are new and are as hungry to get their portfolios going as you are. Also look for models that say, "compensation ANY", and offer an amount you're comfortable with or ask what they will be willing to work for.
When planning poses or looks, ask yourself if that look is SOOO awesome that other models will say to themselves, Damn, that shot is sooo awesome I have got to work with that guy, even if it's at TF!!
Too many portfolios look like the photographer walked around taking snapshots with their iPhones of girls they ran into at the library!
1, are you an inexperienced photographer or just new at models?  Don't point out the fact that you suck, say you're GREAT then show them you are!
2, even traveling models will flake. I tried to shoot with 2 of my bucket list travelers and both times they cancelled the shoot and wanted to reschedule their trips months later when I couldn't shoot. There are tons of models in the SD area, I've shot there several times when I was in town for conferences.
3, Take out anything in your portfolio that looks like the model just took a selfie. As was said put together some stunning looks and propose those to a model that fits that look. Put a studio together in your bedroom and learn to use it. Many new models just don't get the opportunity to shoot in a studio. Always offer gas money if they come to you!
Always give them credit for the shoot and start your list of Verified Credits. That will give you legitimacy and professionalism  and make a model feel safe! Good luck!!!
John

Oct 12 21 11:37 pm Link

Photographer

40 Day Communications

Temple Hills, Maryland, US

Hello everyone! Thanks for all of your feedback, it's really encouraging. I too am trying to find more ways to build my talent database. I appreciate the advice you've given. Would anyone like to connect?

Dec 02 21 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

DTP - Photography

Chesapeake, Virginia, US

Abbitt Photography wrote:
On MM, I find traveling models  tend to be more reliable but have higher rates than local talent.  In terms of local talent, I’ve had better luck with Craigslist the past few years.     With local models, I confirm  2 days ahead and again an hour of two prior.  The latter isn’t so much about encouraging reliability, but more to ensure I’m not setting up my studio and waiting on
a no show.

Traveling models work most of the time. They may cancel if they can't get enough bookings in the area. But they are usually more reliable. Also if someone has a lot of credits it helps because they seem to be more into shooting as to someone who is new and flakes our or doesn't check their email until 6 months after you visited their area.

Paying helps. With some locals I've established a good relationship where it's trade and it's benefitted both parties. Keep trying, follow up and follow up again. Sometimes exchanging numbers help too. Some models won't shoot until they can talk or text you.

Good luck!

Dec 03 21 07:12 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I agree that traveling models are the most reliable. They aren’t going to travel across the country to flake.

Dec 03 21 07:58 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

VinnyLT wrote:
Hello. Nebie here.
My biggest issue with being a no experience photographer is findeing models that are willing, or finding models that don't flake and then are never heard from again. This is something i've been struggling with for about 7 to 8 months now and I can't pin down anyone who is willing to be photographed. how do you do it?

you are in SD
you have the ocean, the desert, salton sea...all kinds of places to organize a themed shoot. Plus you are on MM.  If you do not want to /can't afford to / or don't believe in paying for a model.. hit up the just joined models w/i 100 miles or so with limited or bad MM gallery's - maybe offer to pay for travel to you the location

go on craigslist and place a listing -  they get 'taken down' a lot..so keep posting and changing the text until you find something that doesn't piss off whatever software they use to police listings

have business cards made with your name, email and portfolio link and talk to interesting people when out (like at grocery stores) - this works best if you do not look like a homeless person, creeper or psychopath though

Dec 03 21 08:21 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

A great way to get a variety of photos in your portfolio is by joining a local photography / modeling group.  San Diego used to have a ton of them and probably still has a few.

They usually have photo days and / or group shoots.

You can get a lot of great photos by attending, but the bad part of it is you'll have a bunch of photographers taking the same photo as you are.  A good organizer will be able to keep that from happening but that's a whole 'nother story.

Those shoots are better for networking than for shooting.  If a model is interested in working with you at a later time they'll most likely let you know, if not you can let them know.

I don't really participate in those type of shoots very much anymore, but I do organize a few groups.

Here's some San Diego area groups to consider:
https://www.meetup.com/topics/photo/us/ca/san_diego/

Dec 03 21 03:25 pm Link

Model

Pixi Lotus

Dallas, Texas, US

Greetings, fellow earthlings!

Hope all is well, and hope you all have a happy new years! I wanted to post my instagram link incase anyone wanted to connect on there, as well as my link tree, just has everything all in one place. If you follow me, I will follow you back 

https://www.instagram.com/pixibabyyy97/
https://linktr.ee/pixibabyyy97

Dec 27 21 08:28 am Link

Photographer

Manfred

Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg, Germany

When I started photographing people I simply asked some girls on the street if I may photograph them. And then I asked for permission to use the photographs on my website. That way I got the first pictures for my portfolio. And with that it was easy to convince other girls about having TFP photoshoots.
I recommend not to carry much equipment for that. Just a camera and a lens that allows you to take photographs with a limited depth of field, for example a 50 mm 1.4 lens. You can find more details in the following blog post:
https://nevasca.net/blog/0000-minimum-equipment/

Another option would be that you offer TFP photoshoots in big cities, for example Los Angeles or New York. For example, once I created a TFP casting call for New York. Within a few days I found lots of people who were interested.

Jan 14 22 11:28 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Pixi Lotus wrote:

Spamming another Members thread isn't cool.

Tony Lawrence wrote:
[snip]

Offer some $$$.   $50.00 or $100.00 can go a long way for a struggling model.

In a nutshell.

An interesting theme or concept also helps.

Jan 15 22 04:19 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
Spamming another Members thread isn't cool.

The OP is asking how to find models.

Pixi Lotus is a model who has provided the OP (and others here) with multiple and alternate ways on how to go about finding and connecting with her. (i.e. Should the OP or anyone else here wish to do so).

Jan 15 22 05:57 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

It's pleasing to see a model participating in a forum that's about ... finding models!

Jan 15 22 05:59 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Camera Buff wrote:
The OP is asking how to find models.

Pixi Lotus is a model who has provided the OP (and others here) with multiple and alternate ways on how to go about finding and connecting with her. (i.e. Should the OP or anyone else here wish to do so).

The OP can't connect with the Model here? (which they neglected to mention)

The post is Spam aimed at gaining followers on Instagram.

Jan 15 22 07:48 am Link