Forums > General Industry > Brooks Institute...

Photographer

Naomi P

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

I am considering going there next year... Any thoughts?

Dec 12 06 08:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eric Haywood

I looked into them.  Seems like a great place, but very, very expensive.

Dec 12 06 09:36 pm Link

Photographer

Phillip Frink

Cumberland, Rhode Island, US

Another school to look at is The Art Institute of Boston, http://web.lesley.edu/aib/default.asp This is where I went to school. They joined up with  Lesley University a few years back. I had a good experience, and seem to be doing well.

Dec 12 06 09:47 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Eric Haywood wrote:
I looked into them.  Seems like a great place, but very, very expensive.

I have a friend that got some sort of scholarship/grant/loan or whatever. His mom let it slip that its value was somewhere around 14K and he still had to come up with another 5K. This is give or take a few bucks.

Dec 12 06 09:53 pm Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

I've said this before, that Brooks is one of two very different sorts of good photo schools for photographers whose ambitions are professional. Brooks turns out very technically proficient commercial shooters, generally. Those which tend to be in demand as assistants, and those which are well-equipped to become the big gun in a smaller sized market.

A school the sort like Art Center tends to turn out photographers that are also fairly well-schooled technically, but less so than Brooks grads. But unlike most of the Brooks grads, they tend to be able to think like art directors and have more distinctive style. They're the sort that generally have the best chance of becoming the top advertising or fashion etc sorts of shooters in the top markets. However, those are also the most competitive markets, and becoming a top dog in those markets is much less of a sure thing.

Dec 12 06 10:21 pm Link

Photographer

Naomi P

Asbury Park, New Jersey, US

The three years at Brooks will be cheaper than any of the NYC schools I am looking at...

I am not sure.. a few people told me they think it is like a scam...

Its either NYC or Brooks.

Dec 12 06 10:35 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I agree with Marko.  I've worked with graduates of Brooks as well as RIT, which is similar in some ways (but even more technical).

The "technical" part is the easy part.  The artistic part is hard.  Unless you want to make your living doing standard commercial stuff (and perhaps even then) get your training at a place that gives you a strong artistic foundation.

Dec 12 06 10:40 pm Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

Marko Cecic-Karuzic wrote:
Brooks turns out very technically proficient commercial shooters, generally. Those which tend to be in demand as assistants, and those which are well-equipped to become the big gun in a smaller sized market.

A school the sort like Art Center tends to turn out photographers that are also fairly well-schooled technically, but less so than Brooks grads. But unlike most of the Brooks grads, they tend to be able to think like art directors and have more distinctive style.

Ah, shucks, it's embarassing. I won't say we're less technical. The technical part was there. The emphasis was to use it as a creative tool.

When I was there the lighting class was very interesting. No key light/fill light talk at all. It was broad light, narrow light, soft light, hard light. Look at the ratio with your eyes and see how it translates to film. Called the problem solving approach. You get a problem in class, then you figure out how to solve it. Loved it, because I hate metering ratios. But when you get done, it's not a lighting formula - you learn to see with your eyes.

Dec 13 06 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

have worked with some really good technical peeps, including Brooks grads, but yeah, it all begets the question, "can you teach the artistic side?" .

i mean, yeah, we've got digital equipment more & more capable of understanding everything from F-Stops to retouching, but if the photographer doesn't have "vision" to begin with, then what?

~ F

Dec 13 06 01:43 am Link

Photographer

La Seine by the Hudson

New York, New York, US

Leonard Gee Photography wrote:

Ah, shucks, it's embarassing. I won't say we're less technical. The technical part was there. The emphasis was to use it as a creative tool.

When I was there the lighting class was very interesting. No key light/fill light talk at all. It was broad light, narrow light, soft light, hard light. Look at the ratio with your eyes and see how it translates to film. Called the problem solving approach. You get a problem in class, then you figure out how to solve it. Loved it, because I hate metering ratios. But when you get done, it's not a lighting formula - you learn to see with your eyes.

True.

Dec 13 06 01:44 am Link

Photographer

photoguy2003

Edmond, Oklahoma, US

hay man
you should try OSU-Okmulgee in oklahoma...they are the best photoschool in the Mid western region. they are cheep and it only lasts for 2 years then youll have an AAS in photographic technology, and an awesome portfolio so you can get a job. the websight is www.osu-okmulgee.edu

Dec 13 06 01:46 am Link

Photographer

Thyronne

Huntington Beach, California, US

Brooks isn't a scam, but I'm not crazy about the work of their grads, atleast as far as people shooters.  Look into Art Center in Pasadena, I wish I had gone there, I see some amazing work from their grads, I've tutored some instructors, been to lectures, and even know of huge working photographers with household name clients who take extension courses from there just to stay fresh.

Dec 13 06 01:54 am Link

Photographer

Adamson Imaging

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm in my 3rd year at The Art Institute of Colorado.  If you can find a way to foot the bill It's a great school for someone looking to go into commercial work.  My heart used to lie exclusively in fine art.  I have a BFA, and once I entered the "real world" I found it greatly unsatisfying trying to persue that route, not to mention I was incredibly unprepared to function as a pro shooter.  I feel like "fine art" photography is reserved for coffee shops and local galleries.  I would suggest going somewhere that can give you all the technical skills you will need to persue any avenue you choose--even if your goal is to exhibit in your local Starbucks.  Anyway that's my 2 cents.

::NICK

Dec 13 06 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Hoodlum

Sacramento, California, US

Dec 13 06 02:59 am Link

Photographer

Lightwave Photography

Honolulu, Hawaii, US

You could do that or get paid to Apprentice to a working pro like I did.

I have a Sociology degree from a few years back and I think the Art History and study(going to galleries and experiencing fine portrait art) Ive done has helped me more than any photography course.

Dec 13 06 03:21 am Link

Photographer

re- photography

San Francisco, California, US

www.halmark.edu

Hallmark Institute of Photography (located in NW Massachusetts): basically the content of an associates program in photography and the business aspects of photography crammed into 1400 hours of instruction time in 10 months: called a "photographer's bootcamp" the program can be hell, I wasn't thrilled with some of the policy and the way it was run, and it's expensive (not if you compare it to 2 year progrmas) but if you want to be working with the absolutely best equipment, facilities, and professional practices around......they output some pretty good photographers; if you have the initiative you'll get lots out of it.......if not, that's your problem. (Honestly I left a little early to open my studio though.....)

Dec 13 06 03:32 am Link

Photographer

FotoMark

Oxnard, California, US

I graduated with a degree in Visual Journalism, the Commercial side is really good. Seriously, it is not a scam the teachers are really good. It is however vey expensive like people have said. I can't tell you what to do but here are a couple of names of photographer's that graduated and are vedry good. shannonbrooke.com and http://www.shindov.com/ to very talented individuals. It's up to you man. RIT, Art Center, Cal Arts, Brooks check em out. good luck, if you do decide on Brooks, make sure you go with the Commercial photography program, it is way better than the Visual Journalism unless you want to work in newspapers.I would be happy to talk with you more about it if you want.
-Mark
[email protected]

Dec 13 06 03:33 am Link

Photographer

Chris Macan

HAVERTOWN, Pennsylvania, US

NLP Photography wrote:
I am considering going there next year... Any thoughts?

If you are considering Brooks you should also look at RIT.
It's going to offer an equal photo education as Brooks but is a lot closer to home.
If you plan on staying on the east cost after graduation RIT may offer better opportunities for networking with other RIT grads.
Both are great schools that will stand out on a resume, but I can't begin to count how many doors have been opened for me over the years because the client or interviewer or just someone I met was also a RIT grad.

http://www.rit.edu/

Dec 13 06 09:52 am Link

Photographer

Curt at photoworks

Riverside, California, US

NLP Photography wrote:
The three years at Brooks will be cheaper than any of the NYC schools I am looking at...

I am not sure.. a few people told me they think it is like a scam...

Its either NYC or Brooks.

The scam comment may be due to Brooks being under investigation for fraud having to do with their recruitment practices and expectations it generated with potential students. I'm not aware of anything more current than this:

http://ddunleavy.typepad.com/the_big_pi … titut.html

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00B25t

also http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zht … id=655278&

Dec 13 06 12:49 pm Link