Forums > General Industry > At the end of the day, what does this mean?

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Bangor, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

HATE to start this kind of thread because "I should know better by now", but I just wanted to see what you guys thought about it. I submitted images to Models1 and got an email back saying;

Hi

Please can you send in some more photographs of what you look like. It is hard to tell on one of the photographs. They need to be portrait and side profiles of your face. Please make sure that the file is not too big for us to open.

Thank you

Models 1 Ltd

*I take it they havent completely disregarded my submission and want to see more images, does this mean they might even be slightly interested?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:01 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Anything guys?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:14 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Anything guys?

Vixen.

A little more info would be helpful.  How about a link to their website (I'm too lazy to google it smile)

Dec 12 06 07:28 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Jim Ball wrote:

A little more info would be helpful.  How about a link to their website (I'm too lazy to google it smile)

Here you go hun
www.models1.co.uk

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:30 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I agree with you. If they weren't interested, they wouldn't waste their time or your time asking for more pics. Good luck doll face smile

Dec 12 06 07:33 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Monica Jay wrote:
I agree with you. If they weren't interested, they wouldn't waste their time or your time asking for more pics. Good luck doll face smile

Ooh Thanks hun!! Im all nervous, I wont hold my breath though, I mean their models are incredible and Im .... well Im me lol.

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:34 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Yes, it's moderately good news.  If you do what they ask, with care, it might turn into much better news.  They have opened the door, now you have to step through it properly.

Dec 12 06 07:34 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

TXPhotog wrote:
Yes, it's moderately good news.  If you do what they ask, with care, it might turn into much better news.  They have opened the door, now you have to step through it properly.

Oh God guys, Im going to need your help, remember Im an irish girl with not a full idea of industry ettiquitte etc ...
Someone want to be my tutor who knows the ropes?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:36 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

By the way, does anyone know how "big" this agency is?
Or who their clients might be?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

Los Angeles, California, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

Oh God guys, Im going to need your help, remember Im an irish girl with not a full idea of industry ettiquitte etc ...

Vixen.

Do not procrastinate. Send in requested pics yesterday.

bt

Dec 12 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Bruce Talbot wrote:

Do not procrastinate. Send in requested pics yesterday.

bt

Theyre already away.

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:46 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

Vixen.

It's not a matter of any special industry ettiquette.  Treat them like you would any prospective employer at a job interview.  The important part is the pictures.  They need to be done so that it looks like you are making a genuine effort, and are flattering to you.

However, since you've already sent them . . . .

Dec 12 06 07:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jim Ball

Frontenac, Kansas, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

Vixen.

There are a few 'real' industry professionals here on MM.  Ask Udo or TxPhotog.  I did notice that the website gave a brick & mortar address.  That's a good sign.

edit - TXPhotog: That's just spooky how you did that. smile

Dec 12 06 07:52 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

TXPhotog wrote:

It's not a matter of any special industry ettiquette.  Treat them like you would any prospective employer at a job interview.  The important part is the pictures.  They need to be done so that it looks like you are making a genuine effort, and are flattering to you.

They asked for a headshot and a portrait and my current manager advised me to keep a neutral expression with minimum makeup to let them see me as a "canvas".

Ok I will show you what I sent and no doubt everyone will tell me I have ruined it etc etc but here goes ....

https://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3374/edited1smars9.jpg

https://img154.imageshack.us/img154/5681/edited2smamb3.jpg

Ok so tell me Ive blown it .........

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 07:55 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

The approach was right, and I don't know that you've "blown it" - the only opinion that counts is theirs.  But I do think you could have taken pics that were a bit more flattering . . . .

Dec 12 06 07:58 pm Link

Photographer

Bruce Talbot

TXPhotog wrote:

My thoughts as well. If the shots are similar to those in your MM profile, they won't suffice.

Follow up quickly with the flattering ( clean, simple, basic ) shots our esteemed friend has noted.  And, again - yesterday.  smile

bt

:: edit - hmmm, time to wait and see.  good luck. ::

Dec 12 06 08:00 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

TXPhotog wrote:
The approach was right, and I don't know that you've "blown it" - the only opinion that counts is theirs.  But I do think you could have taken pics that were a bit more flattering . . . .

Well they were sent others before about 4 other images, so now they have a range to work on as a whole, I hope they overlook the photographers errors and take it for my face value.

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Ok Ill have a word with Udo about it, thanks.

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

Vixen.

I checked one of my other lists of London agencies [and besides what they want to claim on their website about being "Europe's LEADING model agency" - they ALL claim that distinction] they are at least legit.

Go for it PROVIDED you are prepared to move to London [and that's something I, personally, wouldn't wish on my enemy] 'cause you can't do go-sees from Bangor. If they are in London you will have to be as well.

As you have a b/f that can really complicate things too. Careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

Studio36

Dec 12 06 09:22 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

studio36uk wrote:

I checked one of my other lists of London agencies [and besides what they want to claim on their website about being "Europe's LEADING model agency" - they ALL claim that distinction] they are at least legit.

Go for it PROVIDED you are prepared to move to London [and that's something I, personally, wouldn't wish on my enemy] 'cause you can't do go-sees from Bangor. If they are in London you will have to be as well.

As you have a b/f that can really complicate things too. Careful what you wish for... you just might get it.

Studio36

Ironically he wants to live in London!!
And we were house hunting soon anyway.
What do you honestly think my chances are?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 09:52 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Ok Ill have a word with Udo about it, thanks.

Vixen.

Done and done.

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 10:18 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

You have a good body, decent (not perfect) height (although London seems less stringent on height requirements than the other major fashion cities).  Your face is very distinctive; bookers and clients will either love it or hate it.  On balance that's probably a good thing, especially if you present it right.

Dec 12 06 10:43 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

TXPhotog wrote:

You have a good body, decent (not perfect) height (although London seems less stringent on height requirements than the other major fashion cities).  Your face is very distinctive; bookers and clients will either love it or hate it.  On balance that's probably a good thing, especially if you present it right.

Stupid questions, but how do I "present it right?" and what is distinctive about my face?

Vixen.

Dec 12 06 10:47 pm Link

Photographer

OnePixArt

oh dear
I think your problem is lack of self-confidence…
try some visualization techniques.

Dec 12 06 10:50 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Stupid questions, but how do I "present it right?"

The quality of the pictures you sent is fine.  But they don't show you off well.  Your profile shot should be looking straight forward, not up into the sky, and your hair pulled back to show your neck.  The full-face shot should be just that, not turned somewhat to the side.  Experiment with expressions - not a huge smile, but something either very fashiony or slightly inviting.

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
and what is distinctive about my face?

A question for the critique forum, and I won't answer it there either smile

Dec 12 06 10:51 pm Link

Model

Vixen Intoxia

TXPhotog wrote:

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Stupid questions, but how do I "present it right?"

The quality of the pictures you sent is fine.  But they don't show you off well.  Your profile shot should be looking straight forward, not up into the sky, and your hair pulled back to show your neck.  The full-face shot should be just that, not turned somewhat to the side.  Experiment with expressions - not a huge smile, but something either very fashiony or slightly inviting.

A question for the critique forum, and I won't answer it there either smile

Lol ok thanks for all that advice TX, you were a brilliant help to me there.
My face shall remain a mystery hehe .......

Vixen

Dec 12 06 10:54 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
what is distinctive about my face?

Vixen.

I think the fact that you basically have your hair practically going through one of your eyes is unfortunate, given that you have huge adorable eyes.

Dec 13 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Deadlynightshade

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
what is distinctive about my face?

Vixen.

You have big blue expressive eyes.  Big eyes give the impression of innocence and youth. Not many people have big eyes. Use that to your advantage!

and i mean big eyes in a good way.

Dec 13 06 01:26 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Ironically he wants to live in London!!
And we were house hunting soon anyway.

Vixen.

You are barely at height but a good weight and build. It's possible they will offer to rep you. Beyond that it's a bit out of my line so I don't have any real idea of who their clients might be or the kind of work the agency might be able to offer for you.

Have a go. The worst that could happen is they eventually say no.

Studio36

Dec 13 06 09:59 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

TXPhotog wrote:

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Stupid questions, but how do I "present it right?" and what is distinctive about my face?

Vixen.

LOL...  TX was being polite. Think: "cute little Irish pixie" That can be good, or not good, depending on where and how you are marketed. I don't see you doing "serious" or "coy" looks but I do see you doing "innocent" and "playful" looks [like your prof pic:  Censored wink]

Studio36

Dec 13 06 10:03 am Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

studio36uk wrote:
TX was being polite.

Somebody make a note of that smile

Dec 13 06 10:19 am Link

Photographer

Rp-photo

Houston, Texas, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:
Please make sure that the file is not too big for us to open.

That statement makes them look incompetent and suspect IMHO.

Anyone with any degree of knowledge would know how to read most image formats and re-size if necessary.

Dec 13 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Vix, just remember... You're already a winner girl!

Dec 13 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

TXPhotog wrote:

We all slip up some time TX....LOL

Studio36

Dec 13 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

rp_photo wrote:
That statement makes them look incompetent and suspect IMHO.

Anyone with any degree of knowledge would know how to read most image formats and re-size if necessary.

Not necessarily.  I have a friend who works for an agency in London, and she goes through the mail, both email and post, every day.  She has to deal with quite a few applications, sometimes photo's sent very securely through the post, so securely that it's virtually impossible to open the packages with using small explosive devices, and lots of emails, some of them with very large attachments.  Prints scanned at very high resolution produce quite large files, and emails containing five to ten such pictures are not only time-consuming to download, but then produce pictures that are too big to view properly, so she either has to scroll up and down and side to side to view the picture, save the files to disk and resize them to view them properly, or she discards them.  Guess which happens more often than not...

I'd say it was a sign that it was a successful agency which handles a lot of applications, and they're trying to make life easy for themselves, while giving the model every chance to make a go of her career.

Dec 13 06 11:58 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:

Marked it on my Calendar TX. smile

Dec 13 06 12:05 pm Link

Photographer

Rawhider Studios

Hillsboro, Texas, US

Vixen Intoxia wrote:

Ooh Thanks hun!! Im all nervous, I wont hold my breath though, I mean their models are incredible and Im .... well Im me lol.

Vixen.

Don't worry about their other models. Yes, you're YOU, but there's only one YOU and that's the one they're interested in. Go for it and good luck.
PS. Tx, thanks for the tips and  encouragement you give her and others on this site. I haven't met you yet, but I hope to some day. You're not only a great photographer, you're "Good People", as my Dad used to say. Thanks, Ron.

Dec 13 06 12:32 pm Link