Forums > General Industry > Does shooting make you tired?

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I don't know about you guys, but after a shoot I am exhasted, and my legs and eyes hurt the next day.

Dec 12 06 06:53 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

I'm with you, there! While I enjoy the work, it's still work!

Dec 12 06 06:55 pm Link

Photographer

Fotografia-di-Asia

Park City, Utah, US

dude. shooting is like working out or having sex. the more frequently you do it, the less tired you will be afterwards. my point? shoot more frequently, or have more sex. big_smile

Dec 12 06 06:57 pm Link

Photographer

MF productions

San Jose, California, US

sometimes i get creative exhaustion and takes me awhile to think of new shoot concepts and themes which may take weeks or months to get inspired.

Model

Jinx1313

Emeryville, California, US

Definitely.  I'm usually pretty exhausted by the end and depending on how physically challenging the shoot was I'm sore the next day.

*edit to add*
And I have lots of sex, hehe.

Photographer

digital Artform

Los Angeles, California, US

Getting the right angle is like doing hi repetitions of squats

Dec 12 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I shoot quite often, and have sex even more... still makes me tired..

But then my shoots go 8 hours and the sex... well lets just say if I was done in two minutes then i wouldn't be tired from that either.

Dec 12 06 06:58 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Jinx1313 wrote:
Definitely.  I'm usually pretty exhausted by the end and depending on how physically challenging the shoot was I'm sore the next day.

*edit to add*
And I have lots of sex, hehe.

Jinx we need to get exhasted together then....  You would be a dream and an honor to shoot.

Dec 12 06 06:59 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

missing fingers product wrote:
sometimes i get creative exhaustion and takes me awhile to think of new shoot concepts and themes which may take weeks or months to get inspired.

I hear ya there... but I am the opposite, i have so many ideas I just don't have enough time to do them... and it feels like my head is gonna explode.

Dec 12 06 07:01 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Our shoots go all day...I am wiped out for the entire next day and can barely function ...glad to know I'm not the only one...

Dec 12 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Leo Chan wrote:
dude. shooting is like working out or having sex. the more frequently you do it, the less tired you will be afterwards. my point? shoot more frequently, or have more sex. big_smile

I say increase both.. unless you're shooting by yourself, then you'll just go blind wink

Dec 12 06 07:02 pm Link

Photographer

MWPortraits

Kansas City, Missouri, US

When I first started shooting, my ankles would swell up three times the size they normally are. I looked horrible. I couldn't plan anything for the next two days, because it was so painful. Now, I can shoot for hours, and I'm fine (THANK GOD!)

Dec 12 06 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

jessica weiser

Portland, Maine, US

Yes, I had one today and I'm exhausted.... We drove 40 minutes to a location and then drove around more, creatively I'm exhausted, I was on the ground shooting a bunch of times, etc. Then we had to drive home. But it was worth it I think wink

Dec 12 06 07:05 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

it's nice to know that I am not the only one this happens to... i was starting to get worried that i was allergic to models.

Dec 12 06 07:07 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm used to shooting 6-8 hours in 3 inch heels so I know what it means to hurt like hell.

Just this last Friday I woke up at 2:30am to catch my flight from Kansas City to Chicago O'Hare and then sat in makeup and hair all day, then shooting, etc etc stopped for dinner around 6 or 7pm. Shot more. The whole day I was in these real tall boots. Then around 9pm I had to stand still for a really long time while I got body painted. We shot the body paint and finally called it quits at 2:30am. So I had been up for 24 hours. I was doing some really strenuous posing too. Showered, ate food. Went to bed at 4am and woke up at 10am. OUCH. My entire body screamed at me when I moved.

I love modeling big_smile

Dec 12 06 07:08 pm Link

Photographer

Artistic Vision

Billings, Montana, US

no i'm usually to darn hyper

Dec 12 06 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

If it doesn't hurt the next day it probably wasn't very good

Dec 12 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Jessalyn wrote:
I'm used to shooting 6-8 hours in 3 inch heels so I know what it means to hurt like hell.

Just this last Friday I woke up at 2:30am to catch my flight from Kansas City to Chicago O'Hare and then sat in makeup and hair all day, then shooting, etc etc stopped for dinner around 6 or 7pm. Shot more. The whole day I was in these real tall boots. Then around 9pm I had to stand still for a really long time while I got body painted. We shot the body paint and finally called it quits at 2:30am. So I had been up for 24 hours. I was doing some really strenuous posing too. Showered, ate food. Went to bed at 4am and woke up at 10am. OUCH. My entire body screamed at me when I moved.

jess... john and me are gonna work you so hard that you're limbs will act like those yummy jello jigglers

Dec 12 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ravens laughter wrote:

jess... john and me are gonna work you so hard that you're limbs will act like those yummy jello jigglers

as long as you feed me and hydrate me then I can keep going. Nobody in Chicago was feeding me, or hydrating me. Ocean Jasper walked into the room I was being painted in yelling "why hasn't anyone gotten this woman some damn water with a straw?!" so he went and did it himself. What a gentleman. I could have kept going if my energy had been replenished.

Dec 12 06 07:15 pm Link

Model

Adieu

ravens laughter wrote:
I don't know about you guys, but after a shoot I am exhasted, and my legs and eyes hurt the next day.

Your legs hurt? What kind of shoots are you doing!??!

Dec 12 06 07:15 pm Link

Model

Jinx1313

ravens laughter wrote:
Jinx we need to get exhasted together then....  You would be a dream and an honor to shoot.

Aww, thanks Hun!  You know I feel the same about you!!  Gawd, I really need to get to my ass down to So. Cal.!!

Dec 12 06 07:16 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

Monica Jay wrote:

Your legs hurt? What kind of shoots are you doing!??!

monica, look at my work and you'll see what kind of shots I am doing.

Dec 12 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

yeah jinxie, you do.... need some assistance?

Dec 12 06 07:17 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ravens laughter wrote:

not yet. lol

Dec 12 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Veteres Vitri

MAYLENE, Alabama, US

nope it's like crack in a can

Dec 12 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Maria T

Lambertville, New Jersey, US

Depends on what the shoot requires. I know after the bodypaint in the AZ desert I was soo damn tired and then I had to sit in a tub for a few more hours and scrub off the paint with rubbing alcohol. Boy was I tired and upset

Dec 12 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

I love Ocean.... i hope one day to work with him.

BTW don't tell john you need hydration and sustianance.... he'll offer you his miracle whip.

Dec 12 06 07:24 pm Link

Photographer

Dogbone Alt-Process

Llano, Texas, US

After a day of shooting in the studio, my knees feel like there's sandpaper between the bones and my back muscles have turned into tightly twisted steel cables.

Summer time is even more fun after a day at my favorite outdoor location. It takes a mile or more of hiking with 60+ pounds of gear and some mild creek wading just to get there. I get so wrapped up in shooting I fail to notice all the cuts and bruises I collect until I get home and take a hot shower. The worst part is the walk back to the car... uphill all the way.

Dec 12 06 07:25 pm Link

Photographer

BlindMike

San Francisco, California, US

C R Photography wrote:
I say increase both.. unless you're shooting by yourself, then you'll just go blind wink

What'd you type? I can't see.

Shooting is a good kind of tired.

Dec 12 06 07:48 pm Link

Photographer

Doug Jantz

Tulsa, Oklahoma, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Not here!  Last summer I hosted a bikini shoot and we went for 8 hours and I would have gone longer.  Even in the heat.  Love it!!!!!

Dec 12 06 07:49 pm Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

ravens laughter wrote:
I love Ocean.... i hope one day to work with him.

BTW don't tell john you need hydration and sustianance.... he'll offer you his miracle whip.

eeeeeeewwwwwwwww

Dec 12 06 07:52 pm Link

Photographer

Scissor Industries

San Jose, California, US

Leo Chan wrote:

100% True. And you can train for it too. My camera is damn near five pounds and I've been shooting a lot with a ringlight and a heavy lens. You would think I would be exhausted after a shoot... I'm normally elated after a shoot, unless it didn't go well. I tend to work out a lot and do my fair share of cardio and it helps me keep the energy up during a shoot.

I shot from 12pm to 9pm sat and was up at 8am setting up for another shoot that went from 12 to 9. Not physically tired, although I kinda left a mark on my nose from my camera.

Dec 12 06 08:01 pm Link

Model

Adieu

ravens laughter wrote:

monica, look at my work and you'll see what kind of shots I am doing.

I know, I've looked at your shots before. I was just being a little perv...

Dec 12 06 08:03 pm Link

Photographer

Whetzel Photos

Longwood, Florida, US

Yes I find that after a shoot I am exhausted. However it usually does not kick in until the shoot is over.

Dec 12 06 08:07 pm Link

Photographer

Shoreline Studio

Sandusky, Ohio, US

Leo Chan wrote:

I assume this is not at the same time?

But do I have to choose one over the other, LOL!

Dec 12 06 08:10 pm Link

Model

Kat McGeough

Seattle, Washington, US

Yes.  I usually end up with pulled muscles, sore legs and a few bruises.  Though I tend to really get into posing at times - especially if I'm assuming a character.
The next day is when it really hits me so I try to schedule some buffer time if I have a strenuous shoot lined up.  I will have some photos back soon of some recent shoots where I went all out.  I looked like I was hit by a mack truck the next day.  :-)

Dec 12 06 08:15 pm Link

Photographer

Farenell Photography

Albany, New York, US

ravens laughter wrote:

Totally wipes me out everytime...but well worth it.

Dec 12 06 08:18 pm Link

Model

Jinx1313

ravens laughter wrote:
yeah jinxie, you do.... need some assistance?

In more ways than one, hehe.

Dec 12 06 08:53 pm Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

I'm tired sometimes.

Dec 12 06 08:57 pm Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

Jessalyn wrote:

Wow. Good for you! smile

Dec 12 06 08:58 pm Link