Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

George Schultz

Leon Spinks

Feb 07 21 01:55 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Mary Wilson, who co-founded The Supremes and remained a member of the group until they split up, has died at the age of 76.

The singer passed away at her home in Henderson, Nevada, her publicist Jay Schwartz announced, but he did not confirm the cause of death.

The Supremes were known for hits such as Baby Love and You Can't Hurry Love.

The group was founded in Detroit as The Primettes in 1959, when Wilson was 15 years old.
----  https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55993045

Feb 09 21 11:29 am Link

Photographer

Tony From Syracuse

Syracuse, New York, US

the Dustin Diamond thing is sad. I have always been afraid of that dynamic. you wake up one day with pain and you go to the doctor and BOOM right on the spot you are told its cancer stage 4.

Feb 09 21 05:20 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
George Schultz

Leon Spinks

Leon Spinks was my best friend's neighbor for the past 2 years
He's been pretty ill for a long from the time  they moved in and probably even before that.
Sadly he was pretty much wheel chair bound and required assistance from his wife and/or her adult age son whenever he needed to do something.

rfordphotos wrote:
Mary Wilson, who co-founded The Supremes and remained a member of the group until they split up, has died at the age of 76.

The singer passed away at her home in Henderson, Nevada, her publicist Jay Schwartz announced, but he did not confirm the cause of death.

The Supremes were known for hits such as Baby Love and You Can't Hurry Love.

The group was founded in Detroit as The Primettes in 1959, when Wilson was 15 years old.
----  https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-55993045

One of the weirdest coincidences I've ever experienced involved Mary Wilson. 

Y'see in 2008 I was an extra in a movie called "Crazy Girls Undercover" and while waiting around to appear in a scene I met and became friends with a cute aspiring actress and we exchanged contact information.

A couple of weeks later I briefly met Mary Wilson at a party held at Casa Di Amore restaurant on Flamingo (in Las Vegas). 
Several months later I was watching "What Would You Do" on ABC.  It's a news show that's like a serious version of candid camera, where hidden cameras capture people from Heros to Zeros reacting or ignoring various controversial situations.

One particular episode featured a 'wanna be singer' in New York's central park.  She (purposely) sang sooooo off key that she was really bad as a singer (but did great as an actress). 

In any case the WWYD cameras caught the reactions of people when they heard the girl singing, and they'd interview the people afterwards.  Some people would be polite and lie and say she was a really good singer to avoid hurting her feelings.  Others were more honest, not to hurt her feelings but to give her a dose of reality.

The episode ended when Mary Wilson coincidentally walked by.
Mary praised the singer.  John Quinones (ABC's interviewer) told Mary what was happening, and Mary still continued to praise the singer.

The singer happened to be the same girl that I became friends with a few months earlier.

-----------------------

Both Leon Spinks and Mary Wilson lived in the Anthem section of Henderson, NV, on a mountain that has fantastic views of the Las Vegas Valley.

Mary lived in a high end country club community (Anthem Country Club) and Leon Spinks lived  a mile or two away in a nice but not extravagant tract home in the Sun City Anthem Retirement community.

I guess it's a bad time to be residing in Anthem,

Feb 09 21 06:30 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

Larry Flynt died today and I will be honest here and say
I thought he was already dead.

Feb 10 21 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

Dave Gibson

Altoona, Pennsylvania, US

Motordrive Photography wrote:
Larry Flynt died today and I will be honest here and say
I thought he was already dead.

I thought so, too.

Feb 11 21 05:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

TikTok Star Dazharia Shaffer Dead at 18 by suicide, according to her father.

Feb 12 21 04:52 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Bangkok, Bangkok, Thailand

Rush Limbaugh, dead at 70.

Feb 17 21 09:46 am Link

Photographer

DeanLautermilch

Sebring, Florida, US

Tony From Syracuse wrote:
the Dustin Diamond thing is sad. I have always been afraid of that dynamic. you wake up one day with pain and you go to the doctor and BOOM right on the spot you are told its cancer stage 4.

Just happened to me. A long time friend called me and told me they just found he had stage 4 lung cancer. He was a former mob associate in NYC during the 70s and was a real 'stand up guy'. He wanted one last conversation with me, said it had been a good life, by the end of the call were were laughing about the hereafter and he promised if he could send me a sign from the afterlife he would.
Ten days later he was gone. I'm glad he went fast as he did not want to be bedridden.

Feb 22 21 05:34 am Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

G. Gordon Liddy dead at age 90.

Richard Nixon described Liddy as “the most dangerous man in America”. Liddy was the architect of the Watergate break-in, although he was not present at the scene. His license plate was H20GATE. Liddy worked for the Nixon Whitehouse and specialized in illegal tactics against the Democrats. (He and Rodger Stone must have been bosom buddies.) Nixon loved Liddy’s idea of breaking into DNC headquarters to engage in political espionage, and so the plan was made operational. Liddy spent about 4 years in prison for his role in Watergate until his sentence was commuted by Carter.

Liddy was an asshole and proud of it. In fact he made a successful career of being an asshole after being released from prison. In many ways G. Gordon Liddy was the original Republican Trumper.

Mar 31 21 09:19 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Philip Mountbatten
1921-2021
Husband of Queen Elizabeth
He and Elizabeth were cousins, two great-great-grandchildren of Queen Victoria.
Royal Navy
He was an active outdoorsman, hunter, equestrian, aviator and sailor, and he championed causes and institutions close to his heart, including a public service and fitness program for youth, global wildlife conservation, and various sporting organizations.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob … story.html

Apr 09 21 05:55 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

AP

LOS ALTOS, Calif. (AP) — Charles “Chuck” Geschke — the co-founder of the major software company Adobe Inc. who helped develop Portable Document Format technology, or PDFs — died at age 81.

Apr 18 21 09:33 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Jim Steinman, hit music writer that's probably best known to many for his Meatloaf "Bat out of Hell" albums, has died.

To give you an idea of just how prolific he was, at one point he had the Billboard #1 AND #2 album spots at the SAME TIME.  #1 for Bonnie Tyler's "Total Eclipse of the Heart" album and Air Supply's "Making Love Out of Nothing at All" album.

He earned a Grammy for some of his Celine Dion hits and was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 2012.   Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" sold over 14 million albums (14 times Platinum) just in the U.S. alone.  He passed away at the age of 73.

Apr 20 21 03:53 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Michael Collins, Apollo 11 astronaut, dies at 90

On July 20, 1969, eight years after President John F. Kennedy pledged to land a man on the lunar surface and return him safely to Earth, astronaut Michael Collins sat alone in the command module Columbia. He was floating 60 miles above what he later called the “withered, sun-seared peach pit” of the moon.

Apr 28 21 02:19 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Johnny Crawford, 75, who played Mark McCain on "The Rifleman."

Olympia Dukakis

May 01 21 07:49 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ned Thomas Beatty (Deliverance)
Frank Bonner (WKRP)

Jun 18 21 02:55 pm Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Is there a thread for MM members who have⚰️ and have obits?

Jun 18 21 04:56 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

FFantastique wrote:
Is there a thread for MM members who have⚰️ and have obits?

Why not here?  Our members are important.

There is also this:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/978879

Or start a thread for each person as was done for Herman Surkis
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/981028

Jun 18 21 05:04 pm Link

Photographer

Focuspuller

Los Angeles, California, US

Jun 20 21 08:00 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

John McAfee, a fairly colorful character that was probably best known for McAfee Anti-Virus Software, among other things, was found dead in his Spanish jail cell today.

Hours earlier, he had been ordered extradited to the U.S., where "he potentially faced decades in prison" over tax charges.

"The eccentric cryptocurrency promoter and tax opponent whose history of legal troubles spanned from Tennessee to Central America to the Caribbean was discovered at the Brians 2 penitentiary in northeastern Spain."

Jun 23 21 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
John McAfee, a fairly colorful character that was probably best known for McAfee Anti-Virus Software, among other things, was found dead in his Spanish jail cell today.

Hours earlier, he had been ordered extradited to the U.S., where "he potentially faced decades in prison" over tax charges.

"The eccentric cryptocurrency promoter and tax opponent whose history of legal troubles spanned from Tennessee to Central America to the Caribbean was discovered at the Brians 2 penitentiary in northeastern Spain."

Rest In Peace  Mr. McAfee. I hope you can finally escape the demons that drove you to your end.

A talented man whose life clearly went off the rails decades ago. "Colorful" is a polite term to describe his life. His paranoia was legendary, his vindictiveness at times frightening, his criminality unquestioned. It is truly sad to see such a bright light snuffed out by what I can only assume was mental illness.

Anti-viral software can arguably be described as a "savior" of the fledgling home computer business, and his was one of the best early programs available. I personally came to look at McAfee Anti-virus as a virus in itself, with the bloatware that came with the later versions, but initially it was a prime line of defense against the assholes determined to "infect" every PC out there.

Again, I genuinely hope he has finally found the peace that so long eluded him.

Jun 23 21 05:09 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

"Former U.S. Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld dead at 88"

I think I'll also refer to him as a "colorful" character.  Certainly a man who's actions were historically significant.

P.S.  Whatever I might have personally thought of his involvement in some historic decisions, I must point out that on 9/11, right after the Pentagon was hit by the passenger jet, he can be seen on one of the videos carrying wounded out of the impact zone on a stretcher.

Jun 30 21 03:36 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Rest in Peace Dusty- and thanks for soooo much good music.

ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dead at 72

“We … will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature, and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top.’ members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said. “You will be missed greatly, amigo."

----  https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content … amp;w=1200

https://www.rollingstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/dusty-hill-zz-top-obit.jpg

ZZ Top bassist Dusty Hill, who played with the Texas blues-rock trio for over 50 years, died Tuesday at age 72. His rep confirmed the musician’s death, but said a cause of death was currently unknown.

“We are saddened by the news today that our Compadre, Dusty Hill, has passed away in his sleep at home in Houston, Texas,” surviving members Billy Gibbons and Frank Beard said in a statement. “We, along with legions of ZZ Top fans around the world, will miss your steadfast presence, your good nature, and enduring commitment to providing that monumental bottom to the ‘Top’. We will forever be connected to that ‘Blues Shuffle in C.’ You will be missed greatly, amigo.”

Jul 28 21 02:45 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

rfordphotos wrote:
ZZ Top Bassist Dusty Hill Dead at 72

That one sure hits home.  I can't quite wrap my head around the fact that ZZ Top can really be that old...

Jul 28 21 07:57 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Pat Hitchcock, only daughter of Alfred Hitchcock, died today at age 93. To this day I don’t trust birds.

Aug 11 21 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

highStrangeness

Carmichael, California, US

Markie Post, the actress best known from the 80's sitcom 'Night Court', passed away at age 70, on August 7th. Apparently she had been diagnosed with cancer 4 years earlier.  Most of us remember her as Christine Sullivan from that series.  I wasn't too familiar with her other work, but I do remember Night Court, of course, which was a pretty funny show, one of the more memorable sitcoms of the 1980s.

Charles Robinson, her costar from Night Court, who played Mac Robinson (the lead court clerk, I believe), also passed away at age 75 from cancer, about a month ago, as well.  I definitely remember him, too.

Aug 11 21 03:38 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Rest in Peace Joe-

I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Galloway in the mid 90's at a dinner in DC honoring the veterans of the battle in the Ia Drang valley. It was obvious that the brotherhood he shared with those veterans was something he cherished. He was a war correspondent who was unlike many in Vietnam or any of the other wars he covered.
----------------------------------------------------

Joe Galloway, Decorated Vietnam War Correspondent, Dies at 79

He chronicled the first major battle of the war in “We Were Soldiers Once … and Young” and raised questions about the invasion of Iraq.

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/08/20/obituaries/19galloway1/merlin_193408584_59b39b6f-de3d-4c9c-8c35-3d87ddd7b44c-superJumbo.jpg

By Sam Roberts
Aug. 19, 2021
----  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/19/busi … Obituaries

Joe Galloway, a war correspondent whose wrenching account of the first major battle of the Vietnam War was the basis for the book “We Were Soldiers Once … and Young,” which became a best seller and the basis of a hit movie, died on Wednesday in Concord, N.C. He was 79.

His wife, Dr. Grace Liem, said the cause was complications of a heart attack.

Mr. Galloway started in journalism at 17 and worked for 22 years as a war correspondent and bureau chief for United Press International. He was the only civilian awarded a medal of valor by the Army for combat action in the Vietnam War.

[...]

“He hates war, and he loves soldiers,”Lewis Lord, a former colleague at U.S. News, told the Military Writers and Editors Association when it honored Mr. Galloway in 2006 on his return to his home in Texas from his reporting base in Washington.

[...]

Aug 20 21 10:05 am Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

Chuck Close, legendary and controversial artist who specialized in enormous, highly-detailed portraits, and whose legacy was tarnished by accusations of inappropriate behavior and sexual harassment, age 81. RIP.

Aug 20 21 01:48 pm Link

Clothing Designer

Baanthai

Don Everly of the Everly Bros, dead at 84. (Died today) His brother Phil died a few years ago. Their bluesy harmonies will always echo through my cavernous head. RIP.

Aug 22 21 12:18 pm Link

Photographer

Rhea Monson

Walnut Grove, Alabama, US

Legendary country singer song writer Tom T.Hall  died Aug. 20th 2021.
RIP. Tom.

Aug 22 21 01:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Rhea Monson wrote:
Legendary country singer song writer Tom T.Hall  died Aug. 20th 2021.
RIP. Tom.

Old Dogs and Children and Watermelon Wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45u0kdUgFgo

Wrote Harper Valley PTA- a record breaking song, and he wrote 11 more #1s

Aug 22 21 06:56 pm Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has passed away at 80.

A truly exceptional drummer, in an extremely influential band.   He like to say that the Rolling Stones was his "day job" that helped support his love of jazz.

RIP Charlie, you will be sorely missed.

Aug 24 21 11:06 am Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

LightDreams wrote:
Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts has passed away at 80.

A truly exceptional drummer, in an extremely influential band.   He like to say that the Rolling Stones was his "day job" that helped support his love of jazz.

RIP Charlie, you will be sorely missed.

what a bummer.

Rest in Peace Mr. Watts

The very first LP I bought when the family finally got a good stereo was "Between the Buttons" in early 1967. While everyone else was going nuts over the Beatles, I was a Stones Fan.

Makes me feel my age, losing an icon from my youth.

Thank you Charlie for some GREAT GREAT musical memories.
-------------------------------
the New York Times published a nice obituary:

Charlie Watts, Bedrock Drummer for the Rolling Stones, Dies at 80

Mr. Watts, who had no taste for the life of a pop idol, was an unflashy but essential presence with the band and brought to it a swinging style.

By Gavin Edwards
Aug. 24, 2021
Updated 1:58 p.m. ET
----  https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/24/arts … -dead.html

https://static01.nyt.com/images/2021/08/24/obituaries/24watts1/merlin_188382654_a1088d2d-d1dd-4fe3-85f0-518017152fee-superJumbo.jpg
Charlie Watts performing with the Rolling Stones in Berlin in 2018.Credit...Hayoung Jeon/EPA, via Shutterstock

Charlie Watts, whose strong but unflashy drumming powered the Rolling Stones for over 50 years, died on Tuesday in London. He was 80.

His death, in a hospital, was announced by his publicist, Bernard Doherty. No other details were immediately provided.

The Rolling Stones announced earlier this month that Mr. Watts would not be a part of the band’s forthcoming “No Filter” tour of the United States after he had undergone an unspecified emergency medical procedure, which the band’s representatives said had been successful.

Reserved, dignified and dapper, Mr. Watts was never as flamboyant, either onstage or off, as most of his rock-star peers, let alone the Stones’ lead singer, Mick Jagger; he was content to be one of the finest rock drummers of his generation, playing with a jazz-inflected swing that made the band’s titanic success possible. As the Stones guitarist Keith Richards said in his 2010 autobiography, “Life,” “Charlie Watts has always been the bed that I lie on musically.”

[...]

Aug 24 21 11:41 am Link

Photographer

LightDreams

Who would have guessed that Keith Richards would outlive Charlie Watts

Aug 24 21 11:49 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

LightDreams wrote:
Who would have guessed that Keith Richards would outlive Charlie Watts

Its not possible... he must be a vampire/alien in disguise as a human or something !!!

Aug 24 21 12:28 pm Link

Photographer

rfordphotos

Antioch, California, US

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:

Its not possible... he must be a vampire/alien in disguise as a human or something !!!

well, Keith has looked a bit like the "undead" for a decade or two.....

Aug 24 21 03:04 pm Link

Photographer

kickfight

Portland, Oregon, US

RIP Charlie. You will be missed. Now you are in R&R Heaven, reunited with Brian. sad

Aug 24 21 04:31 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Ed Asner
Nov 15, 1929-Aug 29, 2021
U.S. Army veteran

Famous Roles:  Lou Grant

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob … story.html

Aug 29 21 02:21 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

Bob Dole

Article regarding his World War 2 service and wounds, rather than his death.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/history/ … r-ii-hero/

Dec 06 21 12:19 am Link