Forums > General Industry > Signs that Ebay Seller may be screwing Buyer over.

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Ok, on December 2nd I won an Ebay auction for a set of Chanel brushes as a gift for my wife. I paid the auction via Paypal. I even added an extra $3.00 to the cost in order to have it shipped Priority USPS mail. This auction ended at approximately 4:30PM.

That same day I won another auction for a NARS face brush at approximately 11:30PM. This one only offered standard USPS.

Two days later I won an auction, again for my wife, this time they were disposable mascara brushes. Same as the second auction, just standard USPS shipping.

Now I have received both parcels from auctions 2 and 3 already. Both Sellers were outstanding when it came to correspondence.

Seller from Auction 1 on the other hand, has not as much as sent me a single e-mail. And this is even after I have sent a minimum of 4 e-mail inquiries. Even at the end of the auction, the only correspondence I received was the standard "You have won" from Ebay.

Oh, and even though the location on the auction said United States, I went to the resolution area of Paypal and it informed me that "The recipient of this payment is Non-U.S. - Verified".

So what do you think? Am I getting the shaft? Do I give it a little longer or proceed to take action immediately?

Thanks,

Gary

***Hey Mods! I'm thinking this thread should be moved to Off-Topic Discussion.

Dec 12 06 05:04 pm Link

Model

TheStitchWitch

Needville, Texas, US

Does not sound promising. How is the sellers feedback rating?

Dec 12 06 05:23 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

100% positive w/ 63 feedbacks - member since 09/06.

Dec 12 06 05:28 pm Link

Photographer

Chris Beyond

Tustin, California, US

I once had a similar problem with a seller. I e-mailed and e-mailed and e-mailed and never ever got the item and eBay pretty much just sent me form letters.

Months later I get a new feedback message.

Positive feedback saying that I was a great buyer.

...and I never got the item.

(angry growl goes here.)

Dec 12 06 05:32 pm Link

Photographer

Kay Thom

New York, New York, US

are they from buyer's or seller's? and hopefully not 50 from the same profile?

sometimes they take time to get back to you, sometimes they ship late, sometimes they'll put in their profile that they are gone from x to y date and will ship when they return, but in any event, you do have 30 days within the ebay system to lodge a complaint/ try and get your money back. i'd reccomend giving a week of non-respsonsiveness and then send an email saying you will be reporting the transaction to ebay/paypal if you don't hear anything back from the seller.

Dec 12 06 05:35 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Kam Photography wrote:
are they from buyer's or seller's? and hopefully not 50 from the same profile?
sometimes they take time to get back to you, sometimes they ship late, sometimes they'll put in their profile that they are gone from x to y date and will ship when they return, but in any event, you do have 30 days within the ebay system to lodge a complaint/ try and get your money back. i'd reccomend giving a week of non-respsonsiveness and then send an email saying you will be reporting the transaction to ebay/paypal if you don't hear anything back from the seller.

Buyers and Sellers up until 2 or 3 weeks ago, then all Buyers. I've been writing throughout the last 10 days with no reply. I'm not sure that it means anything, but all auctions that this person is Seller are marked "private".

Dec 12 06 05:49 pm Link

Model

NC17

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Ebay has specific steps outlined to take if you do not recieve any response from the seller. I'd encourage you to take a look and check to see what ebay allows you to do, and then send a note to the seller saying that you WILL follow through with Ebay on X date to get your money back. Paypal in combination with Ebay is pretty darn good about making sure that this happens.

Best of luck. As with most online auction things, its always a chance no matter how good the rating is.

Dec 12 06 06:04 pm Link

Model

immateria

Brooklyn, New York, US

GLB Graphics wrote:
Buyers and Sellers up until 2 or 3 weeks ago, then all Buyers. I've been writing throughout the last 10 days with no reply. I'm not sure that it means anything, but all auctions that this person is Seller are marked "private".

I would report the transaction to the dispute console. Have eBay sort it out.

Dec 12 06 06:33 pm Link

Photographer

Robert Bussey

Andover, New Hampshire, US

Sometimes when I buy on Ebay this happens then a few days later the package is on the door step upon arriving home. Wait the 7 days then seek resolution thru PayPal. In fact its happening to me as we speak.

Dec 12 06 06:37 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

BobPhotos wrote:
Sometimes when I buy on Ebay this happens then a few days later the package is on the door step upon arriving home. Wait the 7 days then seek resolution thru PayPal. In fact its happening to me as we speak.

It's been over 7 days so I think I will take steps this evening.

Dec 12 06 07:40 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Thanks to everyone for your help...

Dec 12 06 07:40 pm Link

Model

Adieu

I placed a bid (and won) last week on a watch. The seller had good ratings, but I still haven't received anything. I even emailed him asking for a confirmation number. Nothing.

Dec 12 06 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Ray Cornett

Sacramento, California, US

As someone who used to work at the main regional bulk USPS mail receiving center in Cincinnati for a couple of years, the priority mail thing is just as much of a crap shoot as sending it normaly. I have had some packages take over a month to get to where they were supposed to go when sent via 2 day priority.

This also IS the Christmas season so mail is going to be slower and slower the closer it gets to Christmas. The route your package has to take from the seller may be one of the bottle necked routes.

Dec 12 06 07:49 pm Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Primal Lens wrote:
As someone who used to work at the main regional bulk USPS mail receiving center in Cincinnati for a couple of years, the priority mail thing is just as much of a crap shoot as sending it normaly. I have had some packages take over a month to get to where they were supposed to go when sent via 2 day priority.

This also IS the Christmas season so mail is going to be slower and slower the closer it gets to Christmas. The route your package has to take from the seller may be one of the bottle necked routes.

That's a little encouraging then. If I do file a claim and then receive a package, I guess I can repay them.

Dec 12 06 08:05 pm Link

Photographer

San Francisco Nudes

Novato, California, US

Pull their contact information and call them.  If the number's bogus report them for false contact information - eBay takes that very seriously.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

Dec 13 06 12:08 am Link

Photographer

latex-fashions

Tampa, Florida, US

if any one sells on ebay and you pay with pay pay the seller has 7 or 10 days to mail it out NO matter what they say in the auction info about sending out within 15 days or whatever.. pay pal will do  a charge back.. go on there and read about it in the faq. they don't mess around. you will get your money back and you should have received an invoice as soon as they printed out the mailing lable. if not contact ebay and paypal right away. if you wait to long you forfit the money.

good luck.

Dec 13 06 07:27 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

San Francisco Nudes wrote:
Pull their contact information and call them.  If the number's bogus report them for false contact information - eBay takes that very seriously.

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQtZvbQQsofindtypeZ9

You see, this is great! Dummies like me would never think of locating a link like this. Thanks!

Dec 13 06 08:07 am Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

Not necesarilly the same problem, but I had something similar happen to me.  I ordered something that I thought was coming from a US seller and it turned out it was coming straight from china.  Took almost 3 weeks to get it.  It must have taken the slow boat.

Dec 13 06 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Cardillo Photography wrote:
Not necesarilly the same problem, but I had something similar happen to me.  I ordered something that I thought was coming from a US seller and it turned out it was coming straight from china.  Took almost 3 weeks to get it.  It must have taken the slow boat.

This is kind of where I am at the moment. Even though there was no mention of it on the auction, I discovered through Paypal that the Seller is NON-US Verified what ever that means. I wondering if I do pursue actions to get my money back then all of a sudden two days later there is the package, I don't want to seem like some impatient idiot, (though I did pay extra for priority mail).

Dec 13 06 08:59 am Link

Model

_Alexandra

Alexandria, Virginia, US

Since you paid with paypal, you can file a dispute with them within 30 days and if the seller doesn't provide a confirmation number, paypal will take the money out of their account and put it back in yours.

Dec 13 06 09:05 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

_Alexandra wrote:
Since you paid with paypal, you can file a dispute with them within 30 days and if the seller doesn't provide a confirmation number, paypal will take the money out of their account and put it back in yours.

Hopefully they maintain a balance. I know whenever I sell on Ebay, I transfer funds immediately.

Dec 13 06 09:10 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Primal Lens wrote:

And, since the seller isn't in the USA, there are international postal delays to figure in.  Plus added security measures put in place so packages get scanned at least twice if sent by air, etc., etc., etc.

When I sold something on Ebay, I had someone from South Korea whinging about the non-arrival of a package I sent the day the auction ended, he seemed not to realise that he was halfway round the world from me. and the item was bound to take a couple of weeks to arrive.

That said, at least the seller was PayPal verified, which is good if you need to get your money back if something has gone badly wrong.

Dec 13 06 09:27 am Link

Photographer

HEF Photography

Jacksonville, Florida, US

Ebayers ship at a different times....I ran into one case where the seller only shipped
once a week.....have you tried emailing the seller ?  Did the seller say that the item
would be shipped with delivery confirmation.  I would contact the seller and see if
the item has been shipped ?

Dec 13 06 09:33 am Link

Photographer

Gary Blanchette

Irvine, California, US

Harry Forsythe wrote:
Ebayers ship at a different times....I ran into one case where the seller only shipped
once a week.....have you tried emailing the seller ?  Did the seller say that the item
would be shipped with delivery confirmation.  I would contact the seller and see if
the item has been shipped ?

I have sent the Seller a minimum of 4 e-mails. I just got Seller details from Ebay including phone number.

Between long distance calls, extra for priority shipping, etc., I could have just bought the brush set locally and been done with it. On well, live and learn. smile

Dec 13 06 10:00 am Link