Post hidden on Aug 27, 2021 05:33 am
Reason: violates rules
Comments:
Spam

Aug 26 21 02:56 am Link

Model

Idontkaruh

Clarksville, Tennessee, US

I have many tattoos, maybe around 30 so far. I have yet to be turned down because of them though. I think a lot of people like the art, but I also understand it isn't for everybody and its definitely subjective and wont fit into everyone portfolio. But I love my art and the ones who like it, will come. Is what it is. smile

Sep 11 21 03:50 pm Link

Model

Modi Spark

Detmold, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany

Hey there!

I am having a few tattoos, even though they are indeed limiting my job possibilities I am mostelikely happy with those.
It's also possible to cover them up with camouflage, products are getting better and better.
Except that one pretty huge one I ve got on my leg. It's super huge, super bad made and massively expensive to get it removed (I am doing laser treatment since one year and I am having about  2-3 more years ahead).
Absolutely regretting that one.

Jun 16 22 04:27 pm Link

Photographer

Beyond Boudoir Photo

Portland, Oregon, US

This is an issue that is quite important to me.  I'm a pro photog in an interesting position regarding tattoos on models.   This is due to the fact that I shoot in two different markets.

I do private intimate shoots for people who pay me just like they would pay a mainstream boudoir photographer.  Many of my clients have tattoos and I have fun incorporating them into the visual story I craft that describes the client.

On the other hand, I do a lot of nude/erotic shoots to create photosets that I sell to a group of buyers located around the world.   I believe the guys who buy my work are an older, upscale demographic.  As you might expect from this group, they really don't like tattoos.  This limits which models I can pay to pose for these shoots. 

I happen to live in the Portland, Oregon area.  There used to be a plentiful supply of un-inked nude models for me to work with, but it seems that in the last few years, most of the models (and dancers) here have become tattoo collectors.  There is a tattoo parlor on every block and in the Summer you see tats on everybody as you walk through stores.  Along with the tats come piercings and exotic hair.  This used to be called the alternative look, but it has become so common that natural models are now in very short supply and can charge higher rates.  They are the new alternative look.

In order to find natural models, I've been forced to travel to other cities and have actually gotten quite good at arranging these photo trips. 

Being constantly surrounded by tattoos here in Portland, I've learned to recognize the expensive ones vs the cheap ones.   I've even become something of a tattoo snob.  Not something I would have expected.

If someone wants to choose a lucrative career, I'd say look into the tattoo removal industry.  I'm sure you'd make a lot more money than you would in photography.

Jul 11 22 10:25 pm Link

Photographer

ImageCRAFTbyAleks

Albany, New York, US

I lean to no ink. Several photographers have pointed out that tats often pull the focus onto the design and can potentially distract  the viewer from the overall image. Others stated that ink may not reflect the theme itself and hinders (or obliterates) the intent/concept of the image. When some countered that hair, etc., can do the same... true, but there may be more flexibility in restyling the hair to suit the concept.

There is also one very important reason I tend to not like tats on models: all too many are ill-conceived and do not flatter the model's physique through light and shadows. Their choices were personal ones, and kudos for that.  However, most of the photographers I know like to play with capturing the human/facial form in its many modes of expression through light and shadow. If ink masks the facial structure or musculature of the body, the skin of the model may as well be covered in a parka. If I wanted to photograph a parka, or a tat, that's it's own goal. For other things I may want to capture, not so much.

People, and in this case models,, may do whatever they want with their bodies... but other creatives may choose to do without their physical artistic expression and seek out 'types' more aligned to what they're trying to achieve.

Jul 18 22 07:29 am Link

Photographer

DSJR Photography

San Antonio, Texas, US

What gets me.  Is I have no tattoos and they show up with 3-4 small to medium tattoos.  You can't see them in the photos, cause they are in the opposite side.

Jul 29 22 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

Acraftman1313

Greensboro, North Carolina, US

Starting out as a self-employed individual I realized the largest share of the market to tap into involved "herd mentality" what is everybody else doing. I realized most people are trend followers not trend setters so why fight the system. I had mentioned to a model 15 years ago I had tattoo's old enough to be her father and her response was yeah but when you got them it wasn't cool. I will say the trend has out lived avocado refrigerators. But then again there are still old dudes wearing ear rings.

Jul 30 22 07:17 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

In the UK, most models nowadays have tattoos so you really need to be able to make your picture ideas work around them.

Sep 18 22 09:03 am Link

Photographer

Perfect Exposure

New York, New York, US

JustHenry wrote:
It's hard to improve on God's handiwork.

Sep 20 22 11:12 pm Link

Photographer

Perfect Exposure

New York, New York, US

That is well said.

Sep 20 22 11:13 pm Link

Photographer

MrJoelieC

Milford, New Hampshire, US

At the risk of bringing an old topic back from the dead...

I have to admit I have totally flipped on this topic... Errrr Kinda... If you had asked me if I prefer models with or without Tattoos 5 years ago, I would have said "Without" without thinking or batting an eye...

But then, a few years ago I met some models who have them... If the Tattoos are done well, you can actually look past them... Well Done Tattoos that have meaning and artistry are much more profound and become part of the person... There are bad tattoos out there...

But additionally, and coming from a person who does not have any tattoos myself, I found the people I met who had them and had them done by a real tattoo artist are people who really think about what they are doing to their body... It's not a "Drunk on a bet Tattoo" it's a Tattoo that has a story... A deep meaning for the person who then asked the artist to convey that meaning...

I honestly didn't get that at first. Once I did I started to look at not only models with Tattoos differently but also everyday folks who had them as well...

For my Genre of Cars and Car Shows men and women with Tattoos fit in perfectly and I actually like them now... If photographed correctly (And I'm not sure I have mastered this at all.) you can capture a deeper story. Or more likely, make a beautiful tattoo to enhance the natural god-given beauty that was already...

That all being said, I'm not going to say I never saw someone who had a bad tattoo... I think it would be naive to say there is no such thing as a bad one...But I'm not dismissing a model male or female just because they have one, but I might be a tad critical of the quality. And maybe I'm a little bit of a bad person for that? Not sure?

-=Joel=-

Sep 21 22 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Frustrating for Me as a Fashion Photographer

I recently discovered a Beautiful Tall Lean Asian Model who I think has Agency Potential

But They won’t even Look at Her because She has one arm covered in Tattoos

and She is better Looking than most of the Local Asian Models across all the Agencies in my area

Sep 21 22 11:21 pm Link

Model

DarlingAmber

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia

I had tattoos before seeking this kind of work, and before seeking acting work. I am aware that having tattoos will limit the jobs and work available to me - though I have absolutely had paid gigs from photographers who specifically like to shoot tattooed models, and interest from casting directors because the tattoos I have are good for some kinds of roles (alternative, bikie chick,  background actor in a prison, etc.)

I've had one featured extra role in a film where they used the tattoos and another where they covered them up by putting long sleeves and a wig on me.

I think my tattoos do give me a kind of niche appeal for certain jobs, while restricting me from others.

Oct 10 22 07:23 am Link

Model

Estelle Laufeia

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

I have a lot of tattoos, full sleeve on my right arm (shoulder to hand) that’s themed around my favourite music, movies, season of the year & love for Halloween that has a lot of meaning to me as each represents a different part of my life, I have a half sleeve on my leg that’ll soon be a full sleeve that’s woodland/animal themed along with a quote ‘pain is beauty’ on my underboob/upper stomach area along with a few others. I only regret one but it’s 3/4 of the way through being lasered now. As for if it has affected me getting work or anything, it hasn’t. It’s also ended up making me more money in my main job which is an appearance based industry (18+ work). I made less when I wasn’t as tattooed.

Oct 16 22 10:08 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

E Thompson Photography wrote:
Don't forget cosmetic surgery.

+1
Nobody every complained about them tiddies or a rhinoplasty.

Life goes on. Tattoos come and they stay. Or get covered in makeup. Or shopped. I really don't understand the huge deal any more.

Has not cost me any jobs, but then again, mine are easily hidden in posing. If I had sleeves (which I wish I had, but I look too 'clean' in a cocktail dress..), I'd probably not get certain gigs.

Oct 17 22 07:46 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Just two points:

1) It's interesting that the vast majority of respondents to this post have been photographers, not models, even though the OP question was directed to models.

2) How would a model know she was passed over for a gig due to her tattoos? Unless she responded to a casting call and the person responded with, "Sorry. You got tattoos.", they wouldn't know. When browsing for someone with the look I need, I don't let those that I didn't consider that I looked at their port, and skipped them for ________ reason. They wouldn't know I was looking, and they wouldn't know I was looking through their port.

Would I shoot a model that has tattoos? Absolutely! Would I look for someone without any tattoos? Absolutely! Would I shoot with someone with 3 legs and a hump? Send them over!

Oct 18 22 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

ImageMakerStudio

Bloomington, Illinois, US

I'm currently developing a project where I am photographing people with tattoos. The direction I am going is more of a document of the community of people that have ink. I am not featuring the ink per-se, but rather fine portraits of the individuals featuring the ink. For this project, tattoos are not just a plus but necessary.

Dec 05 22 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lallure Photographic

Taylors, South Carolina, US

I will consider one or two, small, non controversial tattoos, only. Large, extensive tattoos, not at all. Controversial tattoos, not at all.

Those who model need to recognize the truth about that.

Rick

Sep 08 23 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Frederick C

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Does it not depend on the image the photographer wishes shoot or sell or exhibit? Hire tattoos if you want to shoot tattoos on skin; if not, hire otherwise.  I personally wish to hire less tattoos for Art Nude, as I want the nude, not the perceived life cycle or journey of a model.  Each to his own, but always hard collaborate with differing needs especially when the model’s figure is pleasing, but not the packing.

Love the nude, it’s gorgeous, nothing like it and everyone is different; simply magic!

Apr 19 24 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Some people like tattoos, others don't. I like them and so do most of my models. I have a tattoo myself.

Apr 20 24 02:02 am Link