Forums > Model Colloquy > Model rates

Photographer

AJCG Photography

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

I was recently quoted the following rates by a model on here. She is not famous or anything.  I thought they were very much above average industry rates and was wondering if I am missing something.  The other thought I had was, maybe these are the rates she quotes when she really doesn't want to work with someone.

Casual indoor/outdoor: USD175/hour
Glamour/Dramatic: USD250/hour
Implied nude: USD450/hour
Fetish: USD400-500/hour (depends)

Sep 18 20 08:31 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Sounds completely unreasonable. Maybe she put the decimal point in the wrong place. lol

Sometimes I see a rate breakdown that just makes no sense. For example:

Has some experience but a poor portfolio.
Rates:
   $35/hour              (pretty good basic rate)
   $120/4 hours       (good discount for more time - averages $30/hour)
   $400/6+ hours     ( What?! That works out to a rate of $66.67/hour!
                                 Does she think any photographer would book 6 hours at that inflated rate?
)
     Started off OK giving a discount for more hours.
Then very faulty logic kicked in, to penalize for more shooting! Not a good approach.

More reasonable would be:
   $35/hour  (With 2 hour minimum)       (pretty good basic rate)
   $120/4 hours  (half day)     (good discount for more time - averages $30/hour)
   $220/8 hours  (full day)      (discount continues encouraging more hours - averages $27.50/hour)

She also demands "50% NON REFUNDABLE deposit is required at time of booking"
With the high rate of flaking by many models, who is going to pay a non-refundable deposit,
    then have her flake and lose all that money?
Sometimes faulty "logic" shoots them in the foot!

Oct 15 20 08:41 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Anthony Greco Photography wrote:
The other thought I had was, maybe these are the rates she quotes when she really doesn't want to work with someone.

lol

I'd been asked recently by a Friend what a fair rate would be for a simple lifestyle type shoot.  My response for Her was $50hr with a 2 hr minimum, which I deemed as reasonable considering experience.

She said She wouldn't work for $50hr

yikes

Oct 15 20 08:44 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

I work with a lot of traveling models, and the average rate is $100/hr.

Oct 15 20 08:48 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I was recently quoted the following rates by a model on here. She is not famous or anything.  I thought they were very much above average industry rates and was wondering if I am missing something.  The other thought I had was, maybe these are the rates she quotes when she really doesn't want to work with someone.

Those are rates she quotes when she doesn't want to work at all.  Do they come with the stipulation that she get all the RAW files, too?

Oct 15 20 08:54 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

ROUA IMAGES wrote:

Those are rates she quotes when she doesn't want to work at all.  Do they come with the stipulation that she get all the RAW files, too?

lol

rate includes their retouching fees.

Oct 15 20 08:56 am Link

Photographer

ROUA IMAGES

Phoenix, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
lol

rate includes their retouching fees.

And first rights to publish and sell without credit attribution.

Oct 15 20 09:01 am Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

She either doesn't want to work or wants to be highly compensated if she grants you the honor of her presence.
I have never had a rate quoted over $150 an hour, and never paid more than $125 aha hour and that was for a very popular , published stunning model. most are $100 or less and that is for nude, outdoor casual clothed $30-50 Hr

Oct 15 20 09:40 am Link

Model

Kayla_Ann

Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US

Those nude and fetish rates are higher than the full session rates of pro Dommes I know. My jaw dropped.

Oct 15 20 11:54 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

yikes

Tell her to try McDonalds!

Oct 16 20 11:43 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Lots depends on location... I live in Manhattan. But if a model has to travel over 1 hour or more each way I understand a higher fee. I have collaborated with traveling models  who try to pack several shoots a day and have reasonable rates.

Oct 16 20 03:25 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I'd been asked recently by a Friend what a fair rate would be for a simple lifestyle type shoot.  My response for Her was $50hr with a 2 hr minimum, which I deemed as reasonable considering experience.

yikes

Was this a real friend or a social media friend?

63fotos wrote:

For nudes.

Oct 16 20 04:23 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Mark Salo wrote:
Was this a real friend or a social media friend?

Real and someone I have worked with previously (tf).

Oct 16 20 04:33 pm Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Models are free to ask whatever they want. If you want to work with a particular model and her rate is too high then you can either negotiate or walk away. It's not that hard.
I don't understand why photographers ask models for rates if they have a specific number in their head already they are willing to pay. Why not save the back and forth and just tell someone what you're willing to pay and they can either accept, negotiate or ignore? Why does there need to be drama?
You also didn't say in your post what your message to her contained or what you were asking her to shoot. There are a lot of factors that affect a rate quote. Usage, location, content, etc etc.

Oct 16 20 06:47 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

( as said above )

In the Free Market - Models ( and Photographers etc ) can ask for what they want

The Rates this Lady is asking for pale in comparison to what some Top Fashion Models and their Agencies would seek

Oct 16 20 08:34 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

We're in the middle of a pandemic. None of those rates cover an ER bill 🤷‍♀️

Oct 16 20 09:00 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Laura UnBound wrote:

In USA.

Oct 16 20 10:55 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

Laura UnBound wrote:

I have declined working with models because of the pandemic.
I tested positive for coronavirus today.

Oct 16 20 11:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

PHP-Photography wrote:

In USA.

My wife recently went to ER.
Her insurance covered it.

Oct 16 20 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

You may be correct!!

Yup, when I used to model I would maybe offer a real high rate
rather than tell them ''I just don't want to work with you''

Occasionally it misfired, because they'd pay it!!
- but none of those were a big regret

Oct 16 20 11:34 pm Link

Photographer

Expression Unlimited

Oceanside, California, US

*  Friendly side note

Do you realize you have more than 450 images posted in your MM?!!??

I'm sure if you took a lot out, just leaving the best ones (and lots are great) you would be taken more seriously.
That might help!

Oct 16 20 11:36 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

PHP-Photography wrote:

In USA.

Well the OP is in Jersey, so...yeah.

Oct 16 20 11:47 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Perhaps they were using a currency converter?

The use of USD in the quote seems off and would be a red flag, (to Me).

Oct 17 20 02:54 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have declined working with models because of the pandemic.
I tested positive for coronavirus today.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Oct 17 20 06:30 am Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

MoRina wrote:

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I have no symptoms.
I have to quarantine.  Feel fine.  I had the test because I was exposed to the virus.

Thanks!.

Oct 17 20 06:35 am Link

Photographer

63fotos

Flagstaff, Arizona, US

Mark Salo wrote:
For nudes.

For clothed work as well
That's pretty much a flat rate
However, some do have a sliding scale

Oct 17 20 09:51 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

Flex Photography wrote:
Tell her to try McDonalds!

Do you realize that many models are intelligent and smart businesspeople? Our options aren't either fast food or modeling. Not that there's any shame in working fast food, but we aren't all choosing between minimum wage jobs or lowball offers from photographers who have no respect for us.

When I work for myself, I make double or more the rate I charge photographers. So yes, accepting a photoshoot may bring in a little extra money, but it could also take away from my regular income, depending on the time and effort spent.

Oct 17 20 10:53 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

Perhaps they were using a currency converter?

The use of USD in the quote seems off and would be a red flag, (to Me).

When posting in a place with an international reach, I always put "USD" when setting a price. There are other countries that use dollar as the name of their currency  and the $ symbol to denote it; Barbados for instance. ($1USD is equal to $2BSD). It makes sure that my message is received accurately.

Oct 18 20 10:00 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

I don't consider it illogical or unreasonable when a model quotes prices better than the average industry rate and/or stipulates additional conditions as part of a compensation package.

Oct 18 20 10:06 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Francisco Castro wrote:
When posting in a place with an international reach, I always put "USD" when setting a price. There are other countries that use dollar as the name of their currency  and the $ symbol to denote it; Barbados for instance. ($1USD is equal to $2BSD). It makes sure that my message is received accurately.

Ok. that scenario I understand.

If You, as a Photographer in the U.S. received a quote from a Model also in the U.S. with USD not a $ sign before the figure You wouldn't find it a little odd?

I would.

Oct 18 20 02:05 pm Link

Model

Kayla_Ann

63fotos wrote:

For clothed work as well
That's pretty much a flat rate
However, some do have a sliding scale

Agreed. My prices are always a negotiation and they can go higher or go down to $0/hr, but I call $100/hr my base rate.

Oct 19 20 12:07 pm Link

Model

Kayla_Ann

Ok. that scenario I understand.

If You, as a Photographer in the U.S. received a quote from a Model also in the U.S. with USD not a $ sign before the figure You wouldn't find it a little odd?

I would.

Could easily be copy and pasted from somewhere. Why would you expect the model to do more work when it is unnecessary?

Oct 19 20 12:08 pm Link

Model

Kayla_Ann

MoRina wrote:
Do you realize that many models are intelligent and smart businesspeople? Our options aren't either fast food or modeling. Not that there's any shame in working fast food, but we aren't all choosing between minimum wage jobs or lowball offers from photographers who have no respect for us.

When I work for myself, I make double or more the rate I charge photographers. So yes, accepting a photoshoot may bring in a little extra money, but it could also take away from my regular income, depending on the time and effort spent.

Seriously. Same. I model because I enjoy it more than anything else. If I want a ton of money I have options that pay a much higher and more stable income.

Photographers also love forgetting about the time and money models they ask to do their own hair and makeup, and provide wardrobe, are putting into their wardrobe, and doing their hair and makeup before a shoot. That isn't free either.

Oct 19 20 12:11 pm Link

Photographer

LavishPhotography

Miami, Florida, US

Kayla_Ann wrote:
Seriously. Same. I model because I enjoy it more than anything else. If I want a ton of money I have options that pay a much higher and more stable income.

Photographers also love forgetting about the time and money models they ask to do their own hair and makeup, and provide wardrobe, are putting into their wardrobe, and doing their hair and makeup before a shoot. That isn't free either.

I simply LOVE this mundane comparison when it pops up in every photographer/model conversation.. But it too can go another way;

Models also love forgetting about the time and money they ask the photographers to buy their own equipment (which is an endless rabbit-hole) travel to/from a location, pay for any permit that may be needed, provide wardrobe, hair/mua, lunch/dinner, pay for Adobe/Editing softwares subscriptions, cloud storage, spending hours of personal time on end using/learning/mastering said softwares, pay for retouching, etc. etc. etc. and then after all that, we apparently owe you whichever pictures we had to pay you to shoot. That isn't free either.

Oct 20 20 06:50 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

LavishPhotography wrote:

I simply LOVE this mundane comparison when it pops up in every photographer/model conversation.. But it too can go another way;

Models also love forgetting about the time and money they ask the photographers to buy their own equipment (which is an endless rabbit-hole) travel to/from a location, pay for any permit that may be needed, provide wardrobe, hair/mua, lunch/dinner, pay for Adobe/Editing softwares subscriptions, cloud storage, spending hours of personal time on end using/learning/mastering said softwares, pay for retouching, etc. etc. etc. and then after all that, we apparently owe you whichever pictures we had to pay you to shoot. That isn't free either.

Oh the adobe subscription is a wallet murderer. I am cursed with the ability to video edit. I think its 55 bucks a month-I have the full suite. I pay $15 a month to box.com so clients can download tiff files etc. When I shoot beauty for my book, I pay $200 for someone really skilled.Whenever I shot at El Matador, I was paying with insurance a fee of $110 and then there was the parking.  When I create a short film I pay licensing fees for sound, for some clips--like leopards, and it adds up. . . But my car is the real killer of my wallet, and then there is the business shuttering covid-19

If you shoot video gear cost is a horror story. But I have been depreciating it so . . .

Oct 20 20 08:18 pm Link

Photographer

LavishPhotography

Miami, Florida, US

LA StarShooter wrote:

Oh the adobe subscription is a wallet murderer. I am cursed with the ability to video edit. I think its 55 bucks a month-I have the full suite. I pay $15 a month to box.com so clients can download tiff files etc. When I shoot beauty for my book, I pay $200 for someone really skilled.Whenever I shot at El Matador, I was paying with insurance a fee of $110 and then there was the parking.  When I create a short film I pay licensing fees for sound, for some clips--like leopards, and it adds up. . . But my car is the real killer of my wallet, and then there is the business shuttering covid-19

If you shoot video gear cost is a horror story. But I have been depreciating it so . . .

I used to shoot/edit video as well but I really couldn't get with the HOURS of cutting/sorting and editing clips lol.. but yeah all of that stuff adds up quickly! This is why I hate the comparison of who's time is worth more or who's more invested in their craft. It should be as easy as collaborating if both parties like each others work and can benefit from it, or either party pays the other for their services. I have been rotating between 3-4 models that I've worked with for years because it's sooo much of a headache to find consistent, ambitious models nowadays - or at least on this site.

Oct 20 20 11:30 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

LavishPhotography wrote:

I used to shoot/edit video as well but I really couldn't get with the HOURS of cutting/sorting and editing clips lol.. but yeah all of that stuff adds up quickly! This is why I hate the comparison of who's time is worth more or who's more invested in their craft. It should be as easy as collaborating if both parties like each others work and can benefit from it, or either party pays the other for their services. I have been rotating between 3-4 models that I've worked with for years because it's sooo much of a headache to find consistent, ambitious models nowadays - or at least on this site.

One thing I left out: photographer's insurance, another money plague. Insurance is necessary. But still it kills . . .

Oct 20 20 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Vector One Photography

Well, a couple of things... she is a well established agency model and those are her standard agency rates or she doesn't want to work with you and was blowing you off or, and my personal favorite... she's just f**king nuts.

Oct 21 20 12:50 pm Link

Clothing Designer

veypurr

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

This reminds me of an anecdote I have. My friend asked if I would ever play bass again. I said I would and gave him an outrageous lists of demands. He said "no one will ever give you that" I said "exactly".

I am not saying that model is doing that to you, I just thought it I would throw that little story in.

Oct 21 20 03:57 pm Link

Photographer

C.C. Holdings

63fotos wrote:

Another +1 to that

I have never had a flake or cancellation at $100/hr

I offer this as "the budget for models" and it is accepted.

I compensate for time and I don't compensate on a sliding scale of skin, although I understand that many models do and there is a market for tiered exposure. Most of my shoots involve a degree of nudity and my budget is coincidentally high enough for that as well.

Enough of you photographers are pinching pennies and wasting so much time negotiating that models with higher rates will also accept a quickly offered $100/hr rate.

Oct 22 20 04:46 am Link