Forums > Model Colloquy > When models attack...

Photographer

AJCG Photography

Stroudsburg, Pennsylvania, US

So this week I sent a message to a model confirming a shoot we had planned for this Friday. I asked her to clarify whether she had any tattoos. Her profile said that she had no tattoos, but in looking at 1 particular photo it seemed her arm might be covering a very large tattoo of 2 pistols of all things. She asked if her having tattoos was a deal breaker for me and I said yes having a large prominent tattoo of that sort would indeed not be aligned with my vision for the shoot, and was unexpected since her profile indicated that she had no tattoos at all. She replied, and I quote [sic], "I can wish you ho eat shit and fuck off boring dumb ass." I took the high road in my response, but she ghosted and blocked me.

Aug 11 20 10:24 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Im sorry but why wasnt this confirmed before you booked a shoot date ?
You have been on MM for 10 years you should know how broken the site is and the need to check on issues you find critical to model selection.
Seems backwards to have this conversation after the fact.
Perhaps she feels the same way hence her frustration ?

Aug 11 20 11:19 am Link

Photographer

AJCG Photography

I suppose if I am going to continue to use model mayhem, I need to screen grab the entire description of the model's specifications, send it to them, and ask them to confirm that every single detail is accurate.

Aug 11 20 11:26 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Anthony Greco Photography wrote:
I suppose if I am going to continue to use model mayhem, I need to screen grab the entire description of the model's specifications, send it to them, and ask them to confirm that every single detail is accurate.

Thats how things work here isnt it ? Thats the way MM has always worked for me.
Out of date Stats, Out of date pics etc
Anything thats a deal breaker I ask about during screening process.

Aug 11 20 11:32 am Link

Photographer

AJCG Photography

I guess I've been naive, assuming that models would ensure their details are correct, and lucky. A bigger concern for me now is how to weed out potentially emotionally unstable people, since my studio is my home where my family lives. This model had decent credits.

Aug 11 20 11:44 am Link

Photographer

Paolo D Photography

San Francisco, California, US

A bigger concern for me now is how to weed out potentially emotionally unstable people, since my studio is my home where my family lives.

everyone is emotionally unstable.
same suggestion i give everyone: if you don't feel comfortable shooting, then i suggest not to shoot anymore.
Also if your family is there, maybe safer for the whole human race not to shoot during a pandemic, but thats your call.

By the way why did you post this in the model section of the forum?
next time you have a story about a shoot going bad because of miscommunication just stick it in general industry, or better yet even off topic since its more of a rant type of situation anyways.

Sorry if this post sounds like im being harsh to your actions.
Nice troll work on the thread title. wink

That was a bit of an unintelligible response from the model, but nothing that couldn't have been avoided with better communication before. I don't know how long you'd been communicating with this person, but if a couple days before a shoot all of a sudden you told me my look didnt work I'd be kind of pissed too.

Aug 11 20 01:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

So this week I sent a message to a model confirming a shoot we had planned for this Friday. I asked her to clarify whether she had any tattoos. Her profile said that she had no tattoos, but in looking at 1 particular photo it seemed her arm might be covering a very large tattoo of 2 pistols of all things. She asked if her having tattoos was a deal breaker for me and I said yes having a large prominent tattoo of that sort would indeed not be aligned with my vision for the shoot, and was unexpected since her profile indicated that she had no tattoos at all. She replied, and I quote [sic], "I can wish you ho eat shit and fuck off boring dumb ass." I took the high road in my response, but she ghosted and blocked me.

I wouldn't have bothered to respond.

Aug 11 20 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Znude!

Baton Rouge, Louisiana, US

What brand and caliber pistols were they?

Aug 11 20 05:22 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Finding out the accuracy of the stats... determining emotional stablity... assessing safety of working together... Those are all things to suss out in emails long before you bother to schedule the shoot.

And once you got the meltdown response, why bother trying to reply to that? What did you think would come of it? It's best just to walk away at that point.

Aug 11 20 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

In casting I mention no tattoos. Usually, I look at more than a MM profile. Her anger wouldn't have caused me to write about it. I don't think its wise to write about things. Models may think you're too sensitive or worse.

Aug 11 20 11:19 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

When models attack...

Wasn't there a Movie?

Every Photographer needs to experience the verbal wrath of an angry Model,  it helps build character.

Aug 12 20 02:59 am Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

Brooklyn Bridge Images wrote:
You have been on MM for 10 years you should know how broken the site is

Has nothing to do with this site, every modeling site has the same problem. Same thing with age.

Aug 12 20 06:13 am Link

Photographer

Red Sky Photography

Germantown, Maryland, US

When I find a model that I am interested in booking for a shoot, one of the first messages I send asks:

Are your Stats correct

What is the current length and color of your hair

Which image in your port best represents your current look

Those are all important to me, I don't care about Tattoos but if I did, I would ask that too.

Those are some of the reasons I find it easier to book from a MM profile than from FB or IG where often there isn't even a model's state specified.

I venture that there are as many unstable photographers out here as there are models smile

Aug 12 20 06:45 am Link

Photographer

AJCG Photography

Red Sky Photography wrote:
When I find a model that I am interested in booking for a shoot, one of the first messages I send asks:

Are your Stats correct

What is the current length and color of your hair

Which image in your port best represents your current look

Those are all important to me, I don't care about Tattoos but if I did, I would ask that too.

Those are some of the reasons I find it easier to book from a MM profile than from FB or IG where often there isn't even a model's state specified.

I venture that there are as many unstable photographers out here as there are models smile

These are great questions that I should have been asking all along. Amazing that I have managed to do pretty well for so long. I am going to integrate these into my standard approach. Thanks.

Aug 13 20 07:26 am Link

Photographer

Carle Photo

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

All this could have been avoided if casting was done in the beginning rather than after BOOKING.
They are not the same...

If I have a project that does not allow/want tattoos, then I cast for that in the very first message.

Hi I'm booking shoots about *yada yada*
I'm booking models with NO tattoos, & right red hand.
The shoots will take place on Tuesdays, 7:00 pm
New Orleans Studio
Pay rate is $$/2 hours
Link to portfolio is:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3988772/viewall

Link to shoot moodboard is:
https://www.pinterest.com/carlephotography/magnolia/

Please respond by (date) if you're interested in the booking.

Then you can go over the details and confirm.

Aug 13 20 12:45 pm Link

Photographer

The Falcons Nest

Brooklyn, New York, US

Sometimes you just can’t weed out the crazies. I try to be nice to everybody but crazies are out there. But it comes with the turf.

I remember booking a model for a fashion nude shoot. Non-exclusive agency model. Tear sheets.”The look” and the whole nine. About a week later I contacted her telling her who the Makeup Artist (another woman) would be. The girl threw an absolute fit! She messaged me a berserker rant about me putting her on display and having “...all these extra people”  standing around staring at her at the shoot. I apologized assuring her that it would’ve only been her, I and the MUA but that I would cancel the MUA if it made her uncomfortable. But by then she could not reign the crazy back in. So I voiced my discomfort about her aggression and told her I was canceling the shoot. Then she really went off. But there wasn't any way in hell I was going to pay a crazy person to be stuck in a room alone with them naked to claim God knows what later on.

Funny thing is less than a month later she responded to another one of my casting calls as if nothing ever happened. I never even bothered to respond to her.

Aug 14 20 06:16 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

I'm sure with her attitude and professional communication style that "model" will enjoy a successful and lucrative career. facepalm

I can see how the stats (and tattoos) questions are annoying and frustrating but after so many years of shooting surely you'll be comfortable asking for a recent bathing suit selfie of the prospect?

Aug 15 20 06:37 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Whoops. DP

Aug 15 20 06:37 am Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Carle Photo wrote:
All this could have been avoided if casting was done in the beginning rather than after BOOKING.
They are not the same...

If I have a project that does not allow/want tattoos, then I cast for that in the very first message.

Hi I'm booking shoots about *yada yada*
I'm booking models with NO tattoos, & right red hand.
The shoots will take place on Tuesdays, 7:00 pm
New Orleans Studio
Pay rate is $$/2 hours
Link to portfolio is:
https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/3988772/viewall

Link to shoot moodboard is:

https://www.pinterest.com/carlephotography/magnolia/

Please respond by (date) if you're interested in the booking.

Then you can go over the details and confirm.

When I put up a casting I always put no tattoos but I still get responses from models with tattoos.
I asked one model that was very full of tattoos why she responded? She messaged me back with an explanation of what made her tattoos special.
But the problem here with trying to cast a model goes beyond the written descriptions. With all the overly processed, manipulated images it can be very difficult to know what the person actually looks like. I shoot film and I have to scan the prints to post but I do not photoshop and retouch so what you see is strictly make up and lighting.

Aug 22 20 06:27 am Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Aug 30 20 09:15 pm Link

Model

Michelle Genevieve

Gaithersburg, Maryland, US

This thread has inspired me to make sure my profile is up to date. Thanks!

Sep 20 20 08:46 am Link

Photographer

AE Photography

Quartzsite, Arizona, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Wasn't there a Movie?

Every Photographer needs to experience the verbal wrath of an angry Model,  it helps build character.

I wish there was a like button!

Sep 23 20 06:06 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Wasn't there a Movie?

I am glad that I haven't had that experience!

Sep 23 20 07:03 pm Link

Photographer

Sal W Hanna

Huntington Beach, California, US

This isn't your fault. Her response is unprofessional and not updating her profile is either her being deliberate or an oversight. If she still hasn't updated it, then it's deliberate. If this is your first time dealing with an unprofessional response, get ready for a whole lot more. Just move on and find another model more suited for your vision.

Sep 24 20 08:48 pm Link

Photographer

Joe Tomasone

Spring Hill, Florida, US

Well, let's flip this around a little..  As a moderator, I can assure you that photographers attack as well.   Generally this takes the form of a photographer whose offer to shoot is declined for whatever reason and an unhinged tirade about how fat and ugly the model is follows.   

So while models do absolutely go off at times, they are far from the only ones.   

To read flagged PMs that both models and photographers share with us is to lose faith in humanity sometimes.

Sep 25 20 07:51 am Link

Model

daniellekitson

Munich, Bavaria, Germany

I feel for you, and others that have to put up with this.  I've discussed with more than a few other models who tell me things like "well, I just have a small tattoo on my ankle / lower back / wherever, so it doesn't really count.  By the time I get to the shoot, the photographer just has to deal with it".

It seems having an up to date profile is an absolute bare minimum.  I mean, if you walk into an Apple store and order a silver iPhone with 128gb memory, you don't expect being given a white phone with half the memory and still be forced to pay?

Oct 06 20 12:52 am Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

If someone’s port photos are more than a year or two old, I ask the model to take a bathroom selfie and ask if their build or tattoo situation has changed from their most recently posted images. The models who have been a pleasure to work with are upfront, honest and reasonable. Models who are cagey and defensive at the reasonable question if anything has changed in the past coupe of years, are models I probably do not want to book.

Oct 07 20 12:58 pm Link

Photographer

Jon Winkleman Photo

Providence, Rhode Island, US

Joe Tomasone wrote:
Well, let's flip this around a little..  As a moderator, I can assure you that photographers attack as well.   Generally this takes the form of a photographer whose offer to shoot is declined for whatever reason and an unhinged tirade about how fat and ugly the model is follows.   

So while models do absolutely go off at times, they are far from the only ones.   

To read flagged PMs that both models and photographers share with us is to lose faith in humanity sometimes.

Joe:
I have had models tell me of other photographers with whom they negotiated a particular shoot regarding nudity and partial nudity and then the photographer ambushed them and got aggressive that they do more explicit things outside of what was negotiated prior. Both parties have a responsibility to be honest and upfront as to what they expect and agree to prior to booking the shoot. If either party was dishonest or does not honor that agreement, the other party has every right to cancel and walk away. I tell my models they are required to present a legal photo ID at the time they sign the release. One model with a profile here did the shoot though refused to do many of the work that was negotiated in advanced and then refused to present a photo ID or sign the release. I told them point blank that the agreement was payment after presenting their ID and signing the release so therefore I will neither be paying them nor giving them copies of the images (which I cannot post or use anyways without a release)

Oct 07 20 12:59 pm Link

Photographer

D-SCAPES

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

This is exactly why Biden and the democrats want to ban all fully semi-automatic pistols.

Sep 11 22 07:10 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

D-SCAPES wrote:
This is exactly why Biden and the democrats want to ban all fully semi-automatic pistols.

"fully semi"?

Sep 12 22 05:12 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

The model was obviously annoyed by your cancelling the shoot but you were fully entitled to do that under the circumstances. The model's portfolio should have included the information that she had tattoos.

When you choose a model for a photoshoot, her personality and interests can be important considerations. If you wanted a model to pose with guns, or replica guns then you would try to find one who would be more comfortable with a firearm than a pair of knitting needles. This is probably easier in the US than in the UK.

Sep 12 22 05:27 am Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

D-SCAPES wrote:

Not only that…Bidens  department of education is mandatating that in the 2023 all primary schools will be required to teach all math with ARABIC numbers!!!

Sep 12 22 08:09 pm Link

Photographer

Studio NSFW

Pacifica, California, US

D-SCAPES wrote:

Why do you suppose Donny needed to steal Israel’s nuclear capabilities and share that info with Saudis?

Sep 12 22 08:09 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Studio NSFW wrote:

Not only that…Bidens  department of education is mandatating that in the 2023 all primary schools will be required to teach all math with ARABIC numbers!!!

I honestly can't tell if this is satire or not.

Sep 13 22 06:38 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Studio NSFW wrote:

Dea and the Beast wrote:
I honestly can't tell if this is satire or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals
"Arabic numerals are the ten numerical digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9."

Sep 13 22 07:40 am Link

Photographer

JSouthworth

Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom

Mark Salo wrote:

"fully semi"?

That's a condradiction in terms I think. There are semi-automatic pistols and a few fully automatic "machine pistols" like the Czech Vz61 Skorpion.

Sep 14 22 01:43 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

D-SCAPES wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:
"fully semi"?

JSouthworth wrote:
That's a condradiction in terms I think.

Do you think?

Sep 14 22 05:57 am Link

Photographer

D-SCAPES

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

"Fully semi-automatic" is a term a woke leftist US Army general used in an anti-firearms-civil-rights hit piece. My satirical use of the term was in reference to that. For those that caught the contradictory term, well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xVQXCL2JGA

Sep 15 22 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

D-SCAPES wrote:
"Fully semi-automatic" is a term a woke leftist US Army general used in an anti-firearms-civil-rights hit piece.

SMH I expect this from reporters and talking heads, not army generals!

How about a fully woke leftist US Army general?

Sep 15 22 08:36 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Mark Salo wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arabic_numerals
"Arabic numerals are the ten numerical digits: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9."

Yes, hence my confusion..

Sep 16 22 11:17 am Link