Forums > General Industry > Do no show models think we forget?

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

So, I posted a casting call the other day at https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=96726 and other places.  I've been gettng some responses and have actually booked the shoot full.  The models that contacted about the casting were serious about doing it, and booking was hassle free.  So that's good.

I've been running these sites for some time now, nearly 7 years for one one them.  I've learned a lot in the past few years and have gotten my no show rate way down.  But, needless to say, some models still flake.  I always set up more than one girl in a day, so when doesn't show, it's not a complete loss.

Something funny has happened to me a couple of times recently.  I've been getting models answer my castings after having pulled a no show in the past.  Do they think I forgot?

Setting up one of these bike shoots is an ordeal.  After we get past the usual stuff of studio/location and model, I have the bike owners/builders to deal with.  Some of these bikes are easily in the 6 figure range and sometimes come from a couple of thousand miles away.  When a model pulls a no show on me, I don't forget.

So, what do you think she will say when I tell her that in order for me to schedule a shoot with her, she will have to pay me $XXX over the phone by credit card before I schedule the shoot and I will pay it back to her with her compensation check?

Stay tuned. This should be interesting.

Mike

Dec 12 06 12:03 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

Here's the email I just sent her:

Thank you for contacting me regarding this casting.  You have the look I desire for this casting.  I would like to book you for it.

You had actually responding to one of my castings in the past and we booked a shoot.  On the day of the shoot, you didn't show.  You also never returned my calls or emails regarding your absence.

Your previous history with me indicates that you are not reliable.  If you desire to book a date for this project, I will happily do so, but need some insurance.  I require a $250 retainer that will be paid back to you on completion of the shoot to be paid to me prior to booking.  Should you not show without adequate notice or reason, I will not refund your retainer.  I will require a signed contract agreeing to these terms and the payment in cash, cashiers check, or money order.  You can send it to the address in my signature.  Once I receive it, I will gladly email the contract to you and book the shoot.

Mike

I'll let you know her response.

Dec 12 06 12:16 pm Link

Photographer

aesthetix photo

Macon, Georgia, US

Michael Newbern wrote:

I think we can guess what it will be hehe...

Dec 12 06 12:19 pm Link

Photographer

lightsandshadow

New York, New York, US

I don't know if she will even respond.  I'd sure like to see it if she does.

Dec 12 06 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

Analog Nomad

Pattaya, Central, Thailand

It's not that they think you forget -- they might or might not -- it's that they just don't care.

Michael Newbern wrote:
So, I posted a casting call the other day at https://modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=96726 and other places.  I've been gettng some responses and have actually booked the shoot full.  The models that contacted about the casting were serious about doing it, and booking was hassle free.  So that's good.

I've been running these sites for some time now, nearly 7 years for one one them.  I've learned a lot in the past few years and have gotten my no show rate way down.  But, needless to say, some models still flake.  I always set up more than one girl in a day, so when doesn't show, it's not a complete loss.

Something funny has happened to me a couple of times recently.  I've been getting models answer my castings after having pulled a no show in the past.  Do they think I forgot?

Setting up one of these bike shoots is an ordeal.  After we get past the usual stuff of studio/location and model, I have the bike owners/builders to deal with.  Some of these bikes are easily in the 6 figure range and sometimes come from a couple of thousand miles away.  When a model pulls a no show on me, I don't forget.

So, what do you think she will say when I tell her that in order for me to schedule a shoot with her, she will have to pay me $XXX over the phone by credit card before I schedule the shoot and I will pay it back to her with her compensation check?

Stay tuned. This should be interesting.

Mike

Dec 12 06 12:22 pm Link

Model

e-string

Kansas City, Missouri, US

SHE probably forgot

Dec 12 06 12:26 pm Link

Photographer

Ron Casas Photography

Chapin, South Carolina, US

Right like she is going to put up $$$ up front....

No show = Want to get paid to shoot, but broke a nail the night before and could not call or e-mail you because of the broken nail and the traumatic stress of said broken nail.

Dec 12 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Lifestyle Photography

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

It's a good insurance for you if your stake is high.

Dec 12 06 12:27 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Michael Newbern wrote:
Do no show models think we forget?

I have recently been posting casting calls for a few ad campaigns I am shooting soon. I have had some people respond that I have stood me up or done the mysterious set everything up, but just stop talking when it comes time to schedule.
I not only don't forget, I have my list here at my house(my eyes only) of people that have no showed, repeatedly cancelled and people I just didn't enjoy working with. Now as I am offering pay or other forms of compensation beyond TFP/CD I use this list. Name is everything in this industry.

Dec 12 06 12:30 pm Link

Photographer

StMarc

Chicago, Illinois, US

No, I don't think they think you forget.

I think they forget.

This happens to me from time to time. I always reply, "Thank you for your response, but I have booked you in the past and it didn't work out. I am not able to offer you any bookings."

M

Dec 12 06 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

I try to be as fair as I can.  It's not like I wanna be ugly about this whole thing or am holding a grudge.  It's business and I can't afford to have these builders bad mouthing me.  You guys think this industry is tight!

Yeah, I'll doubt she'll reply as well.

I will be implementing a 'commit to shoot' contract.  Basically, it puts the model in a situation where when they don't show with no call or reason, they owe me money.  I bill them for it and when they don't pay in 90 days, I turn it over to collectiions.  After a few of those, the models either quit modeling or quit no showing.

Dec 12 06 12:54 pm Link

Photographer

Gibson Photo Art

Phoenix, Arizona, US

I love it. This type of stuff always comes back around. I had a model contact me to update her port that had flaked on me twice. Turned her down flat. Felt good!

Dec 12 06 01:01 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Michael Newbern wrote:

Don't assume you'll be getting one.

Dec 12 06 01:02 pm Link

Photographer

Photography by Ed Selby

BALL GROUND, Georgia, US

Hola, Michael!

Michael Newbern wrote:
I will be implementing a 'commit to shoot' contract.  Basically, it puts the model in a situation where when they don't show with no call or reason, they owe me money.  I bill them for it and when they don't pay in 90 days, I turn it over to collectiions.  After a few of those, the models either quit modeling or quit no showing.

Funny you say this. I had a girl scheduled - a nice record of emails (she never called) of content, time, date, compensation, etc. Day of shoot - no show no call. I emailed her "hoping she was okay" since she didn't show.

No answer....

So I sent another email the next day billing her for 4 hours of my time and the MUA who drove out that the model said she'd pay billed her as well (we conspired). Believe it or not, within 15 minutes of her receipt of my bill for $1000 ($250/hour - hey, I can dream) she actually called me! She said she had had car trouble and didn't have my number, didn't have access to her computer, blah blah blah blah, and she was apalled that I could be so heartless and bill her.

She called the MUA (the first time she bothered calling her as well) telling her she never agreed to hire a MUA - she does her own make up, blah blah blah blah....

Bill 'em - don't cost nothin...

Dec 12 06 02:43 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Not only do I not forget, but I make sure I let other photographers know as well.

I dont mind a model canceling, even if its at the very last minute, things happen, life happens, what I dont like is no call no show.

Dec 12 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

Cardillo Photography

Palm Coast, Florida, US

I hold meetings before hand to get to know the models a bit.  If they do not show for the meeting, it is likely that they wouldnt have shown for the shoot.

I keep a list of the no-shows.  I generally do not show to others, but I have warned a few photographers that they might not show. 

I like the billing for a no show idea.  Might give that a try.

Dec 12 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

Forget what? Wait, what were we talking about?

Dec 12 06 02:56 pm Link

Model

StacyJack

New Orleans, Louisiana, US

Ron Casas wrote:
Right like she is going to put up $$$ up front....

No show = Want to get paid to shoot, but broke a nail the night before and could not call or e-mail you because of the broken nail and the traumatic stress of said broken nail.

hey, I broke a nail that bad once, it's not pretty, and you shouldn't mock people who have gone through such a traumatic expirience.

Dec 12 06 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Leo Howard

Phoenix, Arizona, US

...Stacy wrote:

hey, I broke a nail that bad once, it's not pretty, and you shouldn't mock people who have gone through such a traumatic expirience.

Yeah, but did you call the photographer and let him know?

Nice look by the way!

Dec 12 06 03:12 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

Ed Selby wrote:
Bill 'em - don't cost nothin...

Hola right back. 

You're right, it don't cost nothing and you can actually sell the delinquent account to collections after 180 days for about 1% of what the bill was.  Some agencies will give you 10%.  Just gotta shop around.

Mike

Dec 12 06 03:17 pm Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

So did she ever respond?

Dec 12 06 09:10 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

John Jebbia wrote:
So did she ever respond?

Not yet.  She's been pretty good so far about responding the next day.  Either she hasn't see it yet, or won't respond at all.

Mike

Dec 13 06 10:04 am Link

Photographer

ward

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I never forget. I will also never shoot with them if they approach me again.

Dec 13 06 10:06 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

Take your pick:
stupid
forgot
has focused on dancing on a 24"x24" table at Kings Bay
no gas money on day of shoot
b/f said "You ain't showin that to anybody but me, girl"
got lost on the way and had used all her cell phone minutes so couldn't call
still drunk from night before

Most of us have experienced all of the above.
Use an agency, if at all possible.

Dec 13 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

Gems of Nature in N Atl

North Atlanta, Georgia, US

By the way, nice work Mike!

Dec 13 06 10:17 am Link

Photographer

Richmond Body Art

Richmond, Virginia, US

Leo Howard wrote:
Not only do I not forget, but I make sure I let other photographers know as well.

I dont mind a model canceling, even if its at the very last minute, things happen, life happens, what I dont like is no call no show.

Same here I will post the no shows on my port but only if there was no call from them whatsoever I try to be fair. But the Models should show a little more respect for the time and money it takes to do this.

Dec 13 06 10:27 am Link

Photographer

Prose Photography

Glendale, Arizona, US

Leo Howard wrote:

Amen.  And you can be sure I let fellow photographers know.  In one case the model had booked a different shoot and my friend called the model and cancelled the shoot stating "you did a no show on my friend" as the reason.  She claimed she didn't even remember booking the shoot.

Dec 13 06 12:24 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Actually I like this ideal.  If a model or a photographer has out of pocket expenses
then the no show, no call model or the photographer who canceled, etc.  gets
hit with charges.  They may not be easy to get but I believe once they go into
collections and there is still no payment you can deduct the amount as a loss on
your taxes.  (check with the I.R.S. first.)   When people understand there will be
consequences for their actions that may cost them money I think they will be
more responsible.  However if I'm correct a photographer or model could still recover their expenses through reduced taxes.

Dec 13 06 12:49 pm Link

Photographer

TDL

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

no show = no shoot, ever.  same goes for mua's, etc.

Dec 13 06 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

e-string wrote:
SHE probably forgot

I agree with e-string. Seems like models also double book lots of time, or don't remember it takes 30 minutes or more to get from studio A to studio B, so after shooting at Studio A, are tired and bail on Studio B.  Just be thankful you didn't also have an MUA and/or Stylist also booked at the same time.

Best of luck. We've tried to get our flake list down to as close to zero as possible, but now and again one will waste our time. And, I do as you do, charge them a deposit for future shoots.  That removes a lot of 'em from the gene pool (the non-serious ones).

Cheers, Tim

Dec 13 06 12:55 pm Link

Photographer

Knechtschaft Studio

Reynoldsburg, Ohio, US

A "No Call, No Show" at the company I work for...well, that is one step away from being fired. You get a final written warning. Screw up again...you get shown the door.

Leo Howard wrote:

Dec 13 06 01:04 pm Link

Model

Aisha Perezz

Brooklyn, New York, US

Regardless of experience or if you are a part time model..etc...This is a business.  In an other business her behavior would have only taken away from her creditability.  It's human nature! So I think that it's reasonable what you are doing, besides, it's a retainer and if she keeps her end of the bargain then she'll get her money back.  It's great that you feel that your time is valuable and important that you express it in a professional way by still offering your time to her.

Dec 13 06 01:44 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

More than a week has passed and no response.

Michael Newbern wrote:
Here's the email I just sent her:

Dec 20 06 10:15 am Link