Forums > Model Colloquy > I don't do paid shoots !

Photographer

Haaren, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands

Dear sweet ladies / models.
I regularly receive requests from female models who ONLY do paid shoots and I wonder why you don't first read the text below on my profile.

IMPORTANT:
I ONLY PHOTOGRAPH FEMALE MODELS FROM 18 YEARS OR OLDER.
I AM NOT PROFESSIONALLY INVOLVED WITH PHOTOGRAPY AND I HAVE NO CLIENTS!
FOR THAT REASON I ONLY DO TFP SHOOTS.
I ALSO EDIT / RETOUCH MY OWN WORK!

Nov 25 19 11:20 pm Link

Photographer

PHP-Photography

Vaasa, Ostrobothnia, Finland

What makes you think models read forum posts ?

Nov 25 19 11:57 pm Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

PHP-Photography wrote:
What makes you think models read forum posts ?

Or profiles? lol

Hell, OP, I've had a few models not read all the negotiated details for a shoot they agreed to do. Every email or PM in the negotiation mentioned "trade shoot" and at the end of the shoot the model said, "So, what does this shoot pay?"

Inappropriate initial queries are easy enough to deal with. Into the bit-bucket they go.

If you want to have a chuckle, reply with YOUR rates.

Nov 26 19 01:00 am Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

It's an advertisement. They look at you as a prospect.  They don't care about your writings, or, likely, your photographs. They're trying to book work in the most efficient way possible and that doesn't include spending time reading profile notices.
You could write things about chopping people's heads off or covering them with venomous snakes and you'd still get the messages.

Nov 26 19 04:41 am Link

Photographer

LnN Studio

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

As others have said , what makes you think they read it?
They are traveling to your area and you may want to work with them but it cost noting to send the email or to read it

Nov 26 19 07:13 am Link

Model

Model MoRina

MacMurdo - permanent station of the US, Sector claimed by New Zealand, Antarctica

mrpgraphic wrote:
I regularly receive requests from female models who ONLY do paid shoots and I wonder why you don't first read the text below on my profile.

IMPORTANT:

If you are interested in feedback...

When you type that last section in all capital letters and start it with an age reference, people's eyes will ignore the rest of that section, thinking it all relates to the age statement. You could take away the all caps, and separate each of those statements with a blank line so they all appear as separate important statements.

Don't use jargon that everyone (especially those for whom English is not the first language) may not understand.  Your statement says you only do TFP shoots. The person viewing your profile may not know the acronym TFP refers to unpaid trade shoots. Also understand that many photographers who do TFP shoots will compensate a model for travel, so some models may ask for that unless you specify exactly what arrangement you ARE willing to do.

Use a statement like "I do not pay models for modeling time or travel. I shoot trade and typically furnish {X} number of images {per look/ per/shoot} as compensation. I do not respond to unsolicited requests for paid shoots."

Nov 26 19 08:17 am Link

Photographer

Orca Bay Images

Arcata, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Several times I've had unknown models solicit me for a shoot, describing what they want to shoot to build their portfolio and then bluntly citing me a price. When in a mood for some low-key fireworks, I'll reply, "Oh, that's really generous, but I'll gladly shoot you for half that."

Nov 26 19 10:37 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Saint Petersburg, Florida, US

mrpgraphic wrote:

IMPORTANT:

It's called networking and marketing. It's not a personal vendetta to annoy you.
Just delete and move on with your life?

Nov 26 19 11:19 am Link

Photographer

KeithD3

Saint Joseph, Missouri, US

It doesn’t cost anything to ignore them.  If you find it a real nuisance I suppose you can reply to them, point out your policy and ask them not to contact you again.
Fortunate you weren’t around here in the “heyday” of this place.  I used to get contacted by several traveling models every week.  Sometimes multiples in a day.  Now days I get contacted maybe once a week.

Nov 26 19 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

Jerry Nemeth

Dearborn, Michigan, US

I have no problem paying a model if she is attractive and has experience modeling.

Nov 26 19 09:50 pm Link

Photographer

Wild Side Studios

Cleveland, Ohio, US

Jerry Nemeth wrote:
I have no problem paying a model if she is attractive and has experience modeling.

LOL!!! Those ugly models have to work for food.

Nov 26 19 10:51 pm Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Wild Side Studios wrote:

Excuse me?

Nov 27 19 03:56 am Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

Dea and the Beast wrote:

Excuse me?

Its pretty clear he was making a joke but you could have followed your own advice.  ...'just move on with your life.'   If a remark isn't directed at you and you don't work for food or are ugly then it has zero to do with you.

Nov 27 19 06:58 am Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

Maryborough, Queensland, Australia

mrpgraphic wrote:

I wonder how regularly models who state compensation as Paid Assignments Only receive TFP requests from photographers who don't pay models?

Nov 27 19 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

A couple of points:

1. Many photographers who offer TFP only, aren't offering anything of value. The "Paid Only" models are TFPing with the ones who do. What are you offering that they can't already either get for free or even get paid for?

2. Not having clients is no excuse NOT to be paying your models. With sites available like Patreon, Bentbox, and many others like them, you should be putting your work up on one of those and using the money you earn to hire your next model.

(I pay most of the models I work with, so I do practice what I preach)

Nov 27 19 09:23 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Jeffrey M Fletcher wrote:
It's an advertisement. They look at you as a prospect.  They don't care about your writings, or, likely, your photographs. They're trying to book work in the most efficient way possible and that doesn't include spending time reading profile notices.
You could write things about chopping people's heads off or covering them with venomous snakes and you'd still get the messages.

Ha! Remember way back when someone posted that casting call about actual bodily dismemberment, blah, blah, blah.. and 30 pages of models "Interested"

Nov 27 19 09:26 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
Ha! Remember way back when someone posted that casting call about actual bodily dismemberment, blah, blah, blah.. and 30 pages of models "Interested"

https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/52585/1

Nov 27 19 10:56 am Link

Photographer

goofus

Santa Barbara, California, US

TLDR

Nov 27 19 12:51 pm Link

Photographer

Jeffrey M Fletcher

Asheville, North Carolina, US

John Jebbia  wrote:

The good ol' days... This place isn't nearly as much fun as it used to be.

Nov 27 19 01:46 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

John Jebbia  wrote:

That one was a classic !
MM at its best

Nov 27 19 02:16 pm Link

Photographer

Jorge Kreimer

San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas, Mexico

mrpgraphic wrote:

IMPORTANT:

They are only looking for work. No reason to get upset.
You can reply politely that you only shoot TFP, or ignore the message and delete it.

Nov 27 19 02:23 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

Wild Side Studios wrote:

#UglyModelsMatter ... don't discriminate

Nov 27 19 02:58 pm Link

Photographer

Tony Lawrence

Chicago, Illinois, US

John Jebbia  wrote:
A couple of points:

1. Many photographers who offer TFP only, aren't offering anything of value. The "Paid Only" models are TFPing with the ones who do. What are you offering that they can't already either get for free or even get paid for?

2. Not having clients is no excuse NOT to be paying your models. With sites available like Patreon, Bentbox, and many others like them, you should be putting your work up on one of those and using the money you earn to hire your next model.

(I pay most of the models I work with, so I do practice what I preach)

Is there an actual market for models sticking their fingers up their noses.   Its great that you pay most of your models but many here aren't capable or wiling to do so.   Its never actually been a huge problem for me as I typically can find willing attractive models to shoot.   As for having clients and paying.   I've assisted several working pros who shoot fashion, commercial and advertising and not one has ever paid a model out of his own pocket and this while offering unpaid tests..   While models do receive great images for trade from them.   its not that hard to find willing good models for TF no matter your skill level and this includes shooting nudes.

That you pay is good for you.   Its wonderful you are able to monetize  your work, where you fail is when you tell ANYONE else what they should or shouldn't do.

Nov 28 19 10:20 am Link

Photographer

gary yong

Beijing, Beijing, China

i usually pay my models for their time cause i respect  and love them

Nov 28 19 03:33 pm Link

Model

Laura UnBound

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

It's funny - I can't remember how many times I've seen photographers comment/complain that there's absolutely no way a model who lists herself as being available for "paid assignments only" ACTUALLY only does paid work, surely she MUST shoot trade at SOME point (and then they go on a tantrum about how it's not fair that the person she's shooting this secret trade content with is not them)

But when photographers want to announce that they would NEVER under any circumstance pay for a model we're just supposed to take that at face value.

The fact is that almost nobody has any hard and fast rules about how they'll work. If the right opportunity presents itself, they'll make an exception.

That's how advertising/marketing works. It's all annoying spam until it's something you're willing to make the exception for.

Nov 30 19 02:24 pm Link

Photographer

Art Silva

The adage pretty much applies here:
You Get What You Paid For.

Not Only does that mean you get the quality of a free talent but that also means you have to self evaluate your skill set if you want to attract models with equal (to your opinion) or higher skill sets.

In all the years I have worked with wonderful pro models I NEVER expect anything free (Trade or TFP) unless they are relatively new and ambitious to improve with what "I" have to offer -or- are just friends who never posed but who I feel has real potential that I can offer great images to, heck many have ended up becoming wonderful payed models.

It's a matter of coming to terms of our own levels. Never as a person behind a camera should feel entitled to get everything for free just because we press a shutter button and use photoshop. There is a lot more to the equation and comparing portfolios is a good reference point to start when confronted with these offers.
Don't let ego get the better of you because you have expensive camera gear and think you are gods gift to model photography. I have seen MANY missed great opportunities photographers has made because they think their photography is better than the great portfolio a pro/traveling model has and feels he shouldn't pay her/his rate. I see models here on MM improve exponentially faster than these so called (I don't do TFP) photographers... just sayin'.

To me being a photographer, especially for pure passion of the art, is ALWAY a learning and improving medium and I always expect that we need to pay for that process and privilege in some way or another. There is Value in improving... Respect and Pay your Models!
There is only One photo in my port that was a TFP situation, only because it was a local friend/understudy I had since she began and every shoot we did was an improvement of the next for both of us, a muse kind of relationship we agreed on.
Everything else is payed proud to say because I chose to book the finest I know that can improve MY photography. I have always looked to acquire the best of anything to help me learn and improve my own efforts, and that is NEVER free.

So yes TFP happens but it's rare that it's a true TFP situation in the "experienced" ranks but one should never expect it. Unless you are content in doing the same-ole same-ole mediocre TFP shoots, That only leads to a LOT of down time and losing camera time, and we all know what That leads to... an out dated portfolio and rusty skills. [raises hand] tongue

Nov 30 19 06:32 pm Link

Photographer

gary yong

Beijing, Beijing, China

cannot agree with you more.

Nov 30 19 10:06 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Laura UnBound wrote:
[snip]
But when photographers want to announce that they would NEVER under any circumstance pay for a model we're just supposed to take that at face value.

The fact is that almost nobody has any hard and fast rules about how they'll work. If the right opportunity presents itself, they'll make an exception.

This is true, never say never.

Dec 01 19 04:18 am Link

Model

Dea and the Beast

Tony Lawrence wrote:
Its pretty clear he was making a joke but you could have followed your own advice.  ...'just move on with your life.'   If a remark isn't directed at you and you don't work for food or are ugly then it has zero to do with you.

Said no feminist ever.

Dec 01 19 04:10 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

I don't do paid shoots, so I don't contact models whose profiles say Paid Assignments Only.

Dec 02 19 01:14 am Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

During the ten years plus as a member of MM, only three or four TFP hopeful models needing some help for a comp card  to
start a catalogue type  modeling career contacted me....I have no idea if I was helpful. All the other models I collaborated with were paid and deserved to be paid.

Dec 02 19 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Camera Buff

IMAGINERIES wrote:
During the ten years plus as a member of MM, only three or four TFP hopeful models needing some help for a comp card  to
start a catalogue type  modeling career contacted me....I have no idea if I was helpful. All the other models I collaborated with were paid and deserved to be paid.

That was in the past, but your 'about me' currently states you are presently unable to pay your models and TFP is the only option you can offer.

I think that coming from someone with your experience and talent that's still a very kind and generous offer.

I certainly respect peoples choices regarding compensation. However, it's also pleasing to find models who'll agree to collaborate simply because they enjoy doing something creative and exciting with their free time.

Not all photographers and models seek monetary compensation all of the time. I don't, and that's a big part of why I'm happy to call myself an amateur.

Dec 02 19 07:28 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I read all this, and all thease posts on the maybe important topic, no matter how relevant is it or not, surprisingly resonated in my mind as an interesting piece of dramaturgy -- I clearly saw the dark scene with brightly lit center where one by one, different actors-posters step in and pronounce sometimes flat and commonplace, and sometimes deep and vitty monologues.
It was impressive, I gonna tell you that, bros! smile

$$

Dec 09 19 01:34 pm Link

Photographer

TouchofEleganceStudios

Vallejo, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Or profiles? lol

Hell, OP, I've had a few models not read all the negotiated details for a shoot they agreed to do. Every email or PM in the negotiation mentioned "trade shoot" and at the end of the shoot the model said, "So, what does this shoot pay?"

Inappropriate initial queries are easy enough to deal with. Into the bit-bucket they go.

"and at the end of the shoot the model said, "So, what does this shoot pay?" "

Exactly what my response is. I give her my rates doubled. I also tell her that I expect her to pay for the studio rental, make up artist and whatever else. Prior to the shoot.

Dec 09 19 05:52 pm Link

Photographer

GianCarlo Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

I pay models because I appreciate them and I need them, and I don't think people should work for free.
Without them I would have photographs of my nicely lit seamless.

But one time, and I still laugh when I think of this, a model contacted me wanting to shoot. Her profile page was checked paid assignments only. She said in her message, I want you to take sexy pictures of me at the beach in my bathing suit. She said she normally charges $125. per hour but was willing to discount to $75. per hour for me. ???

I messaged her back and asked, let me see if I understand you correctly. You want me to photograph you at the beach and you will only charge me $75. per hour? She responded back with a seemingly enthusiastic yes! I really believe she had no idea her request was ridiculous, and I'm sure she was very nice, but I told her simply that her request was crazy and, thank you but no thank you.

Dec 10 19 08:22 pm Link

Photographer

IMAGINERIES

New York, New York, US

Camera Buff wrote:

That was in the past, but your 'about me' currently states you are presently unable to pay your models and TFP is the only option you can offer.

I think that coming from someone with your experience and talent that's still a very kind and generous offer.

I certainly respect peoples choices regarding compensation. However, it's also pleasing to find models who'll agree to collaborate simply because they enjoy doing something creative and exciting with their free time.

Not all photographers and models seek monetary compensation all of the time. I don't, and that's a big part of why I'm happy to call myself an amateur.

Since I change my profile to TFP...Total silence except for a couple of models who didn't bother to read my profile....
But that ok, except I did a cosplay shoot, and a model I worked  with years ago and wanted pictures with her two kids!!

Dec 11 19 02:50 pm Link

Photographer

Yani S

Los Angeles, California, US

Orca Bay Images wrote:

Or profiles? lol

I do the same. Or I say. Im waving my fee as this is a create art website for free minded and free spirts to come together  create art. Which is basically the truth. As I do charge for my work.

Dec 31 19 08:06 am Link

Photographer

Springfield Fotografiya

Springfield, Missouri, US

MoRina wrote:
Don't use jargon that everyone (especially those for whom English is not the first language) may not understand.  Your statement says you only do TFP shoots. The person viewing your profile may not know the acronym TFP refers to unpaid trade shoots. Also understand that many photographers who do TFP shoots will compensate a model for travel, so some models may ask for that unless you specify exactly what arrangement you ARE willing to do.

This is good advice.  On the other hand, using industry acronyms can add a bit of humor to situations when amateur models who are more familiar with the use of the acronym for another purpose ask questions.  My favorite so far was when a psychology major asked why TFP (Transference-Focused Psychotherapy) was part of a photo shoot, but indicated that she might still be interested.  A business major insisted that she didn't waste time on photo shoots in reference to TFP (Total Factor Productivity).  A medical assistant explained that she preferred to keep her medical work and her modeling separate in reference to TFP (Therapeutic Feeding Program).

Jan 01 20 01:11 pm Link

Photographer

Greg Knoll Photography

Denver, Colorado, US

I'm kind of shocked this wasn't about Retoucher solicitation. I get twice as many of those as I do from models.

In our defense, though, we Retouchers don't read either.

Jan 02 20 02:34 am Link

Photographer

Eric212Grapher

Saint Louis, Missouri, US

Greg Knoll Photography wrote:
I'm kind of shocked this wasn't about Retoucher solicitation. I get twice as many of those as I do from models.

In our defense, though, we Retouchers don't read either.

idk about you, but the number of retouchers contacting me has dropped to a small number since MM introduced the need to be friends prior to sending a message (unless one has VIP, Premium status). Apparently, few retouchers pay for such memberships.

My Friend Request listing is busting with retouchers. I leave them in purgatory. They cannot send me a message, and they cannot send new Friend Requests.

Jan 02 20 05:30 pm Link