Forums > General Industry > Planning a fashion show

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

I took the advice from people on here and other forums, and started looking to display my work in new and interesting venues. I have secured a large nightclub in Cleveland, that is giving me a one night extravaganza, that might be something regular, if I prove I can draw crowds.
This is going to be an art show and a large fashion show, I am hoping for 3-4 different designers. If anyone on here has clothes they design, jewelry the make let me know. I am also looking for make-up and hair people. Heck I could even use a photographer or 3 to photograph this for me
My big question here is, has anyone ever organized a huge event like this? Any words of advice or help you could throw my way?

Dec 11 06 07:12 pm Link

Model

Kita St Cyr

New York, New York, US

Good luck.  Between finding a venue, choosing a DJ, establishing a catwalk if it doesn't exist in the venue, deciding on music, casting models, casting back up models,  keeping abreast of 4 designers and their lines, making sure they all have enough shoes for each model, distributing tickets to the show, keeping track of the money earned if there is to be a profit....  sounds fun.

Dec 11 06 07:19 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Lazyi Photography wrote:
I took the advice from people on here and other forums, and started looking to display my work in new and interesting venues. I have secured a large nightclub in Cleveland, that is giving me a one night extravaganza, that might be something regular, if I prove I can draw crowds.
This is going to be an art show and a large fashion show, I am hoping for 3-4 different designers. If anyone on here has clothes they design, jewelry the make let me know. I am also looking for make-up and hair people. Heck I could even use a photographer or 3 to photograph this for me
My big question here is, has anyone ever organized a huge event like this? Any words of advice or help you could throw my way?

Finding the designers , models , muas /hairstylists is the easy part

Finding the Sponsors , and selling the tickets is the hard part

Promote , Promote, Promote , and start at least 6 weeks before the show.

Dec 11 06 08:12 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

KitaPanda wrote:
Good luck.  Between finding a venue, choosing a DJ, establishing a catwalk if it doesn't exist in the venue, deciding on music, casting models, casting back up models,  keeping abreast of 4 designers and their lines, making sure they all have enough shoes for each model, distributing tickets to the show, keeping track of the money earned if there is to be a profit....  sounds fun.

oh , and have at least 1 person ( plus many  volunteers ) helping you to manage the following areas-backstage ,staging /lighting , the front door , and seating ( esp if you have a designated )

Dec 11 06 08:17 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

Garry k wrote:

Garry k wrote:
oh , and have at least 1 person ( plus many  volunteers ) helping you to manage the following areas-backstage ,staging /lighting , the front door , and seating ( esp if you have a designated )

I am starting this work, with the show in the beginging of March.
I have already secured free ad space from 2 local magazines, plus coverage of the event.
I am putting together a street team of fans and people that have worked with me, to put up flyers, postcards and other small pieces of advertising too.

I am hoping to secure a few other people to help me, plus luckily the night club is offering me all of their staff to help with the door and 1 for backstage entry.

I am still nervous about all this.

Dec 11 06 09:19 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

KitaPanda wrote:

Got the venue, guest gjs I have from my contacts when I worked the bar scene myself. They have a catwalk they use for other shows. Music, I am clueless on, I will have to sit down with all djs and designers and see what works.

Luckily, the designers I am using have some difference in their styles, but all are marketing to the same group.

Finding models I should have not much of a problem, but back-up models will be fun.

Luckily the bar/venue is using their own staff to help run the door and tickets.

Dec 11 06 09:22 pm Link

Model

Toni Essence

Ashburn, Virginia, US

I have my own shoe line...but Im in the DC area...

Dec 11 06 09:28 pm Link

Makeup Artist

Beautifulfaces by K

Waldorf, Maryland, US

Best of luck with your project...

Dec 11 06 09:33 pm Link

Model

UNDERTOW

Columbus, Ohio, US

if you want I will help promote in columbus smile  Flyers and Emails if you want

Dec 11 06 10:06 pm Link

Model

UNDERTOW

Columbus, Ohio, US

Lazyi Photography wrote:

Garry k wrote:

I have already secured free ad space from 2 local magazines, plus coverage of the event.
I am putting together a street team of fans and people that have worked with me, to put up flyers, postcards and other small pieces of advertising too.

I am hoping to secure a few other people to help me, plus luckily the night club is offering me all of their staff to help with the door and 1 for backstage entry.

you may be nervous but once you hit the first party off with a bang the rest is all fun

Dec 11 06 10:08 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Lazyi Photography wrote:

Garry k wrote:

Do an early promo blitz but also one the week before .....

Use as many mediums as possible to get the message bout this  show out .....

THe Internet - use the clubs email list , event listings on such sites as Clubzone  /Clubvibes etc, adn if you have connections to a good publicist - bonus

Radio Stations may promo you in exchange for free ticket they can give away

Printed media - Newpapers , Entertainment Weeklys - get your event listings posted..

Postering /Handbilling - Clothing Stores , Hairsalons etc

Target the Women - and the Men will follow !

Dec 11 06 11:18 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

Lazyi Photography wrote:

Garry k wrote:

Get as much organized ahead of time ( ie staging , lighting , models , muas etc )
While you may take all thsi very seriously - others involved may not so do not rely on "verbal agreements " ...get contracts signed ....IF a few key peopel decide not show up on the day of your show - it can cause you major problems .......

Dec 11 06 11:23 pm Link

Photographer

Garry k

UNDERTOW wrote:

you may be nervous but once you hit the first party off with a bang the rest is all fun

Dont expect to enjoy yourself  too mcuh the day of the show - If you intend to put on anything worth while - it will be a lot of work , a long day possilby a lot of problem solllving   the day of the show  - and whiel everyone  is drinking and partying afterwards you will probably be in the  back cleaning up and making sure that every garment is accounted for afterwards

Dec 11 06 11:27 pm Link

Photographer

PK Brazil

Baltimore, Maryland, US

Lazyi Photography wrote:

The most important thing is to associate yourself with people that are well networked have tons of friends and can draw them to an event.

Dec 11 06 11:27 pm Link