Forums > Photography Talk > Sekonic L-858D for HSS user on here?

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Anyone here using a Sekonic L-858D spotmeter for HSS?  Their L-858D seems to do it, where my older L-478 cannot go over 1/250 sec.

I've been chimping bracketed shots too long trying to get the HSS and sunlight ratios.  Sometimes just changing the shutter speed higher and the entire "What used to work at 1/500 isn't at 1/1000 with HSS flash."

Must be some time duration (t.1 or t.5 ???) curve thing going on as the GN is also changing with a speed change, and by quite a bit.  Slower speed seems to have a higher GN where the 1/8000 is a lot smaller.

Sep 25 19 09:36 am Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

The L-478 will measure flash 30min. to 1/1000 sec, it will not measure HSS.

Can you share the flash setting info and are you trying to measure TTL in hyper sync?

Sep 25 19 09:59 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Actual flash durations vary considerably. 1/8000th is shorter than the duration of the flash you are using, so you need more exposure time to benefit from the output of your light.

Sep 25 19 10:01 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

JBP Graphics wrote:
The L-478 will measure flash 30min. to 1/1000 sec, it will not measure HSS.

Can you share the flash setting info and are you trying to measure TTL in hyper sync?

Thanks.  Had to put a couple of AAA batteries in the L-478 to look for it.

Holding the Up arrow for the flash speeds, it tops out at 1/400.  However, if I hold the Down arrow and scroll down through all the slower speeds (Which can also change and appear/disappear with the ISO setting too!), it suddenly shows 1/1000 sec. as if it is another hidden speed scale.  Weird setup, but maybe made that way as people usually use it around 1/400 or slower for sync. so Sekonic kept that speed at the top of the speed scroll.

I see the L-858 can show a window of the HSS flash area which seems to change with the selected HHS speed of the flash.  The new-to-me Godox AD600 PRO TTL shows the HSS duration speeds on its LCD panel, but doesn't really help me other than to tell me the duration might fit the camera shutter speed, but no output strength so I have to chimp a lot in testing.  Some of the meter's demo'ed faster flash speeds show a steep rise and fall, where the slower ones have a long tail and taper before shutting off.  They must be computing that area under the curve with regards to the camera speed.

Not using TTL yet.  Just manual HSS since the AD600 is about as strong as I have now for doing that.

Sep 25 19 11:08 am Link

Photographer

JBP Graphics

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

GRMACK wrote:
Thanks.  Had to put a couple of AAA batteries in the L-478 to look for it.

Holding the Up arrow for the flash speeds, it tops out at 1/400.  However, if I hold the Down arrow and scroll down through all the slower speeds (Which can also change and appear/disappear with the ISO setting too!), it suddenly shows 1/1000 sec. as if it is another hidden speed scale.  Weird setup, but maybe made that way as people usually use it around 1/400 or slower for sync. so Sekonic kept that speed at the top of the speed scroll.

I see the L-858 can show a window of the HSS flash area which seems to change with the selected HHS speed of the flash.  The new-to-me Godox AD600 PRO TTL shows the HSS duration speeds on its LCD panel, but doesn't really help me other than to tell me the duration might fit the camera shutter speed, but no output strength so I have to chimp a lot in testing.  Some of the meter's demo'ed faster flash speeds show a steep rise and fall, where the slower ones have a long tail and taper before shutting off.  They must be computing that area under the curve with regards to the camera speed.

Not using TTL yet.  Just manual HSS since the AD600 is about as strong as I have now for doing that.

You are scrolling through the optional shutter speed setting in the flash mode. Above 1000 the next speed is 75, 80, 90, 100, 200, and 400. Scroll down from the 1000 range and you will see the normal shutter speeds. The optional speeds correspond to some camera specific sync speeds.

If I understand you correctly, as far as the AD600Pro TTL , the speed you are seeing on the LCD panel is not the sync speed but the flash duration speed as you change the power setting, this is not the same as HSS. So for example at full 1/1 power the flash duration is 1/220 sec. but at 1/256 power it is 1/10,000 at t.0.1. This helps you determine if the flash duration is short enough to stop motion while the flash tube is energized.

HSS is a function of the cameras shutter speed with a compatible flash trigger to go above the normal cameras sync speed, such as 1/3200 sec. There are ways to hack older studio strobe to work in Hyper Sync by using modern triggers, but that's a whole other discussion.

If you are using the Godox trigger once you engage the high speed sync function on the trigger it allows the cameras shutter to go above the normal sync speed. The AD600 Pro then reduces the light output to pulse during the entire path of the shutter opening, several lower output flashes are the result. That is why you notice the output at say 1/4 power in normal mode is not the same as 1/4 in HSS.

Sep 25 19 12:04 pm Link

Photographer

Angel House Portraits

Orlando, Florida, US

The Sekonic L-858D is marketed as the world's first hss hand meter. Its kind of a dream concept a few years back. Its also an expensive tool. There are you tube videos showing how its done. I can't  afford it right now. Hopefully the price will come down some time in the future. I do have a classic Minolta hand light meter I use for studio shoots.

Sep 25 19 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Armando D Photography

Houston, Texas, US

i use that light meter after the firmware it was more reliable, but still misses the hss at times. It's worth it!

Oct 19 19 08:24 pm Link

Photographer

phpcat

Corcoran, California, US

I got one (and with pocketwizard module too) to play with HSS and hypersync to measure fat blobs of light but afraid I haven't used it yet.

Here's a link to a video  I saw that explains some of the HSS capability of the 858 and the OMG video you have to see is here.  Since I got it back in 2017, it's just sat there along with my other gear but one of these days I will actually start using it.

The user manual, in case you are interested, is here.

The product page on the Sekonic site is  here.

Good luck.

Oct 19 19 09:33 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Just saw where Sekonic is releasing a Godox radio trigger for use in their L-858 meter for HSS.

Will be interesting to see how it handles camera speed changes as that wasn't linear for me due to the changing sawtooth light pattern output from the flash units (i.e. Sawtooth pattern changes shape as the camera shutter speed changes in HSS. One stop shutter speed change did not equal one stop light change.).

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Qu2yntbdnZI

Due out in November.

I noticed the video must be recent as I see the assistant is wearing a mask and the photographer is wearing a mask and a face shield both.  A Covid-19 way of shooting.

Sep 16 20 05:40 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

I'm almost pretty sure in a recent vid once the background exposure was set (w/ l-308) they used TTL to determine the flash power setting, then switched to M.

Sep 16 20 05:49 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Fwiw, Adorama is showing the Sekonic L-858 meter for $599.  Underneath it the also shown the L-858 with the Godox module installed for $649 as are three others for different brands.

https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=s … _New-Items

However, if you just need the Godox transmitter module, it's shown as $149 as an accessory option.

The PocketWizard and the Broncolor transmitters are both $149.  But the Elinchrom and Phottix one is only $116.35.

Ordered one and will see how it goes - whenever it shows up.

Sep 16 20 06:44 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

I know that it's not exactly what you're asking for.
But,
if you use some Godox (and Profoto) flashes (with their specific new generation triggers, obviously), you can use TTL in HSS mode just once, and then switch (by pushing one button) to Manual mode to get all data you need. At least, it works for me.
It does not solve the problem with zones in general, but  as a quick & dirty hack in the field, could potentially save a day (or two, plus your three or four hundred bucks by not buying a light meter too).
I have a light meter, but I rarely use it these days

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4352724

Oct 24 20 06:22 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Dan OMell wrote:
I know that it's not exactly what you're asking for.
But,
if you use some Godox (and Profoto) flashes (with their specific new generation triggers, obviously), you can use TTL in HSS mode just once, and then switch (by pushing one button) to Manual mode to get all data you need. At least, it works for me.
It does not solve the problem with zones in general, but  as a quick & dirty hack in the field, could potentially save a day (or two, plus your three or four hundred bucks by not buying a light meter too).
I have a light meter, but I rarely use it these days

Thanks, something to look into.

Was looking for the TCM button per the link, but none of my Godox stuff has it.  Must be on newer triggers.

However, playing around, I found I can do HSS in TTL with the Godox TT685-O flash with a BetterBeamer on it shooting distant birds.  I dialed in maybe +1.7 stops more for flash at the 1/640 second I shot the hummer below at.

https://cdn.mu-43.com/attachments/a190149-770-jpg.853540/

I did do the new firmware update to my Sekonic L-858-D this week (Gads, it takes forever to load into the meter, but all custom settings were saved.).  They also updated their computer "Data Transfer Software" version too.

Still, outdoors in bright sunlight, the thing acts up and will not read in HSS mode right.  I don't have the new Godox radio transmitter installed in it yet (Coming soon, per Adorama.) and I hope that fixes that part.  I like the ability to see my Ambient (Sun) to Fill-Flash (Not HSS mode.) ratios on the meter in the percentages.  Makes it easy to get correct flash fill without a lot of chimping.  Hope that works with the HSS radio part too whenever it shows.

Oct 24 20 07:15 pm Link

Photographer

Dan OMell

Charlotte, North Carolina, US

Dan OMell wrote:

GRMACK wrote:
I don't have the new Godox radio transmitter installed in it yet (Coming soon, per Adorama.) and I hope that fixes that part.  I like the ability to see my Ambient (Sun) to Fill-Flash (Not HSS mode.) ratios on the meter in the percentages.  Makes it easy to get correct flash fill without a lot of chimping.  Hope that works with the HSS radio part too whenever it shows.

Good stuff!

Oct 24 20 07:42 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

The Godox transmitter module is on delivery truck for today. Yay!

Aside-
Was getting car serviced and across the street a photographer and model showed up.  Some abandoned building was their location.  So I watched them while waiting....

He'd take one shot and stare at his DSLR LCD for a few minutes while walking about, maybe adjusting.  She would pull out her cellphone and maybe selfie-check her makeup or play on her phone while he tried to figure out his camera.  When he was ready for second shot, she was still on phone.  This back-and-forth went on for an hour and he maybe got 5-6 shots between him looking and adjusting his camera, and her on the phone.  Was sort of fun to watch them, but I suspect he was having issues with the ambient lighting and chimping a lot.  He had no flash.  Dunno what was with all her cellphone use, other than maybe a mirror - or bored waiting for him to take a shot.

Nov 13 20 09:42 am Link

Photographer

Rick Pappas

Rocklin, California, US

GRMACK wrote:
Anyone here using a Sekonic L-858D spotmeter for HSS?  Their L-858D seems to do it, where my older L-478 cannot go over 1/250 sec.

I've been chimping bracketed shots too long trying to get the HSS and sunlight ratios.  Sometimes just changing the shutter speed higher and the entire "What used to work at 1/500 isn't at 1/1000 with HSS flash."

Must be some time duration (t.1 or t.5 ???) curve thing going on as the GN is also changing with a speed change, and by quite a bit.  Slower speed seems to have a higher GN where the 1/8000 is a lot smaller.

As far as I know, the Sekonic L-858 is the only meter that measures HSS.  It's March of 2024.  And yes...the way HSS works is that the camera sensor receives less light from the flash as the exposure time becomes more brief.  I use the L-858 with the Godox transmitter and it works in HSS just as it does at sync speed and below.  While using HSS, I can adjust the power of my Godox lights from the meter, get ambient/flash percentages, work flash ratios for multiple flashes...the whole bit.  What I like about my meter the most is that it can profile my camera, a Canon 5D3.  That makes the exposures pretty much perfect when used correctly.  The meaning of that for me is that the flesh tones of the portraits that I make are never too hot and their color accuracy saves me a lot of processing time.  When using the meter in sunlight I get important dynamic range information which allows me to place my exposures where I would like them.  This is particularly useful when using the spot meter.   It's a great tool and a useful upgrade from my L-358

Mar 02 24 01:39 pm Link