Forums > General Industry > Important question (HELP!)

Model

Ayse Daenet

Fayetteville, North Carolina, US

I know people may get annoyed if I'm being dumb, but I just have to take that chance. I've signed up on www.supermodelscouts.com and you have to pay to get an agency list. Is this something that I should do? Is it worth it? I ask because I am having a hard time finding an modeling agency where I live. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Please and thank you.

Dec 11 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

Pay to get something you can probably find for free elsewhere?

Smells fishy to me.

Dec 11 06 02:47 pm Link

Model

Ayse Daenet

Josie Nutter wrote:
Pay to get something you can probably find for free elsewhere?

Smells fishy to me.

You can get it for free? That was the part that I didn't know.

Dec 11 06 02:47 pm Link

Photographer

Brian Diaz

Danbury, Connecticut, US

Ayse Cream wrote:
I ask because I am having a hard time finding an modeling agency where I live.

I had a hard time finding commercial fishing boats in Phoenix.  Then I realized that's because there aren't many fish there.

Agencies don't go where there aren't many jobs.

Read this a few times:  www.newmodels.com

Dec 11 06 03:03 pm Link

Photographer

nevar

Fort Smith, Arkansas, US

forgive me.... but when I first saw youre name I thought it said Arse Cream... damn I need glasses.

Dec 11 06 03:09 pm Link

Photographer

retphoto

Sunbury, Pennsylvania, US

What are you going to get for your money???(even if it is a list you could get for free elsewhere)

are they going to provide you with contacts that you can use in North Carolina?

Agencies, regardless of size or market, have one thing in common. If you are outside of their 'hub', they can't use you.

I've found that even if you're exactly what they need for a job, you won't get the call if you're beyond their comfort zone!

Dec 11 06 03:13 pm Link

Model

Amanda Padilla

New York, New York, US

Iv got a few jobs off that site, thats about it.

Dec 11 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Ayse Daenet

retphoto wrote:
What are you going to get for your money???(even if it is a list you could get for free elsewhere)

are they going to provide you with contacts that you can use in North Carolina?

Agencies, regardless of size or market, have one thing in common. If you are outside of their 'hub', they can't use you.

I've found that even if you're exactly what they need for a job, you won't get the call if you're beyond their comfort zone!

They say that they give me the list of agencies that want to contact me based on my comp cards.

Dec 11 06 03:16 pm Link

Model

Ayse Daenet

ravens laughter wrote:
forgive me.... but when I first saw youre name I thought it said Arse Cream... damn I need glasses.

LMAO! Well I can't change the name now, but I would take away the Cream and add my  middle name now.

Dec 11 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Ayse Cream wrote:

LMAO! Well I can't change the name now, but I would take away the Cream and add my  middle name now.

Scam, in my opinion. Google agencies ... they're listed. Also read the site that was recommended: www.newmodels.com  Good luck, Tim

Dec 11 06 03:20 pm Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

AyseC wrote:
I've signed up on www.supermodelscouts.com and you have to pay to get an agency list (...) They say that they give me the list of agencies that want to contact me based on my comp cards

yep, that's info you can find for free: phone book, internet, reading the Boards here, etc. ...

for example: Evolution (Charlotte) and Directions (Greensboro) are reportedly the two biggies there in N.C.; check into them to see if you'd be compatible with their interests ...

no payment required. well, hmm,..., okay, a 'big bowl of Hatteras Clam Chowder & a glass of sweet tea', said the lil camera with ties in Lenoir County ----- smile!

~ F

Dec 11 06 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

James Jackson Fashion

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Ayse Cream wrote:

Also read the "Info" area above... which you haven't done yet.

It contains info on how to do things like change your display name.

Dec 11 06 03:26 pm Link

Photographer

c_d_s

Lubbock, Texas, US

Ayse Cream wrote:
They say that they give me the list of agencies that want to contact me based on my comp cards.

Even worse.

Here's a free list of all the agencies anywhere near you that would be likely to sign a 5'4", 137-pound model:

Dec 11 06 03:28 pm Link

Model

Ayse Daenet

Alright. Thanks folks. Knew I could get a straight answer here.

Dec 11 06 03:35 pm Link

Model

Wenzel

Singapore, Singapore, Singapore

models.com has a free sign up and agency lists built right - Wenzel

Dec 11 06 05:07 pm Link

Photographer

Finearts Photography

Cleveland, Ohio, US

The referance librarian would help you.  At the library. Dah  They take questions like this very seriously.   Eric

Dec 11 06 05:16 pm Link

Photographer

duds here

Chicago, Illinois, US

Commercial photogs pay for lists all the time it saves time, often have names and most of all have address labels to put on promos fast!

But check the list area, size and exactly what you get for the money and often you still can find it on your own, but how much is your time worth?

Make sure it is a real list, I don't know of anyone having lists for modeling agencies, but never know.

But advertising agencies are good for models too!

Dec 14 06 12:55 am Link