Forums > General Industry > What do you do to ensure the models to be there?

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Besides payment smile, what steps do you take to make sure the model will show up? Any liability aggreements?

I have a big shoot (non-pay) coming up involving agency models w/out the agencies. But it will bring some recognition. I just want to minimize the gamble. Thank you for any ideas.

Dec 11 06 02:27 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

Dawnie wrote:
Besides payment smile, what steps do you take to make sure the model will show up? Any liability aggreements?

I have a big shoot (non-pay) coming up involving agency models w/out the agencies. But it will bring some recognition. I just want to minimize the gamble. Thank you for any ideas.

abduct them the night before.

keep them tied up in the trunk of your car so they don't eat and get bloated before the shoot.

Dec 11 06 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

keep them tied up in the trunk of your car so they don't eat and get bloated before the shoot.

Good idea...I usually promise a few baggies of coke, but your way is much cheaper!! tongue

Dec 11 06 02:31 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Ed Remington wrote:

Good idea...I usually promise a few baggies of coke, but your way is much cheaper!! tongue

I'm all about saving money

Dec 11 06 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

I send out at least one, usually two, confirmation emails with all the details I've/we've discussed and ask the model to reply Confirming Recepit of the email and that they'll be there as outlined in the email. I request they notify me of any cancellation at least 24 hours in advance.  It works pretty well, but I still get the odd flake now and again. I just don't use or work with them in the future.  My flake rate has been reduced a great deal.

Cheers, Tim

Dec 11 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

Dawnie wrote:

you're kidding right?

actually.....email AND call them 36 to 18 hours before...if you don't get a response right away, consider the shoot a dud....

Dec 11 06 02:37 pm Link

Photographer

Special Ed

New York, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

I'm all about saving money

LOL!

Ok Seriously Dawnie...Your work is really outstanding, I doubt you'll have trouble getting the girls to shoot with you. Just make sure you've got a quality MUA as well as Stylst on hand.

Dec 11 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Jphoto wrote:
you're kidding right?

Umm...no. Serious question to professionals. Thanks.

Dec 11 06 02:40 pm Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Tim Baker wrote:
I send out at least one, usually two, confirmation emails with all the details I've/we've discussed and ask the model to reply Confirming Recepit of the email and that they'll be there as outlined in the email. I request they notify me of any cancellation at least 24 hours in advance.  It works pretty well, but I still get the odd flake now and again. I just don't use or work with them in the future.  My flake rate has been reduced a great deal.

Cheers, Tim

Thank you for the serious answer.

Dec 11 06 02:40 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Dawnie wrote:

*smack*

Dec 11 06 02:41 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Dawnie wrote:

Thank you for the serious answer.

*double smack*

Dec 11 06 02:42 pm Link

Photographer

j-shooter

San Francisco, California, US

i was editing my answer....but the phone rang....

actually.....email AND call them 36 to 18 hours before...if you don't get a response right away, consider the shoot a dud....

Dec 11 06 02:44 pm Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I would say:

Check references.

That should give you a good idea of what to expect.

Dec 11 06 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

FlirtynFun Photography

Houston, Texas, US

I try to stick to models with good references and also follow what's been suggested about follow up. The ones who are serious about their work take it seriously regardless if they do it for a living or do it for extra spending money. There are thousands of top notch models out there. Life's too short to chase down flakes!

Dec 11 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

SLE Photography

Orlando, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

Oooo, I've been meeting them pre-shoot & LoJacking them with an exploding bracelet.
Your kidnapping idea works well too tho, especially if done a couple of days before so they don't go & suddenly butcher or dye their hair or get huge bruises from rough sex or decide to "tan" and show up badly burned.

Dec 11 06 02:52 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

I check references from at least two former photographers and I  also charge a $250 retainer - the models show up for their shoots

Dec 11 06 02:53 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SLE Photography wrote:

Oooo, I've been meeting them pre-shoot & LoJacking them with an exploding bracelet.
Your kidnapping idea works well too tho, especially if done a couple of days before so they don't go & suddenly butcher or dye their hair or get huge bruises from rough sex or decide to "tan" and show up badly burned.

True true. Never thought of that.

Def go get them several days before.

Dec 11 06 02:54 pm Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

Dawnie wrote:

*tumbleweed rolls by*

Model

Dances with Wolves

C R Photography wrote:

*tumbleweed rolls by*

lol

Photographer

Tim Baker-fotoPerfecta

Portland, Oregon, US

Jphoto wrote:
i was editing my answer....but the phone rang....

This is good advice. Tim

Model

Dances with Wolves

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:
I check references from at least two former photographers and I  also charge a $250 retainer - the models show up for their shoots

I'm surprised you get girls to pay that.

Photographer

All Kinds of Photos

As I have mentioned is several other threads and still beleive it that we are at the mercy of the model. If she doesn't show then...so what? Unless there is a formal contract she is totally in control and the photographer is SOL.

Just make phone calls ahead of time is about all I do and somtimes they still flake.

Dec 11 06 03:00 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:
I'm surprised you get girls to pay that.

well that`s JUST the retainer.....not the full fee
I do get paid for the work I do, don`t be too surprised quite a few photographers make a living doing this smile  LOL!  really it`s all about location and what you can offer someone in this business

Dec 11 06 03:07 pm Link

Photographer

Dawnie Lee Photography

Seattle, Washington, US

Ed Remington wrote:

LOL!

Ok Seriously Dawnie...Your work is really outstanding, I doubt you'll have trouble getting the girls to shoot with you. Just make sure you've got a quality MUA as well as Stylst on hand.

Thank you so. Your work is outstanding as well smile

Dec 11 06 03:22 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

KoolGirlieStuff wrote:

well that`s JUST the retainer.....not the full fee
I do get paid for the work I do, don`t be too surprised quite a few photographers make a living doing this smile  LOL!  really it`s all about location and what you can offer someone in this business

Sorry- I thought we were talking exclusively about TFCD shoots and that's why I said $250 was high.

Dec 11 06 03:22 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Daniela V wrote:

Sorry- I thought we were talking exclusively about TFCD shoots and that's why I said $250 was high.

I thought  that as well since the OP stated it was a non-pay shoot.

Dec 11 06 03:27 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Craig Thomson wrote:

I thought  that as well since the OP stated it was a non-pay shoot.

k. glad it wasn't just me

Dec 11 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Thomson

Tacoma, Washington, US

Dawnie wrote:

Few questions come up to help define the loss potential.

Is this shoot your idea/theme?
Did you place a casting call with detailed info on the theme/shoot?
Did the models contact you or did you contact them for this shoot?

Dec 11 06 03:28 pm Link

Photographer

KoolGirlieStuff

Gainesville, Florida, US

Daniela V wrote:

ohhhhh I didn`t see that - I didn`t have my reading glasses on, I thought this was just a general discussion ~ sorry bout that

Dec 11 06 03:36 pm Link

Model

Kat McGeough

Seattle, Washington, US

Dawnie wrote:

Work with me.  I love your work and always show up on time and ready to go.   ;-)

I would definitely check references and ensure confirmation a few days before.
Cheers,
Kat.

Dec 11 06 03:37 pm Link

Photographer

Chili

Brooklyn, New York, US

i tell them what the "vig" will be if they dont show up

Dec 11 06 03:54 pm Link

Model

Aztec Doll

Winnetka, California, US

Promise hair, makeup, wardrobe... any or all of the above!

A girl likes to be taken care of!

Dec 11 06 03:55 pm Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Veronica Villa wrote:
Promise hair, makeup, wardrobe... any or all of the above!

A girl likes to be taken care of!

Someone just posted this in another forum- a photographer specifically...he/she (don't remember) hired all of the stylists (i.e. the model's job for a TFP shoot in my opinion) and had two models flake.

if these girls are agency- you should be fine.

Dec 11 06 04:00 pm Link

Photographer

Craig Seay

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Dawnie wrote:

I've been shooting tfcd for a few years and I haven't had a model flake yet. Your work is very good and I would think you shouldn't have a problem with no-shows.

Dec 11 06 04:22 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

I listed some ideas to help motivate people to be on time to shoots like;

(1) Get the people invested in the shoot.  If money is being exchanged, she or he is more likely to show up on time!  It's a serious loss if you show up late to court or the hospital.  So if "serious loss" of money, freedom or life is involved, we show up! tongue

(2) Be sure you have exchanged cell phone numbers AND that directions are CLEAR.  I have a minutes plan that allows for up 5,000 minutes and long distance so I don't care if I talk to someone while giving them directions. 

(3) Have alternative plans or things to do available to you so that you are not bored (which contributes to mad moods.)  I like to have several people around so that I can put someone in right away to check lighting, warm up, etc. ... before the model gets there.  Then when the model arrives, they jump in!  It works that way in Hollywood!  If you can find something else to occupy your time, you'll feel better.

(4) Car pool or make arrangements for transportation.  This is a good thing to do, especially when it's critical to have everyone there about the same time.  Traffic becomes less of an "poor" excuse when we are together in it!  LOL

For those who do "TFP" and complain ... all I can say is what does the photographer and model have to lose?  It's part of the risk you take in doing "TFP" ... it's better to pay the models!

Edit; I've posted the above tips numerous times on the 'net.  I've not had a complete "no show" except for one who was booked to do a Hot Import Nights show .. being at my booth with a dozen other models.  She was not missed, but her grandpa had died the day before, so I understood.  Sometimes I am late .. correction!  Many times I'm late! LOL  It's a bad habit that I'm working on.  So far I have been successful at beating the bad habit by leaving earlier and giving myself plenty of time for traffic problems.

Dec 11 06 04:28 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

Charge a refundable $5. deposit. Five dollars is nothing but you can be sure the model will show up to get it back. If not, you made a whopping $5 profit!! d:-)

Bob
www.bobpardue.com

Dec 11 06 06:24 pm Link

Photographer

groupw

Maricopa, Arizona, US

duct tape....

Dec 11 06 09:08 pm Link