Forums > General Industry > Photogs: Help us help you

Model

DJ Reid

Poughkeepsie, New York, US

I've seen a number of 'whining complaints' from photographers who are getting inappropriate responses from models on casting calls.

The best remedy is COMMUNICATION 101:
Say what you are looking for up front, i.e.; male, female, age bracket, look, etc. Make no assumptions about the thousands of people who are viewing threads. They shouldn't have to 'read between the lines'.

I know that some are excellent at doing postings, but others need to sit back and think 1st.

This is WIN/WIN. Every one saves time, and MM saves space.

Dec 11 06 09:50 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, Pennsylvania, US

DJ Reid wrote:
I've seen a number of 'whining complaints' from photographers who are getting inappropriate responses from models on casting calls.

Say what you are looking for up front, i.e.; male, female, age bracket, look, etc. Make no assumptions about the thousands of people who are viewing threads. They shouldn't have to 'read between the lines'.

I know that some are excellent at doing postings, but others need to sit back and think 1st.

I agree.

to add: If travel is not paid for, say it.

Dec 11 06 10:09 am Link

Photographer

Mark Reese Photography

Brandon, Florida, US

DJ Reid wrote:

You're assuming that EVERY model who looks at a casting call will read the whole thing.

Dec 11 06 10:13 am Link

Photographer

Arizona Shoots

Phoenix, Arizona, US

Yes.. But, I've posted casting calls with ALL of the details before and still I have some dimwits say, "I'm interested. Please send me more info."

WTF? You need to be specific! Especially when all of the info is right in front of you..

Dec 11 06 10:14 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Mark Reese Photography wrote:
You're assuming that EVERY model who looks at a casting call will read the whole thing.

regardless, do it for the models that DO read.

Dec 11 06 10:16 am Link

Photographer

RED Photographic

Does anyone remember the spoof post by someone pointing out that the shoot would involve mutilation and dismemberment?  Not only that, but the poster requested that replies be made by IM.  There were hundreds of genuine replies by models who obviously hadn't read the post.

Dec 11 06 10:17 am Link

Model

Sean Simmon

New York, New York, US

right on!!!!   Its not rocket science....just write down what you are looking for. Thats the difference between a good photog and a bad one.....attention to detail....GOOD POST

Dec 11 06 10:20 am Link

Model

Sean Simmon

New York, New York, US

HUH??? the thing is you can write specific male /female....caucasian...on the post itself....its easy....saves alot of time for you and i...thats all dude

Dec 11 06 10:24 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

RED Photographic wrote:
Does anyone remember the spoof post by someone pointing out that the shoot would involve mutilation and dismemberment?  Not only that, but the poster requested that replies be made by IM.  There were hundreds of genuine replies by models who obviously hadn't read the post.

models are stupid. what do you expect?

Dec 11 06 10:25 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Good ideas DJ, but far from reality and far from understanding how many models on MM behave.

You have no idea how many models don't bother reading casting calls.

So, they respond to casting calls with their standards "I am interested", or the more elaborate version "I am interested. Please check out my portfolio and let me know." to calls that had a deadline of 6 months ago, or are in different parts of the country, especially when requested to apply with email not in the thread.

There were casting calls that were nonsensical and models replied.

Because of all of that... not using common sense, I thought of doing a little experiment and I posted the following casting call:

Afghanistan - Nude Model Wanted (New Taliban Agency) - Paid
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=50434

Within the shortest amount of time, I had six models contacting the fake representative and emailing their photos, because they were "interested".

The internet has it's own dynamic.

UdoR

Dec 11 06 10:28 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

UdoR wrote:
Good ideas DJ, but far from reality and far from understanding how many models on MM behave.

Great Udor- but for those of us, again, that DO read the casting calls, if there's no information, we end up playing tag back and forth through PMing to find out the rest of the info...these are usually the photographers that will send one word answers because they're "too busy" to give out details, or aren't professional enough to have them in the first place...

and thus, they have no room to complain that models are unprofessional when they don't read.

Dec 11 06 10:30 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

John Jebbia wrote:
Yes.. But, I've posted casting calls with ALL of the details before and still I have some dimwits say, "I'm interested. Please send me more info."

WTF? You need to be specific! Especially when all of the info is right in front of you..

Exactly...same here.

Hell, the last two casting calls I posted I even got "critized" by the models because they were to specfic and the models thought I wasn't being "flexable" enough with my terms and requirements.

Sometimes you just can't win.....

Dec 11 06 10:31 am Link

Photographer

udor

New York, New York, US

Daniela V wrote:

Great Udor- but for those of us, again, that DO read the casting calls, if there's no information, we end up playing tag back and forth through PMing to find out the rest of the info...these are usually the photographers that will send one word answers because they're "too busy" to give out details, or aren't professional enough to have them in the first place...

and thus, they have no room to complain that models are unprofessional when they don't read.

Don't get me wrong... I am not advocating cryptic casting calls. I am all for very detailed info.

I am referring to DJ's assumption that it's merely the photographer who is not communicating effectively in his casting calls.

Oh, and I am not certain, but if someone puts out very unspecific casting call... it seems that experience would suggest not bothering to answer at all...

Dec 11 06 10:34 am Link

Photographer

C R Photography

Pleasanton, California, US

DJ Reid wrote:
Every one saves time, and MM saves space.

Typical model reaction to this:
"When did MM join with MySpace?"  tongue

Dec 11 06 10:35 am Link

Photographer

i c e c o l d

Fort Myers, Florida, US

Exactly....there was a "model" on here last night who was responding to casting calls that models posted looking for photographers and she responded by saying "interested, let me know if you like my look and would like more info on the shoot"

Dec 11 06 10:37 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

UdoR wrote:
Don't get me wrong... I am not advocating cryptic casting calls. I am all for very detailed info.

I am referring to DJ's assumption that it's merely the photographer who is not communicating effectively in his casting calls.

Oh, and I am not certain, but if someone puts out very unspecific casting call... it seems that experience would suggest not bothering to answer at all...

Is he assuming that though? Or, are you assuming that he's assuming that?

Dec 11 06 10:38 am Link

Model

Dances with Wolves

Icecold Images wrote:
Exactly....there was a "model" on here last night who was responding to casting calls that models posted looking for photographers and she responded by saying "interested, let me know if you like my look and would like more info on the shoot"

"a" model?

this happens all the time.

Dec 11 06 10:38 am Link

Model

DJ Reid

UdoR wrote:

So, they respond to casting calls with their standards "I am interested", or the more elaborate version "I am interested. Please check out my portfolio and let me know." to calls that had a deadline of 6 months ago, or are in different parts of the country, especially when requested to apply with email not in the thread.

There were casting calls that were nonsensical and models replied.

Because of all of that... not using common sense, I thought of doing a little experiment and I posted the following casting call:

Afghanistan - Nude Model Wanted (New Taliban Agency) - Paid
https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=50434

Within the shortest amount of time, I had six models contacting the fake representative and emailing their photos, because they were "interested".

The internet has it's own dynamic.

UdoR

Dec 11 06 10:46 am Link

Model

DJ Reid

I caught the Taliban one and got a good chuckle!!

Again: WIN/WIN.  If enough people get on the same page, we'll all benefit.
But also appreciate the humor!

Dec 11 06 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Christopher Hartman

Buena Park, California, US

RED Photographic wrote:

I think that was done by Eric.

Dec 11 06 11:00 am Link

Photographer

Richard Tallent

Beaumont, Texas, US

DJ Reid wrote:

People get responses from the casting calls?

(Seriously, someone oughta look into some sort of RSS or daily email digests send to photographers and models in each state or something... using a forum *BUMP* for castings *BUMP* is next to useless.)

Dec 11 06 11:24 am Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

DJ,

I take your approach to castings.  Recently, I posted the following at https://modelmayhem.com/edit_post.php?post_id=1353751 and a few other sites as well.  Here's the actual casting:

I am shooting for my biker e-zine and biker paysite.

Brain Bucket Magazine (http://www.brainbucketmagazine.com) is the top biker e-zine on the web.  We feature news from around the US as well as event coverage, tech articles, and more.  We also do a monthly babe feature.  Our Brain Bucket Biker Babes are also featured on Biker Dolls.

Biker Dolls (http://www.BikerDolls.com) features sexy women with hot choppers, Harleys, and sport bikes.  We will be shooting sexy short/pant outfits, bikini, lingerie, implied nudity, and Playboy style nudity.  Playboy style nudity is full frontal nudity with no pink (labia), i.e. no spread shots.

* Pay is $100/hour for a minimum of two hours and requires a full release.
    * You either need to be local to Jacksonville, Florida or be willing to travel to Jacksonville at your expense. Only exceptional models will be compensated for travel. This usually means you have a huge fanbase and can prove it.  You can also promote BikerDolls.com's affiliate program and earn 1/2 of all signup revenue.
    * Playboy style nudity is required.  No exceptions.
    * You will be doing your own hair and makeup. Wardrobe is not provided unless we are shooting a specific theme and we provide a specific costume or one of our clothing sponsors provides some outfits.
    * Two or more models will be selected as 'Official Brain Bucket Babes' and will be hired for poster and calendar signings at nationwide events throughout the year.

If this sounds like something your interested in, we do shoot this throughout the year.  Our first shoot is on Dec 18 and we need a couple of more girls for that shoot.  If you are available that day, please indicate so.

While you are more than welcome to PM me or post here, the best way to apply is on our site at http://www.brainbucketmagazine.com/Foru … =122.html.

Please do not blindly PM me or post asking for more information.  This post is pretty informative.  We have an immediate need for models for our Dec 18 shoot and each month thereafter.  The best way to stay on our radar for upcoming shoots is to apply on our site.

Mike

While I haven't had anyone posting a reply to the thread there, I have had one girl call me from Texas (not sure if she was planning on paying her own way for a $200-$300 gig) and have had several girls apply on my site only to see that their MM's or other profiles say they will not shoot nudity. 

Yes, a couple of the girls have told me via email and PM that they would do it for this project, and post that on their profiles to keep creeps at bay.  But there's a couple that have been in touch with me before and we couldn't set up a shoot because they wouldn't shoot nudity.  One girl is actually back for the third time.  That's a little frustrating.

I do find that posting a detailed casting does cut down on the work I have to do when contacted by models.  Once they contact me, I assume that they have read the whole thing and are ready to go.  If they meet my criteria, then I call them.  In the first five minutes, I confirm the details of he shoot listed in the casting, and we set it up.

I also use it as a litmus test.  If you're not attentive or smart enough to get all of the details I present, then you're probably not right for this project or any project I ever have coming up.

Just my thoughts.  Thanks to you models who actually read and pay attention.  I love you and always will.  You make my life so much easier.

Mike

Dec 11 06 11:38 am Link

Model

DJ Reid

WOW, Mike, You're over the edge, but I like it! As a science major (and professional), I like the litmus paper analogy.  Maybe we could employ a few canaries in the coal mines to weed out a few as well.  Best wishes and THANKS.

Dec 11 06 03:18 pm Link

Photographer

Michael Newbern

Columbus, Ohio, US

DJ Reid wrote:
WOW, Mike, You're over the edge, but I like it! As a science major (and professional), I like the litmus paper analogy.  Maybe we could employ a few canaries in the coal mines to weed out a few as well.  Best wishes and THANKS.

Yeah, I hate the "PM me for more info" BS.  Since I run that site, I am also part of a very large webmaster community.  You've got guys that want to trade/buy/sell links, and you have to PM them for the URL.  It frustrates me.  Most of the time, it's some BS cookie cutter site that will do me no good.  They say that they don't post the URL's 'cause they don't want Google to pick up on them selling links. How about something like Brain Bucket Magazine dot com?

In today's fast paced world, I have way more to do than to answer the same question 500 times.  That's why I make my castings so detailed.

Mike

Dec 11 06 04:21 pm Link