Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > brush blending mode work around?

Retoucher

findart

Road Town, Tortola, British Virgin Islands

Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for a while. Say I'm working on a layer or a MASK, there're some deep(dark) spots on the layer/mask, surrounded by grey area. Is there any BRUSH blending mode that only brightens the deep spots? I know the technique of Clone Stamp with Brighten mode, protecting bright area....... now I want to achieve similar effect with Brush tool.

Work around? Any idea?

Oct 30 18 07:54 pm Link

Retoucher

WSC

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

Luminosity mask. Or make a copy, invert, load it as selection, go to original mask and use overlay or softlight.

Oct 31 18 08:41 am Link

Retoucher

John Ciambriello

Stuart, Florida, US

Hello,

if this is a mask issue and the colors you are talking about are mostly flat and not a lum mask, you can simply select the lighter color and paint right over the dark spot. It is were a lum mask this would not be possible because of the detail involved. But if its just flat color you can paint over it without a problem. It does seem logical to use the clone stamp but it will not work correctly while in mask mode.

Try it and see if that helps.

I would be happy to discuss this further if need be.

Have a great day!

John

Nov 01 18 07:38 am Link

Retoucher

findart

WSC wrote:
Luminosity mask. Or make a copy, invert, load it as selection, go to original mask and use overlay or softlight.

Thanks for your help.
Actually, I'm trying to "improve" D&B skin cleaning with neutral gray layer. That is to say: Seeing color photo or decolorized version while working on flat neutral gray layer. Hoping I could use a relatively larger brush to deal with a bunch of spots with one stroke.
I just tried Luminosity mask, which seems not suited for subtle pore level variations;
I also tried select dark spots with magic wand, not good either.
But selecting within a threshhold layer works! I'll do more tests.

Nov 01 18 05:58 pm Link

Retoucher

findart

John Ciambriello wrote:
Hello,

if this is a mask issue and the colors you are talking about are mostly flat and not a lum mask, you can simply select the lighter color and paint right over the dark spot. It is were a lum mask this would not be possible because of the detail involved. But if its just flat color you can paint over it without a problem. It does seem logical to use the clone stamp but it will not work correctly while in mask mode.

Try it and see if that helps.

I would be happy to discuss this further if need be.

Have a great day!

John

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

Nov 01 18 06:01 pm Link

Retoucher

WSC

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

findart wrote:
Hoping I could use a relatively larger brush to deal with a bunch of spots with one stroke.

Yes, it's perfect job for luminosity mask.

Nov 01 18 08:38 pm Link