Forums > Model Colloquy > Transgender Models?

Model

ladeedanielle

San Francisco, California, US

Hello everyone,
I am a MTF transwoman who has discovered who I am but due to societal misconceptions I have not made a complete transition. I enjoy modeling and taking pictures. I am open to doing photoshoots in the San Francisco Bay Area. Thanks.

Dec 17 23 05:24 pm Link

Model

ladeedanielle

kennethphotography wrote:
i may have contacted one who i think is pretty but....
the only problem i have is that sometimes what if your not quite sure?
to ask someone are you trans when they are NOT trans...........omg lol welcome to block.

i might suggest model mayham update their settings to allow for adding that.   might help.

Dec 20 23 12:26 am Link

Model

ladeedanielle

kennethphotography wrote:
i may have contacted one who i think is pretty but....
the only problem i have is that sometimes what if your not quite sure?
to ask someone are you trans when they are NOT trans...........omg lol welcome to block.

i might suggest model mayham update their settings to allow for adding that.   might help.

Dec 20 23 12:26 am Link

Model

ladeedanielle

If you meet someone on this site that you think might be trans, it doesn’t hurt to ask. We’re all grown ups here and I don’t think anyone would be offended. Better to be transparent about such matters up front than to discover this on the day of a shoot.

Dec 20 23 12:29 am Link

Model

ladeedanielle

Patrick Walberg wrote:

There are some trans models who post that fact in their "About Me" However it is an interesting suggestion to expand the gender options to include trans.  With California being a liberal State, the DMV here has expanded the gender options, so if a State government can do it, then why not Modelmayhem?  Facebook has certainly expanded the gender options available on profiles, so why not Modelmayhem?   

Would expanding gender options on this site create problems? It is possible that models would be targeted for transphobia hatred, and even put in danger for physical attacks..  All we need to do is look towards Florida to see transphobia and other hatred coming to public attention. Racism and ageism happens and there are options to post one's race and age on this and many other websites. 

Not only have I photographed people who are in the growing LGBTQIA community, I consider myself uniquely a member of the community.  When photographing someone, the focus is on the visual in creating images.  If a "photographer" is so concerned about the gender or sexual identity of a model, then I have grave concerns about their true motive for being a "photographer."  Another thing to consider is do you really need to know?

Dec 29 23 04:47 pm Link

Model

ladeedanielle

I am a trangender model but as others have commented it really shouldn't matter. If I am feminine and that is the theme you're looking for then I am a good candidate.

Dec 29 23 04:49 pm Link

Photographer

XionStudios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

phobia means "fear of" something.  It amazes me how people change the meaning of words to suit their agenda.  Btw, brocolli is a natural plant; 100% natural, organic superfood.  Now sure how that applies here.....  then again, I'm sure someone out there is fearful of brocolli.

Jan 16 24 01:24 pm Link

Photographer

XionStudios

Atlanta, Georgia, US

Patrick Walberg wrote:
There are some trans models who post that fact in their "About Me" However it is an interesting suggestion to expand the gender options to include trans.  With California being a liberal State, the DMV here has expanded the gender options, so if a State government can do it, then why not Modelmayhem?  Facebook has certainly expanded the gender options available on profiles, so why not Modelmayhem?   

Would expanding gender options on this site create problems? It is possible that models would be targeted for transphobia hatred, and even put in danger for physical attacks..  All we need to do is look towards Florida to see transphobia and other hatred coming to public attention. Racism and ageism happens and there are options to post one's race and age on this and many other websites. 

Not only have I photographed people who are in the growing LGBTQIA community, I consider myself uniquely a member of the community.  When photographing someone, the focus is on the visual in creating images.  If a "photographer" is so concerned about the gender or sexual identity of a model, then I have grave concerns about their true motive for being a "photographer."  Another thing to consider is do you really need to know?

The photographer should never have to be left to assume if someone is male, female, trans, etc....  Nor should our motives be questioned for expecting full disclosure.  In order for a photoshoot to be successful, collaboration, creativity and honesty is to be expected.  If anyone feels differently, then they should reconsider the motive of their role as a photographer or model.

Jan 16 24 01:32 pm Link