Forums > General Industry > NE1 use Final Cut Express HD for video editing?

Photographer

Steinberg Photo

Boston, Massachusetts, US

Not sure where to place this, so I took a shot.

I am thinking about teaching myself Final Cut Express HD for basic video editing. I'm looking for suggestions for a good book for someone starting from scratch (ie Final Cut Express HD for Dummies). Also, any web sites (other than Apple) or other sources of info that would be helpful.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 09 06 10:07 pm Link

Photographer

Studio Spike

New York, New York, US

I don't know of a book, but don't forget the help files and tutorials that come with the app.  I'm fairly good with Final Cut Pro and haven't had a book....Google is your friend toooo    smile

Dec 09 06 10:30 pm Link

Photographer

KHatch

Utica, New York, US

Try Final Cut Express for Mac OS X, Visual Quick Start Guide by Peachpit Press. I picked mine up at Barnes and Noble. It's pretty thorough and easy to thumb through for reference. The illustrations/screen shots could be better though.

There was another book there too with better illustrations and a cdrom but was more expensive.

You also have Atomic Press and Gust.

Have you looked into the Apple Online Seminars? Yeah, they do a lot of hardware plugging but some of them can be pretty informative.

Dec 10 06 09:20 am Link

Photographer

MartinImages

Los Angeles, California, US

my opinion, it's mostly about spending the hours...

books are great, but nothing sticks till you do it.

The manuals/tutorials that come with the program are PLENTY to get you started. 

Just like photo work.  You can take a class.  Or you can shoot.

I think most of us know what gets you there quickest.

And yup...google specific probs you have..there are SO many users out there that for nearly any place you get stuck, you got tons of company..and they love to write about it.

It's pretty basic..and easy...it's just DEEP.  Dive in and see how it goes, I'd say.

Good Luck!

B

Dec 10 06 11:54 am Link