Forums > General Industry > *sigh* no-call-no-show

Photographer

Max Johnson

San Jose, California, US

Well, I organized a TFP for this evening. The model was coming in from out of town for something on Saturday and said she could do a shoot Friday night. Got together with an MUA, and stylist. Even got stuff for salad and pasta after the shoot...

No call. No show. Luckily the model, stylist, and MUA were going to car-pool, so we didn't all meet up someplace and wait around for an hour; not that that's ever happened I'm sure wink

Her loss. I made my secret kiwi-lime vinagrette and now she'll never know it's tangy goodness.

At least I got a cool test-shot when I was doing some prep-work last night...
https://itsmax.net/pictures/12-06/frostyMax.jpg

Oh photoshop, you won't ever stand me up.

Dec 09 06 12:58 am Link

Photographer

Antonio Carrasco

Los Angeles, California, US

Yeah, I hate it when that happens!

Dec 09 06 01:02 am Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

bless...
sorry to hear that

but
you look cute when you are pissed off

wink

Dec 09 06 01:05 am Link

Photographer

Max Johnson

San Jose, California, US

Anjel Britt wrote:
bless...
sorry to hear that

but
you look cute when you are pissed off

wink

Aww... thanks! It's not often the photog gets called cute big_smile

You're a bit of a looker yourself!

Dec 09 06 01:08 am Link

Photographer

R A Photography

Lawton, Oklahoma, US

Don't worry...I have yet to get a model in my portfolio, because every one I have set up so far pulls the no-call/no-show. I may have to just hit up someone on myspace...sigh.

Dec 09 06 02:09 pm Link

Photographer

LightLab Studios

Seattle, Washington, US

my friggin' model today was a no show. does she think i don't have something better to do on a saturday?

Dec 09 06 02:11 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

BeccaAnnPhotoGal wrote:
Don't worry...I have yet to get a model in my portfolio, because every one I have set up so far pulls the no-call/no-show. I may have to just hit up someone on myspace...sigh.

Wow this profession is really in the crapper when we're having to rely on Myspace models as reliable subjects.

Dec 09 06 02:12 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I'm telling you...always schedule to meet the model at a place you would normally enjoy being anyway. Though I rarely have no-shows, I plan to meet all models at Starbucks about 2 miles from my home. If they no-show I could care less because I would be hanging out there anyway.

Dec 09 06 02:14 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Max, sorry to hear that!  This is a tough time of year for getting projects done that aren't related to Christmas ... heck it's difficult to get anything done!

I have been fortunate in regards to "no shows" ... because I require a planning meeting with anyone before shooting for the first time.  It has been only a few of those who did not make it to the initial first meeting which did not show or call. We normally meet at a Starbucks.  At those times I read the paper and drink my coffee as so it's not a total loss. 

Here is a repost of my blog on MySpace, it's in regards to getting people to show up and on time!

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Late again? How to be on time ...
Current mood:  cheerful
Category: Art and Photography

It's not fair to pick on models when photographers and just about any human being can be late.  I commented on another thread about this but it got buried.  I listed some ideas to help motivate people to be on time to shoots like;

(1) Get the people invested in the shoot.  If money is being exchanged, she or he is more likely to show up on time!  It's a serious loss if you show up late to court or the hospital.  So if "serious loss" of money, freedom or life is involved, we show up! tongue

(2) Be sure you have exchanged cell phone numbers AND that directions are CLEAR.  I have a minutes plan that allows for up 5,000 minutes and long distance so I don't care if I talk to someone while giving them directions. 

(3) Have alternative plans or things to do available to you so that you are not bored (which contributes to mad moods.)  I like to have several people around so that I can put someone in right away to check lighting, warm up, etc. ... before the model gets there.  Then when the model arrives, they jump in!  It works that way in Hollywood!  If you can find something else to occupy your time, you'll feel better.

(4) Car pool or make arrangements for transportation.  This is a good thing to do, especially when it's critical to have everyone there about the same time.  Traffic becomes less of an "poor" excuse when we are together in it!  LOL

For those who do "TFP" and complain ... all I can say is what does the photographer and model have to lose?  It's part of the risk you take in doing "TFP" ... it's better to pay the models!

Best wishes!
Patrick

Dec 09 06 02:38 pm Link

Photographer

Patrick Walberg

San Juan Bautista, California, US

Michael Pandolfo wrote:
Wow this profession is really in the crapper when we're having to rely on Myspace models as reliable subjects.

Back in March of 2001 when I first set up a profile on OMP, I wrote to models, and kept trying to get someone to schedule to shoot with me.  It took about a year before I shot with my "first" from OMP!  Now I am in the same situation with ModelMayhem.  I know many of the models I've shot with are already on here, however I knew them from else where.  So this weekend "might" be the first model for me who came directly from Model Mayhem.

Dec 09 06 02:46 pm Link

Model

Iona Lynn

Oakland, California, US

https://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=86433

Go here max and meet up with people in person...
you might meet up with soem great photographers you can learn from, some great TFP models, and some great  profesional models as well.

Dec 09 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

Dark Angel Photos

Heath, Ohio, US

Same here, I had a noc all no show today. I jst talked to her a couple days ago and she said she will be there. Oh well another day gone by. Time to move on.

Dec 09 06 02:48 pm Link

Photographer

photosbydmp

Shepparton-Mooroopna, Victoria, Australia

have not had an aussie model show for a shoot since 17th january this year, now that really blows.

Dec 09 06 02:53 pm Link

Photographer

Max Johnson

San Jose, California, US

Iona Lynn wrote:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/posts.php?thread_id=86433

Go here max and meet up with people in person...
you might meet up with soem great photographers you can learn from, some great TFP models, and some great  profesional models as well.

Damn and double-damn! I missed out... next time?

Dec 09 06 11:39 pm Link

Photographer

Max Johnson

San Jose, California, US

Thanks everyone for the support. I'm beginning to feel that it's less of a reflection on me as an organizer if it happens this often. Nothin' for it but to keep trying! I'm going to take some of the advice laid down here and do a meet beforehand to weed out flakey models.

Dec 09 06 11:43 pm Link

Photographer

James Hilsdon

Hagerstown, Maryland, US

No - Show's really are a bummer. We've had our share, and believe me, it puts me in a really bad mood too! Why can't people just be polite???????

Loved the test shot, it was cool!

Theresa Hilsdon
Hilsdon Photography LLC
http://www.hilsdonphoto.com

Dec 09 06 11:45 pm Link

Photographer

mccStudio

Santa Cruz, California, US

pain is good for art.

Dec 09 06 11:55 pm Link

Model

Grace Face

Sorry to hear that your model flaked on you, especially after the work you put in to get a team together sad  It's definitely hard to find people who are reliable on both ends.

Anyways, I think your shot came out very well, I like how vividly the colors stand out and how the model is in focus.

Dec 10 06 07:00 am Link