Forums > Newbie Forum > DO NOT WORK WITH [email protected] **SCAM**

Model

shelbou

Tampa, Florida, US

Hey yall! In light of the western union scam settlement recently being decided, I wanted to give you a heads up that:

[email protected]

is a scammer trying to get you to deposit a (fake) check and send them money! have a great thanksgiving, and stay smart <3

Nov 22 17 02:08 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

It is a bad idea to display your email in your profile as it is visible to every scammer in the world and will draw them like a magnet.
The scam you describe is the Nigerian Scam

Nov 23 17 05:46 pm Link

Model

shelbou

Tampa, Florida, US

Flex Photography wrote:
It is a bad idea to display your email in your profile as it is visible to every scammer in the world and will draw them like a magnet.
The scam you describe is the Nigerian Scam

i appreciate the advice - i just rarely check the site and saw others use it as a solution. removing it now smile

Nov 25 17 08:59 am Link

Photographer

Cully Firmin

Lafayette, Louisiana, US

I just got a solicitation from that email address. Many do originate in Nigeria (earning the scam ID). Many contacts also come from "call centers" in India too; sometimes working together. I started a collection of these fake checks. I can't spend too much time playing with these con-artists but I enjoy putting them through as much trouble as I can manage. One got carried away and gave me 3 different bank accounts in 3 different states after the MoneyGram problems I feigned. The phone voices were Indian. Two of the accounts led to stooges who move the money for a slice without really knowing who they work for. But one was for a major Nigerian principal the FTC knew. It's hard to get helpful evidence though. Most are too careful. The 56 recently extradited for Federal trials in San Antonio took over $330-million with the IRS collection scam. Targets made a lot of noise over those calls. I'm afraid deceived model hopefuls tend to be embarrassed and quiet. Please process FTC complaints with what information you manage to get. But it's worth it to try too hard.
https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

Dec 29 17 07:43 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

shelbou wrote:
i appreciate the advice - i just rarely check the site and saw others use it as a solution. removing it now smile

If you ask me... that's a mistake.  I would strongly recommend logging in here at least a few times a week to check your messages... I mean come on... you can even accomplish this on your smart phone.  This is a NETWORKING site... not a 'toss pics on a page and hope for the best' site.  Nothing pisses photographers off more than models who don't return messages, or hardly ever log in.  Pretty strong possibility that by not checking messages for a few weeks... a few months... or even a few years... you've missed out on maybe a few... or even several paid assignments.  Behavior such as this screams 'inconsiderate flake' to MM photographers... wink

I had a model send me a message a few months back (obviously after not logging in for several months) telling me that she was interested in going on LAST YEARS 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'... lol   Sad part about this is... she was quite attractive and if she would have logged in and check her messages AT LEAST once a month... I probably could have got her a photographer sponsor (had a few seeking models for that event) and she would have got a free cruiseboat shoot ($600 tickets for that cruise)... hmm

Dec 30 17 09:28 am Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Select Models wrote:
If you ask me... that's a mistake.  I would strongly recommend logging in here at least a few times a week to check your messages... I mean come on... you can even accomplish this on your smart phone.  This is a NETWORKING site... not a 'toss pics on a page and hope for the best' site.  Nothing pisses photographers off more than models who don't return messages, or hardly ever log in.  Pretty strong possibility that by not checking messages for a few weeks... a few months... or even a few years... you've missed out on maybe a few... or even several paid assignments.  Behavior such as this screams 'inconsiderate flake' to MM photographers... wink

I had a model send me a message a few months back (obviously after not logging in for several months) telling me that she was interested in going on LAST YEARS 'Cruiseboat Photoshoot'... lol   Sad part about this is... she was quite attractive and if she would have logged in and check her messages AT LEAST once a month... I probably could have got her a photographer sponsor (had a few seeking models for that event) and she would have got a free cruiseboat shoot ($600 tickets for that cruise)... hmm

With all of the current social media sites there comes a point where one can become spread too thin, God forbid missing out on some likes due to the possibility of landing a real opportunity.

Dec 31 17 05:40 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:
With all of the current social media sites there comes a point where one can become spread too thin, God forbid missing out on some likes due to the possibility of landing a real opportunity.

Sure, but most social media/network sites send you an email if someone sends you a message. This site certainly does as well as sending emails when someone tags you, comments on your photos or adds your work to a list.

Any model could easily set up a free email address for their modeling and use that for Model Mayhem, Instagram or wherever else they market themselves. It doesn't take much effort to look at one's phone, see they have a message from Model Mayhem and use the link to come to the site.

Dec 31 17 01:52 pm Link

Photographer

Worlds Of Water

Rancho Cucamonga, California, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Sure, but most social media/network sites send you an email if someone sends you a message. This site certainly does as well as sending emails when someone tags you, comments on your photos or adds your work to a list.

Any model could easily set up a free email address for their modeling and use that for Model Mayhem, Instagram or wherever else they market themselves. It doesn't take much effort to look at one's phone, see they have a message from Model Mayhem and use the link to come to the site.

+1... BINGO!

Dec 31 17 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Jason McKendricks wrote:

Yes, but one has to opt in to receive email notifications from MM which is easier said than done, have You looked at the site on a phone?

Jan 03 18 01:59 am Link

Photographer

Jason McKendricks

Chico, California, US

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY wrote:

Yes, but one has to opt in to receive email notifications from MM which is easier said than done, have You looked at the site on a phone?

Yes, and on my tablet. It is true that this site is not optimized for mobile so I click "Request Desktop Site" on my browser so I get the full version.

Jan 03 18 03:35 pm Link