Retoucher

Light retoucher

London, England, United Kingdom

Hi all, I made this retouching tutorial recently and I am hoping to do more in the future, please have a look and let me know your opinion : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFSbNe1TqpM&t=16s

Thank you!

Oct 15 17 02:23 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Perhaps it is a little early to teach.

Oct 15 17 04:06 am Link

Photographer

LA StarShooter

Los Angeles, California, US

anchev wrote:

he already has at least one client on Model Mayhem and it is common strategy for retouchers in the early going to post tutorial videos as it may lead to getting more clients.

What do you think he did wrong? I have yet to look at the whole thing but will later. I looked at enough of it to see he strives to stay true to his goal of a gentle approach to retouching.

It would be good to give him specifics.

Oct 15 17 10:21 am Link

Retoucher

I have never made any tutorials in order to get more clients, so I can't give specifics.

Oct 15 17 12:41 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

I noticed that after you created your mask around the hair and wanted to soften hard edges with blur, your steps were filter > blur > Gaussian Blur

Quick tip: When you desire some blurring to soften a layer mask, simply double click the layer mask thumbnail, you should instantly see properties menu for the mask and in there you can effect mask blur to your hearts content. This is not only a quicker method, but it is also a non-destructive method. With your method, if at a later time you wanted go back and readjust the blur, lets say minutes later after doing other work on the image, it would require using the history panel to go back a few steps, which would be bad because you could have a significant amount of work done after you blurred that mask. By stepping back in history, to a state prior to adding the blurring using your original method, would mean that work that was originally after the blur was applied would be lost. Also, once you save and close a photoshop file, the history is cleared by the next time file is re-opened. By using the properties menu method I described, you can easily go back and readjust blur or return to the original no-blur mask state with access to adjustment sliders in the mask properties menu.

Yeah, that is a rather long explanation for a rather quick and simple task to those who know this already, but for those who may not be aware or have forgotten, hopefully this proves helpful.  Enjoy your day.

Oct 15 17 02:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
I noticed that after you created your mask around the hair and wanted to soften hard edges with blur, your steps were filter > blur > Gaussian Blur

Quick tip: When you desire some blurring to soften a layer mask, simply double click the layer mask thumbnail, you should instantly see properties menu for the mask and in there you can effect mask blur to your hearts content. This is not only a quicker method, but it is also a non-destructive method. With your method, if at a later time you wanted go back and readjust the blur, lets say minutes later after doing other work on the image, it would require using the history panel to go back a few steps, which would be bad because you could have a significant amount of work done after you blurred that mask. By stepping back in history, to a state prior to adding the blurring using your original method, would mean that work that was originally after the blur was applied would be lost. Also, once you save and close a photoshop file, the history is cleared by the next time file is re-opened. By using the properties menu method I described, you can easily go back and readjust blur or return to the original no-blur mask state with access to adjustment sliders in the mask properties menu.

Yeah, that is a rather long explanation for a rather quick and simple task to those who know this already, but for those who may not be aware or have forgotten, hopefully this proves helpful.  Enjoy your day.

Thank you for the tip, I will give it a try and see how it goes. You can also use the path from the pen tool to make another sharp mask, the path will stay there even if you don't save psd. You have to give it a name to be shore it stays there even if you try to make another path.

Oct 17 17 02:55 am Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher

anchev wrote:

I work for vogue and elle magazine covers and I am trying to give back some knowledge

Oct 17 17 03:01 am Link

Retoucher

fireshoot

Naples, Campania, Italy

Light retoucher wrote:
I work for vogue and elle magazine covers and I am trying to give back some knowledge

I have seen your tutorial.
I think that this technique, easy to do, is not a basic technique. It's a method about much more complex process to remove hair that crosses with others. I use this technique too, but only for too obvious differences in brightness between reflections and hair shadows. To have more uniform hair, i use more techniques, and this too. For me it's a good tutorial, but not basic for newbie to post production.
I have also used that technique in shadow for this image.: https://www.modelmayhem.com/portfolio/pic/43220052

Oct 17 17 07:25 am Link

Retoucher

Light retoucher wrote:

Then I guess someone who works for money is not qualified to tell you that this portrait is not a beauty image as the video says at 0:13.

Oct 17 17 09:40 am Link