Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > restore background after rotation // Lightroom

Photographer

StephanL

Meaux, Île-de-France, France

Hello,

I've got a couple a picture where the horizon must be corrected.
After that step, if I want to keep a correct composition, there is a little white area in the corner.

is there a possibility to correct that (extend some background texture ?) within Lightroom or
is it mandatory to photoshop it ?

thanks a lot for any help saving time wink

Cheers,
Stephane

Aug 25 17 09:54 am Link

Photographer

Leonard Gee Photography

Sacramento, California, US

StephanL wrote:
I've got a couple a picture where the horizon must be corrected.
After that step, if I want to keep a correct composition, there is a little white area in the corner.

is there a possibility to correct that (extend some background texture ?) within Lightroom or
is it mandatory to photoshop it ?

the "white" is whatever background color you have set at the time of the rotation. naturally, the area is a result of no image part outside of your image area. you may either crop it out or replace it with a matching part of the image from another area.

the greater the rotation, the more blank area will result. so a slight rotation and crop may be the easiest. it just depends on how much extra space you have in the frame. it is much more problematic for tight crops of the subject. seamless paper or single tone backgrounds are simple to extend or replace. much of it will depend on the rotation angle, the background and what area is available in your original image.

Aug 25 17 11:46 am Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

You could try the spot removal brush and run it over the white area adjacent to the actual background in Lightroom. Not sure what kind of result you will get. Otherwise you will have to use photoshop....probably content aware fill.

Aug 25 17 05:02 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Lightroom is mainly a catalog software. It has an interface to ACR which allows limited local adjustments but it doesn't have the more powerful tools of Photoshop which may be needed for more accurate cloning. So whatever works for your particular needs.

Aug 26 17 12:12 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

I would try content-aware fill in PhotoShop.

Aug 26 17 02:27 pm Link

Photographer

FIFTYONE PHOTOGRAPHY

Uniontown, Pennsylvania, US

Depending on how much of the image is missing this is an relatively easy fix in Photoshop, if there is too much gone I will chalk the shot up as a loss.

Easy to say but try to get it right in Camera.

Aug 27 17 02:31 pm Link