Forums > Newbie Forum > Old to model mayhem, but new to professionals

Model

Katherinexchristine

Cape May Court House, New Jersey, US

I've just recently started booking real shoots with photographers, but i feel like everyone who contacts me only wants to shoot nudes, how to i reach out and do more then just that?

i don't mind nudes, but i don't wanna be label as only that, i feel like i'm capable of so much more,

so what is it? am i not made for fashion? am i only getting nude offers because i have a slim figure?

Jun 25 17 10:25 am Link

Photographer

Shadow Dancer

Bellingham, Washington, US

Katherinexchristine wrote:
I've just recently started booking real shoots with photographers, but i feel like everyone who contacts me only wants to shoot nudes, how to i reach out and do more then just that?

i don't mind nudes, but i don't wanna be label as only that, i feel like i'm capable of so much more,

so what is it? am i not made for fashion? am i only getting nude offers because i have a slim figure?

We are not allowed to critique in this forum. You will get more responses if you move this to one of the Critique forums.

I will just say that fashion requirements for female models include a minimum height of 5'9" with rare exceptionss being slightly shorter.

Jun 25 17 11:15 am Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

You are probably getting nude offers because that is the nature of MM.  Especially if you are looking for paid work.  As already stated, we cannot critique here and you would get different info from that section.  In general terms, you may be advertising for nude work more than you realize.  4 bikini shots.  4 topless shots.  4, I am going to call them art shots, which include portrait and topless; all of which are obviously from the same shoot, which was topless.  If you want work as a model wearing a sundress along the edge of the ocean, a couple of shots of that might help. 

I am also going to suggest that you are in a bad location.  You are largely cut off from the south and southwest, there is nothing to the east.  It could be worse, you could be in Cape May Point.  But then, that could be a plus.  You may also want to get some shots in your port of the great Cape May architecture, the lighthouse, fishing boats, or other features that could bring people to you to shoot the picturesque location.   You get 50 slots now with the free subscription.  If you start marketing yourself as "a face of Cape May", you may get some local advertisements.

If you changed your location to Atlantic City, you might attract the attention of other people and work in that, a rather different atmosphere and more central to the South Jersey Coast.  Or if you upgraded to VIP or Premium, and listed multiple locations, including Philadelphia.

I think this is going to be about how you market yourself and how good your profile looks.   But the money is in the nudes.

Sometime this summer, I am planning on taking my dog to the dog beach in Wildwood.  Maybe we can work something out.  And Cape May is great for bird watching and I hope to hit that once this fall.

Jun 25 17 12:53 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

You're getting only nude offers because you say you shoot nudes. A suggestion would be to get rid of all the nude pictures in your portfolio and in your bio, state exactly what you're looking to shoot (that is not nude). When the photographers make offers after that and they ask if you are willing to do nude, then you reply, ... "sometimes, but I have to get other shots in as well."

Jun 25 17 04:34 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

00siris wrote:
You're getting only nude offers because you say you shoot nudes. A suggestion would be to get rid of all the nude pictures in your portfolio and in your bio, state exactly what you're looking to shoot (that is not nude). When the photographers make offers after that and they ask if you are willing to do nude, then you reply, ... "sometimes, but I have to get other shots in as well."

Has the rule been changed?  Is it now OK to ask a model who says "No nudes" to pose nude?

Jun 26 17 05:18 am Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

00siris wrote:

Mark Salo wrote:
Has the rule been changed?  Is it now OK to ask a model who says "No nudes" to pose nude?

I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I suggested that she not make a reference to nudity which is different from saying "no nudes" - just don't mention it.

Jun 26 17 06:31 am Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

00siris wrote:

Agreed, you say you do nude shots and your portfolio shows nude shots, so no surprise that you get approached for nude shots! smile

Jun 27 17 01:20 am Link