Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Photoshop Issue - Desperate for Help

Retoucher

Niall Doyle

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Hey Everyone, I have a bit of a Photoshop issue I could do with some help on.

For some reason my keyboard seems to be messing up only when in Photoshop. Such as, occasionally when pressing the space bar to move around it zooms in to pixel level.

When pressing alt to clone stamp, sometimes it doesn’t work and others it keeps the selector up as if I’m keeping hold of the alt key still. It happens when trying to use the eyedropper as well by pressing alt with the brush tool selected.

It’s probably just a stupid thing but I can’t figure out how to fix it. I’ve tried resetting all Photoshop preferences and from looking at the keyboard viewer in mac, I can see that the keys aren’t staying stuck down or anything. Also I’m on the latest Photoshop CC

If anyone can help me figure this out I’d be very grateful as I’m working on location for the next 4 weeks and it’s really slowing me down.

Jun 21 17 01:32 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Niall Doyle wrote:
from looking at the keyboard viewer in mac, I can see that the keys aren’t staying stuck down or anything.

Regardless of that I would try hitting a few times CTRL/CMD and Alt keys. Also check if you have assigned any key combinations to your tablet/pen.

Jun 21 17 03:04 am Link

Retoucher

MJRetouch

Norristown, Pennsylvania, US

According to quick Google search, some people how have had this problem solved it by reinstalling the previous Wacom driver..

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2159581

Jun 21 17 03:24 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

This may not work for you because you said you reset your preferences... but... when my Photoshop begins acting crazy and unpredictably...  I will sometimes "Reset Photoshop".  To do this:

Press and continue to hold down on the Alt + Control + Shift keys ( in Windows) or the Option + Command + Shift keys ( in Mac) "immediately" just as you begin to click to start up Photoshop.  If you caught the opening sequence right... then you will be prompted in a small popup to delete the current settings.  I say YES.  Many times this has restored Photoshop back to a predictable state for me.

If you are in the Windows world... sometimes a keyboard remapping feature called "Sticky Keys" comes into play... where the keyboard gets re-mapped and allows you to make special use of the alt and control keys.  Im not a MAC user like you unfortunately...  so I dont know if you guys have that kind of a special keyboard remapping feature.  You'd have to Google it for the "remove mapping" procedure for your OS.  There have been several times where ive had my keyboard mapped separately...and it interfered with my use of Photoshop.

Jun 21 17 04:58 am Link

Retoucher

Niall Doyle

Manchester, England, United Kingdom

Thanks everyone, not long after making this post I fixed it, turns out it was a problem with the wacom tablet software. so as mentioned above, i uninstalled it and downloaded the latest update. Thanks everyone

Jun 21 17 05:14 am Link