Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Why Aren't There More 3D Lut-making Programs?

Photographer

j francis photography

Los Angeles, California, US

I first noticed 3D LUTs back around 2006 when someone I knew was working on the Angelina Jolie movie, "Taking Lives." There was a sequence shot in summer that needed to look like winter and I was impressed at how easily he was able to turn the green leafy branches into fluffy, snow-covered ones. I think he was working on an Autodesk Flame or Inferno -- something like that.

Why haven't they percolated down into programs like Photoshop faster, especially since it is able to accept them as input? Is it a patent issue?

Jun 09 17 02:54 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

> Why Aren't There More 3D Lut-making Programs?

Why do you need many programs when one (3dlutcreator) does the work just fine?

j francis photography wrote:
Why haven't they percolated down into programs like Photoshop faster, especially since it is able to accept them as input?

LUTs have existed long before Photoshop had support for them. So the right question is why Photoshop still looks like a program from the 90s. In maths lookup tables have been known and used ages before there were even computers.

Is it a patent issue?

When I studied patent law we were told that it is not legally possible to patent a method, a formula or a know-how. So I don't think one can patent a series of numbers or the way they are interpolated.

Jun 09 17 03:50 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Lindridge

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom

anchev wrote:
I don't think one can patent a series of numbers or the way they are interpolated.

A few decades ago the technique of using the boolean logic XOR operation to toggle bits and flash a cursor was patented and successfully challenged in court, with Commodore forced to pay up to $10 million. They couldn't pay and this led ultimately to their demise. There are plenty of crazy patents, but in this case I'm pretty sure that it's not any patent issue and there are programs that can create 3D LUTS. I've not tried but I believe Lr can produce a LUT from a preset (not sure if's 1D or 3D though), and calibration software such as Dispcal, calman and lightspace can of course.

Jun 24 17 03:23 pm Link

Photographer

j francis photography

What does that Adobe Speedgrade software do?

Jun 24 17 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Nick Lindridge

Canterbury, England, United Kingdom

What does that Adobe Speedgrade software do?

It was for colour grading, but Adobe have killed off speedgrade. Wanted to try it but it became incompatible with newer Premier Pro versions despite having a seemingly good shot matching feature that PP doesn't have, and then I switched to Resolve anyway.

Jun 24 17 03:53 pm Link

Retoucher

Nick Ridge wrote:
A few decades ago the technique of using the boolean logic XOR operation to toggle bits and flash a cursor was patented and successfully challenged in court, with Commodore forced to pay up to $10 million. They couldn't pay and this led ultimately to their demise. There are plenty of crazy patents, but in this case I'm pretty sure that it's not any patent issue and there are programs that can create 3D LUTS.

I don't know if you have read the patent in question (I haven't) but from what I found on the web, it definitely includes much more stuff than just toggling bits by using XOR:

https://www.google.com/patents/US4197590

One of the criteria for patent to be possible is newness and number interpolation is not something new.

I've not tried but I believe Lr can produce a LUT from a preset (not sure if's 1D or 3D though)

LR cannot export LUTs.

Jun 26 17 08:23 am Link

Retoucher

Aurica C

Chişinău, Chişinău, Moldova

I use one program for working with luts, and I like it very much. https://3dlutcreator.com/ - here the program, here https://www.youtube.com/user/agorka/videos the channel with tutorials. I understand that it's not the answer to question, but perhaps author will be interested in it.

Jul 23 17 12:38 am Link

Photographer

J Diffner Photography

Sequim, Washington, US

You can export LUTs directly from Photoshop (Lightroom requires a separate plugin).  In PS, make your changes then go to File > Export > Color Lookup Table

Jul 24 17 09:43 am Link

Photographer

j francis photography

J Diffner Photography wrote:
You can export LUTs directly from Photoshop (Lightroom requires a separate plugin).  In PS, make your changes then go to File > Export > Color Lookup Table

But that's using Photoshop's tools. In certain cases working with a 3D LUT in software like the one mentioned above is more powerful and easier than using what Photoshop provides.

Jul 24 17 10:25 am Link

Retoucher

In certain cases working with a 3D LUT in software like the one mentioned above is more powerful and easier than using what Photoshop provides.

And much more efficient. Using 1 LUT vs using N adjustment layers in Photoshop, wasting memory for masks and all that. Photoshop is simply a very old software which Adobe don't seem interested to bring to a new level.

Jul 24 17 10:36 am Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch

Denver, Colorado, US

You still need masks. LUT will not give you local corrections. Think of it as a better version of Selective color/Curves.

Jul 24 17 11:36 pm Link

Retoucher

CLICK retouch wrote:
You still need masks. LUT will not give you local corrections. Think of it as a better version of Selective color/Curves.

https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/p … -with-luts

Check the part "What LUTs cannot do"

Jul 24 17 11:51 pm Link

Retoucher

Alex ivanoff

Bălţi, Bălţi, Moldova

Jul 26 17 09:39 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

anchev wrote:

https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/p … -with-luts

Check the part "What LUTs cannot do"

Your point is?

Jul 29 17 02:13 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan wrote:
Your point is?

Confirming and expanding a little on what CLICK retouch said.

Jul 29 17 03:10 am Link