Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

Indianapolis, Indiana, US

I currently use LR 5 and CS 5.1 and it's time to upgrade. My question is, and you still buy these programs or do you have to use the creative cloud?

Lastly, how can I see if my camera will be supported by the upgrades?

May 01 17 12:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

May 01 17 01:33 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Why do you feel that it's time to upgrade?  Do LR 5 and CS 5.1 support your cameras?

May 01 17 02:28 pm Link

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

Mark Salo wrote:
Why do you feel that it's time to upgrade?  Do LR 5 and CS 5.1 support your cameras?

They do not. I just got the Sony a7rii

May 01 17 02:46 pm Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

Not sure if you would be interested but Capture One has a raw converter for Sony only and it's free or for $50. you can go for Capture One for Sony Pro. The benefit with the pro version is tethering...if you don't tether then the free version might be all you need.

May 01 17 03:48 pm Link

Photographer

Bernard Wolf

Santa Monica, California, US

Here are differences between Express & Pro: http://downloads.phaseone.com/TestP1Dow … sVsPro.pdf

May 01 17 03:52 pm Link

Retoucher

Buzz Photography LLC wrote:
They do not. I just got the Sony a7rii

You can simply update ACR. This is the actual software which makes the raw conversion:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/c … aller.html

If all you need is a raw converter - use RawTherapee. Free, opensource and more powerful than ACR and C1. Or choose a libraw based converter (libraw is also free and supports your camera). Digikam for example gives you both libraw conversion + catalog organizer. Also free.

Here is a short comparison of raw converters I made some time ago:

https://goo.gl/fkX91A

May 01 17 04:19 pm Link

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

anchev wrote:

You can simply update ACR. This is the actual software which makes the raw conversion:

https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/c … aller.html

If all you need is a raw converter - use RawTherapee. Free, opensource and more powerful than ACR and C1. Or choose a libraw based converter (libraw is also free and supports your camera). Digikam for example gives you both libraw conversion + catalog organizer. Also free.

Here is a short comparison of raw converters I made some time ago:

https://goo.gl/fkX91A

How does a raw convert work?

May 01 17 04:38 pm Link

Retoucher

How does a raw convert work?

It takes the raw file and decodes the data in it - demosaic, color matrix, white balance, exposure, gamma and master curve etc.

May 01 17 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

anchev wrote:

It takes the raw file and decodes the data in it - demosaic, color matrix, white balance, exposure, gamma and master curve etc.

Does it work behind the scenes? Automatically?

May 01 17 04:59 pm Link

Retoucher

Some parts of it may happen behind the scenes, depending on the particular software. For example in ACR and C1 you cannot control the demosaic method. They also have built in curves which the user cannot cancel. So you are enforced to accept what Adobe and PhaseOne consider that your input for further retouching should be. That may work at a certain limited level but once you have learned that these "smart" and "sell-it-easy" things are actually a problem for correct and quality post-processing you will want more control. For example in a converter like RawTherapee or libraw you are not compelled to agree to a particular curve pre-applied to your image and you can also choose different demosaic methods.

Other parts are obviously things you need to set as an input parameter (using sliders / numbers) although they may have some default values, e.g. white balance, exposure.

May 02 17 01:37 am Link

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

anchev wrote:

May 02 17 05:21 am Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

I currently use LR 5 and CS 5.1 and it's time to upgrade. My question is, and you still buy these programs or do you have to use the creative cloud?

To answer your question, the LR upgrade alone is $79. 
A whole year of PS and LR which includes all current upgrades, a portfolio website, and a few other cool things is only $31 more.

It's pretty much worth it.

May 02 17 12:35 pm Link

Photographer

Sharp Shooter Photo

SayCheeZ!  wrote:

To answer your question, the LR upgrade alone is $79. 
A whole year of PS and LR which includes all current upgrades, a portfolio website, and a few other cool things is only $31 more.

It's pretty much worth it.

Think that answers my questions. Now I just have to remember how to load all my actions and such!

May 02 17 03:46 pm Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Lastly, how can I see if my camera will be supported by the upgrades?

I'm running CC, and won't look back.

May 02 17 06:03 pm Link