Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Masking blonde hair on a white background HELP!

Retoucher

nickyvan

Cape Town, Western Cape, South Africa

Hey guys

So I've been given a seemingly impossible task of masking out a blonde model shot on a white background - THEN changing the background to a dark grey. I have used channels and drawing in the hair which is going ok but not great.. also it is PAINFULLY slow!

I was wondering if there was a trick/ other technique to this that someone could enlighten me on.

Thank you in advance!

Mar 17 17 03:17 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

nickyvan wrote:
Hey guys

So I've been given a seemingly impossible task of masking out a blonde model shot on a white background - THEN changing the background to a dark grey. I have used channels and drawing in the hair which is going ok but not great.. also it is PAINFULLY slow!

I was wondering if there was a trick/ other technique to this that someone could enlighten me on.

Thank you in advance!

There are no tricks that make post-processing a replacement for proper photography. Obviously separating things which are very close to each other in terms of luminosity should not be done using RGB model as it is additive. Try to convert to CMYK or LAB and use the channels available there to create your mask.

Mar 17 17 03:32 am Link