Forums > General Industry > Tear Sheets

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Okay, so I manage a popular lingerie store and every year the company head office sends us several versions of posters, signs and catalogues of the models in the selections we're offering that season. So today a girl comes into my store and asks if we have any leftover 8''11'' signs from the previous season because she claims she was a model for the company and wanted a copy of "her" pic for her book. So my question is, when you do a photoshoot for a major company are they required to supply you with a tear sheet for your book or do you have to request one? I hope this is the right forum to ask it in, this would be my first thread. Thank you!

edited to show the sign was in inches, NOT feet, my bad!

Dec 07 06 12:33 am Link

Photographer

Michael Raveney

Miami, Florida, US

all the campaigns I have done the usually get them from head office, or in one case they were in several magazines over a period of time....so the moms bought them all for memories sake....but if they are posters usually they are to expensive to give out...so that is prob why...

Dec 07 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

Len Cook Photographer

Fremont, California, US

Publishers, advertisers, clients of various kinds don't usually require themselves to provide tearsheets in the contracts/releases they use for models.  Lots of models do exactly what you describe to get tearsheets -- they go out and fetch 'em on their own.

Dec 07 06 12:48 am Link

Model

OC Girl

Costa Mesa, California, US

No one is required to give you anything, it's kinda up to you.  If you were in a magazine, it's up to you to buy the magazine.  I've called places continually asking when things hit shelves so I can pick up a copy. 

I see nothing wrong with requesting a copy.  Most people don't mind helping you out.  Sometimes, an ad ends up in a place you can't get it.  I did an ad campaign for a company and a few months later, I emailed the company and art director and asked where I could get a copy.  They were both nice and sent me the picture by email.  It had the graphics and everything on it, but it was the picture itself.  I couldn't print it and put it in my book because it's not a true tear.  Apparently, the ad is in a magazine and program available at pharmaceutical tradeshows.  It's also on a poster they use there.  There's no way I can get it.  So I'm kinda stuck.  But I think most people will do what they can to help out.

Anyway, sorry to go off on a tangent.  I guess my answer is it depends. Some people are nice and will send you copies of things when they come out, some will tell you when and where it's available, and some will send you on your merry way after the shoot.  Before (and after) the shoot, I simply ask how I can get a copy.  You have to remember that on a big shoot, the people shooting might not have anything to do with where the ad ends up.  They might not even know.  So sometimes it takes some asking around.  In the customer's case, something tells me she wasn't able to get a copy for herself and this was sort of like her last chance.

Dec 07 06 12:49 am Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sweet, had my question answered in three post or less, thank you everyone! Unfortunately we had thrown out the pictures from that season and each store is under contract to ensure no one but the company has access to the photos at all or I would have at least tried to help her...however, it's interesting to know that this is how the industry works.

Dec 07 06 01:05 am Link