Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Tips on my retouching

Retoucher

Tim Janssen

Apeldoorn, Gelderland, Netherlands

Hello MM,

I am a student and usually I ask my teachers for tips.
Since it is holiday I am unable to visit him and I hope people here can give me tips.
Any tips are really appreciated.
I am also not fully convinced yet whether I should make it black or white or not.

Thank you all

Sincerely,

Tim

before (color)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170221/03/58ac26a77f2f8.jpg

after (color)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170221/03/58ac26c0ae78b.jpg

After (black&white)
https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170221/03/58ac26b36c20e.jpg

Feb 21 17 03:44 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Color-wise the second version is most eye catching but the legs and the floor really merge. Also the background around the model is blurred on all images and shows visible cloning near the head. So perhaps the best tip is: be careful not to destroy the image, retouch less, look more. And of course - always ask your client about color and look.

Feb 21 17 05:37 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Janssen

Sorry I wasn't really clear with my post. The before (first of three) Is the raw image I got from the client.
My main goal is to keep the soul of the image intact. very little cloning is done on the model itself. The biggest problem indeed lies in the background.
The background was blurred which was an issue and also not in line with the floor.
There were no images taken from a simular angle, therefore I used different layers of High Pass.
Any suggestions on how I can fix this best? I totally agree on the leg part I will take care of this.
I really appreciate your reply thank you for that.

Feb 21 17 06:58 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Tim Janssen wrote:
Sorry I wasn't really clear with my post. The before (first of three) Is the raw image I got from the client.
My main goal is to keep the soul of the image intact. very little cloning is done on the model itself. The biggest problem indeed lies in the background.
The background was blurred which was an issue and also not in line with the floor.
There were no images taken from a simular angle, therefore I used different layers of High Pass.
Any suggestions on how I can fix this best? I totally agree on the leg part I will take care of this.
I really appreciate your reply thank you for that.

Thanks for clarifying.

Well, the image looks strangely out of focus. It seems the focus plane crosses some part of the model but at the same time to upper left corner looks like the sharpest area of the whole image (looking at what you call raw image). This might be a lens issue. There is nothing you can do about it in post. I see you have sharpened the image but this has only made the problem more visible. It is better not to apply any filtering at all or if you can do it well - you can actually blur a little the sharp top left area of the background so that it matches the rest. Right now it is more lit than the face and because it is sharper it catches the eye (at least it caught mine). Maybe you could darken a little the bright area on the left of the model too. In any case - discuss those things with your client. After all the image should be the way they want it.

As for the visible cloning I was referring to this:

https://snag.gy/eId6TG.jpg

Feb 21 17 08:29 am Link

Photographer

Manouska

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

The color retouch is compelling but the cloned area does stand out.

The black and white could use a bit more contrast.

Feb 21 17 11:06 am Link

Retoucher

Tim Janssen

Thank you both for the feedback. I will keep this in mind in future retouches smile
Sometimes a image is just done. I have been working on this one for multiple hours already. I get to a point that I don't see my own mistakes.

Feb 21 17 11:54 am Link