Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Retouching with LUTs

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

After a recent discussion I have been getting quite a few questions about working with LUTs, so I decided to sort out the answers in a short article:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/anchevne … 0927891898

If anyone has additional questions feel free to ask.

Feb 07 17 10:41 am Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

thanks for the informative write up in FB. I bought 3Dlut when it first came out from Oleg but did not use it as I find the tutorials a bit hard to comprehend and more structured to videos. I do occasionally use the color lookup adjustment and then adjust it's opacity as a starting point.

Feb 07 17 06:06 pm Link

Retoucher

woofw wrote:
thanks for the informative write up in FB. I bought 3Dlut when it first came out from Oleg but did not use it as I find the tutorials a bit hard to comprehend and more structured to videos.

They are not video oriented but the very subject of twisting and shaping the 3D color space is not really simple to put into words. I also feel a big difficulty in explaining the whole matter, especially when people are so used to tools which really don't need any understanding of color space. We should thank Adobe for making more and more people just operators of "smart" tools.

Feb 08 17 02:26 am Link

Retoucher

Benski

London, England, United Kingdom

I think would be great if Photoshop started building more tools with a LUT-editor-esque back-end.

Imagine being able to click on the red of a dress, and simply drag up/down/left/right to perfectly cleanly remap Hue/Saturation at the level of the colour space. Or being able to click on skin, and have a simple Uniformity slider.

Feb 08 17 09:05 am Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

Benski wrote:
I think would be great if Photoshop started building more tools with a LUT-editor-esque back-end.

Imagine being able to click on the red of a dress, and simply drag up/down/left/right to perfectly cleanly remap Hue/Saturation at the level of the colour space. Or being able to click on skin, and have a simple Uniformity slider.

Be awesome

Feb 08 17 09:47 am Link

Photographer

TMA Photo and Training

Lancaster, Pennsylvania, US

Thanks George for the effort and info.   Nice work.   We all need more education and orientation to this
"newer to photography" tool. 

LUT's have long been widely used in the video and most of the TV and movies we look at today.

How to use  "Color Look Up Tables"  effectively in Photoshop and photography is certainly a new craft for many of us. 
I agree with the poster above that Adobe could create and promote some additional LUT creation and manipulation tools within Photoshop.  Its an area that would show that they continue to enhance and create new value in the updates that Photoshop is supposed to provide on an ongoing basis. 
As a retoucher and trainer...  there hasnt been too much NEW in terms of updates to Photoshop that really adds a lot of value to our "retouching type of work".  This LUT technology may be a nice future tool from Photoshop that we could strongly use in our own still color manipulation work... like with hair coloring, skin toning and harmonization, makeup application, fashion color, mood creation, and attractive and highly artistic editorial looks. Bring it on!

So, for me... go ahead and break my head with new tools and capabilities...  and new things to learn that are relevant to what we do.  It is admittedly a tough study though... but one that looks to be very visually powerful for all of us still life colorists.

Feb 08 17 10:26 am Link

Retoucher

Benski

Film colour grading is where I've used LUTs, but in film they're usually just used to match camera footage from two different sources, or turn a complex colour process into a simple file you can pop in a camera and see how your grading's going to look.

Creative colour work's still done with colour wheels/curves and mask-based selective processes.

I'd actually hope someone other than Photoshop implements these kinds of tools, as I refuse to start paying a subscription to Adobe .. Just bought Clip Studio Paint the other day ($50 line/vector-based painting tool used by most the Japanese manga industry) and it's such a great piece of software .. What it does, it does 1000x better than Photoshop .. I think there's a lot of room for someone to come along and usurp the big guys.

Feb 08 17 11:59 am Link

Retoucher

Benski wrote:
Creative colour work's still done with colour wheels/curves and mask-based selective processes.

Everyone is free to do whatever one likes. Personally I like optimized and flexible workflows and I don't see anything creative in using 20 layers and 1-2GB files when the exact same thing can be done with 2 layers. It's a waste of time and resources.

Feb 09 17 12:24 am Link

Photographer

Mouricz

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, Canada

If I put the LUT "Retouching-with-luts-1-prophoto" in Luminosity mode, it's perfect.
Thanks

Feb 09 17 08:27 pm Link

Retoucher

Mouricz wrote:
If I put the LUT "Retouching-with-luts-1-prophoto" in Luminosity mode, it's perfect.

It may produce a certain effect which you like for a particular image but the right thing to do is to use LUTs in normal mode.

Feb 10 17 12:15 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

It's a faster way to do do overall adjustments. It doesn't replace masking, it doesn't replace clean up and it doesn't replace DNB. So, is it really that faster for an experienced retoucher? No.

Feb 10 17 06:06 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan wrote:
It's a faster way to do do overall adjustments. It doesn't replace masking, it doesn't replace clean up and it doesn't replace DNB. So, is it really that faster for an experienced retoucher? No.

Nobody claims LUTs are a replacement for local adjustments or that it will make this part of the workflow magically faster. Read the first sentence and the last paragraph of the article.

However they can help you to work faster as a well because of the improved overall efficiency as explained. I don't know what you mean by "that faster" but it is significantly lighter and easier to work with a file with 3 layers without masks than with a file with 30 layers with masks.

Feb 10 17 06:26 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan

Belgrade, Central Serbia, Serbia

anchev wrote:

Nobody claims LUTs are a replacement for local adjustments or that it will make this part of the workflow magically faster. Read the first sentence and the last paragraph of the article.

However they can help you to work faster as a whle because of the improved overall efficiency as explained. I don't know what you mean by "that faster" but it is significantly lighter and easier to work with a file with 3 layers without masks than with a file with 30 layers with masks.

Show me a workflow of 3 layers with no masks that can be applied on any image? You can't work on a professional level without masks. DNB using curves is essentially masking.

Feb 10 17 09:58 am Link

Retoucher

2thestudio - Ivan wrote:
Show me a workflow of 3 layers with no masks that can be applied on any image? You can't work on a professional level without masks. DNB using curves is essentially masking.

My working files are 2-4 layers maximum and I don't keep any masks. I cannot "show you" a workflow here because many years of work and optimization cannot be summarized in a forum post. Plus it will be 1) off-topic and 2) would raise many additional questions which would need 150 pages if I need to answer them. So let's leave this for another time.

Feb 10 17 11:20 am Link

Photographer

Tulack

Albuquerque, New Mexico, US

2thestudio - Ivan wrote:

It does replace masking. LUT masking is much cleaner and faster. And it can mask things PS can't even get close.

Feb 10 17 03:50 pm Link

Retoucher

Tulack wrote:
It does replace masking. LUT masking is much cleaner and faster. And it can mask things PS can't even get close.

Yes but only if the masking can be related to the image data itself, i.e. if the mask value is a function of the RGB values in the image. For that LUTs are more powerful than masks created through selections. However a LUT cannot create a mask which is created as a selection independent of image data. It is simply not aimed to do that.

Feb 10 17 04:07 pm Link

Retoucher

Benski

anchev wrote:

Everyone is free to do whatever one likes. Personally I like optimized and flexible workflows and I don't see anything creative in using 20 layers and 1-2GB files when the exact same thing can be done with 2 layers. It's a waste of time and resources.

I mean in a colour-grading suite .. If you've got a director telling you 'Take the magenta out of the skintones', 'Make the light in the door yellow', it's very quick with selections and colour-wheels, and more intuitive (especially working with other people) than a spiderweb of colour remapping points.

And layers can be useful, when you're making 20 different adjustments, being able to toggle or mix things in and out.. I've seen a Youtube video of someone working like that with 3DLUT Generator/Creator, and they did use a lot of layers.

I'm interested in LUTs as creative grading tools.. But then when you use things like Davinci Resolve, there is a very similar level of flexibility, in being able to isolate ranges of colours by Hue/Sat/Lightness, and shift or remap them.. It's really Photoshop that's been oddly lacking there (the HSL tool doesn't really do it very cleanly).

Feb 12 17 09:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Benski wrote:
I mean in a colour-grading suite .. If you've got a director telling you 'Take the magenta out of the skintones', 'Make the light in the door yellow', it's very quick with selections and colour-wheels, and more intuitive (especially working with other people) than a spiderweb of colour remapping points.

And layers can be useful, when you're making 20 different adjustments, being able to toggle or mix things in and out.. I've seen a Youtube video of someone working like that with 3DLUT Generator/Creator, and they did use a lot of layers.

I'm interested in LUTs as creative grading tools.. But then when you use things like Davinci Resolve, there is a very similar level of flexibility, in being able to isolate ranges of colours by Hue/Sat/Lightness, and shift or remap them.. It's really Photoshop that's been oddly lacking there (the HSL tool doesn't really do it very cleanly).

I am not sure what you are comparing or objecting to, on what basis and for what purpose. You are talking about creative color work implying that using particular tools is the way to it. Now you are backing this up with speed, intuition, directors, team work.

It is quite detrimental to any discussion to add connotations just to make one particular thing sound paramount and decry another. This can only over complicate it, make it go in all kinds of off-topic directions like we have seen before and in the end the whole thing can easily turn into a meaningless argument clinic. So I would like to suggest, if I may: let's be clear when we discuss things and let's not dilute them with various verbal decorations however nice sounding that may be. We really don't need to start another endless off-topic discussion about what is creative, how one does business, what is it to work in a team etc. As noted I have just shared some info because people asked. As mentioned in the very beginning of the article this is not a recipe. One is free to use or ignore that info, use whatever tools one likes etc.

For me things are really very simple: there is color. You are not creating anything, you are manipulating what is already there. Personally I don't use YouTube to check if I am using the number or type of layers which another one uses. I just don't see why I should work like another. One may be used to a particular way just because for many years there have been no other ways. But quick association and repetition is not intuition. It is past knowledge, maybe even laziness to explore into new ways. Surely it is not recommended to do anything without understanding it fully. Also the tools mentioned in the article are not a recommendation. So of course - if you want to work 20 layers to make adjustments, I don't see anyone stopping you. But let's leave room for others to explore for themselves.

Feb 13 17 01:56 am Link