Forums > General Industry > Don't assume I need to shoot nudes.........

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, US

Barry Thoms wrote:
Whats the problem here. The girl saw nude images and said she was not up for that. She did not state that you only shoot nudes or that she thought that was the only thing you did.

Give the girls a break, they are asked so often about nudes they think that they have to clarify. Just say thank you for pointing that out and discuss the shoot.

cheers

Barry

Actually it was the "maybe we are not the best matchup" line that threw me. Like another poster said....why would someone contact *me* and then say *we are not the best matchup* If that's the case, why contact me in the first place. Anyway......I just find it odd...if you do not find it odd....it just makes us different....that's all

Dec 07 06 12:04 am Link

Photographer

Scott O Bryan Photo

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Kenzphotos wrote:
So Barry,

In the interest of saving time, (and possibly some embarrasment) what do you think about my idea of making it manditory to fill in blanks in the MM bio section of each profile, regarding what a Model will or will not do (in the way of posing - same for Photograhers and what they will or will not shoot)???

Although most of the people I shoot  don't come from here I still  I like that idea a lot I think OMP used to have that search feature when I used to be on there

Dec 07 06 12:09 am Link

Photographer

Kenzphotos

Anaheim, California, US

Thanks Bryan,

I see what this thread is about and I am interested in saving time and eliminating drama.  That would leave more valuable time for ALL of us to do what we are passionate about - and that is shooting.

Dec 07 06 12:11 am Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Pregnant Model Project wrote:
Everyone think's I just shoot Pregnant! . . .  NO!  . . . Really!

i wonder why wink

Dec 07 06 12:13 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

I don't need to shoot nudes.
But I do enjoy it.

Dec 07 06 12:32 am Link

Photographer

Scott O Bryan Photo

Annapolis, Maryland, US

Kenzphotos wrote:
Thanks Bryan,

I see what this thread is about and I am interested in saving time and eliminating drama.  That would leave more valuable time for ALL of us to do what we are passionate about - and that is shooting.

EXACTLY

With the exception of a couple, the girls in my port are not models…they all have jobs unrelated, and are people I saw something in, and ask to photograph, them For me   I just want to make good work clothed or not. Like I tell people I've seen more naked chicks and craziness working at the nightclub I work at part time  then I ever will shooting portraits but then I get “well I don’t think I could pose like that LOL

Dec 07 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Los Angeles, California, US

Thomas B wrote:
I know this has been talked about before but who cares....so has everything else smile
I just received a message from a model (she contacted me.....I had never even message her before) Here is what she wrote:
"I am in love with your work and would love to work with you while I am in Las Vegas. The only problem I have is I do not shoot nudes and I see you have a lot of them in your portfolio. So maybe we are not the best match up. If you can do a shoot without me taking my clothes off I would love to set something up"
There was some more stuff in there but you get the point.
Just because I have shot nudes does not mean I have to shoot them with you. In fact, I only have one 18+ image in my portfolio. I also have a headshot with a model in a turtleneck......I don't have to shoot those either. I like to see my portfolio as a big example of what I can do. I have everything in there from an 18+ fine art nude to as clothed as you can get. I have casual, lingerie, fashion, headshots and everything else I can think to shoot.
I just had to vent a little.........not really looking for any advice but feel free to speak your mind if you want.

I looked at your port and honestly to me its really diverse (and amazing! Great pics..!) and it doesnt imply that you can ONLY do nudes, you're skilled at them as well as other things...to be real with you though, a lot of times when a photographer contacts me I put it out there in the beginning that I am not looking to do nudes just because of bad experiences I have had in the past. One photographer wanted me to shoot some nude stuff, full frontal and everything, and that just wasnt in my comfort zone, especially the way he demanded it, he ended up calling me childish because I wouldnt take off my underwear etc in front of him, and insulting my work wthic etc, etc...Needless to say it was a terrible shoot, and I've had similar things happen where the photographer just wanted to get me out of my clothes. Maybe they needed it for their port or something, but it wasnt what I was going for at all. So now just as a precaution and to avoid problems during shooting I usually state that I dont want to shoot any nudes (I dont, however, consider an implied a nude shot). But yeah, anyway I dont think she did it to offend you, or presumed that all you can shoot are nudes, she may have had some bad experiences too, or wants to avoid some uncomfortable situations..

Dec 07 06 12:43 am Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Alix Andrea wrote:

I looked at your port and honestly to me its really diverse (and amazing! Great pics..!) and it doesnt imply that you can ONLY do nudes, you're skilled at them as well as other things...to be real with you though, a lot of times when a photographer contacts me I put it out there in the beginning that I am not looking to do nudes just because of bad experiences I have had in the past. One photographer wanted me to shoot some nude stuff, full frontal and everything, and that just wasnt in my comfort zone, especially the way he demanded it, he ended up calling me childish because I wouldnt take off my underwear etc in front of him, and insulting my work wthic etc, etc...Needless to say it was a terrible shoot, and I've had similar things happen where the photographer just wanted to get me out of my clothes. Maybe they needed it for their port or something, but it wasnt what I was going for at all. So now just as a precaution and to avoid problems during shooting I usually state that I dont want to shoot any nudes (I dont, however, consider an implied a nude shot). But yeah, anyway I dont think she did it to offend you, or presumed that all you can shoot are nudes, she may have had some bad experiences too, or wants to avoid some uncomfortable situations..

First let me say thank you so much for the great compliemt smile As for what you said.....I totally get it. I would never have a problem with a model telling me she was ot into shooting nudes. I would say no worries. The weird part for me was that she contacted me and then said we were not a good match (why even contact me....ya know). I know I should not let that kind of stuff get to me.....actually it only lasted a second.....but before that second was up I vented on here....lol But then there was a model who posted on here saying that my portfolios howe I really only shoot nudes....so it made me start second guessing my portfolio. I want to show people that I can shoot whatever they want. I do not want to be tied down to one thing. I want to do it all. so it makes me feel better that other people like yourself can see that I shoot more than one thing.
Thanks again for the words smile
Thomas
PS....That really sucks about your bad experience.......those kind of people do not belong in this business. but unfortunatley they will always be there sad

Dec 07 06 12:50 am Link

Photographer

QuaeVide

Pacifica, California, US

"I won't do nude, but I don't mind showing a little ass. As long as it is tasteful."
'Nuff said.

Dec 07 06 12:56 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Well, number one you're more than likely dealing with web models, or maybe amateur/beginners.  This taken into account you realize they may not have been exposed to the professional world of photography and modeling, and have only dealt with web photographers. 

It's a shame people are that bold to assume much, but alas, it's part of the internet.  People think that because they have done some photo shoots they are models, and some think because they own a camera and have shot a few "models" they are photographers. 

It's all about assumptions and lack of understanding, IMHO. 

Thomas B wrote:
I know this has been talked about before but who cares....so has everything else smile
I just received a message from a model (she contacted me.....I had never even message her before) Here is what she wrote:
"I am in love with your work and would love to work with you while I am in Las Vegas. The only problem I have is I do not shoot nudes and I see you have a lot of them in your portfolio. So maybe we are not the best match up. If you can do a shoot without me taking my clothes off I would love to set something up"
There was some more stuff in there but you get the point.
Just because I have shot nudes does not mean I have to shoot them with you. In fact, I only have one 18+ image in my portfolio. I also have a headshot with a model in a turtleneck......I don't have to shoot those either. I like to see my portfolio as a big example of what I can do. I have everything in there from an 18+ fine art nude to as clothed as you can get. I have casual, lingerie, fashion, headshots and everything else I can think to shoot.
I just had to vent a little.........not really looking for any advice but feel free to speak your mind if you want.

Dec 07 06 01:00 am Link

Makeup Artist

LisaJohnson

Nashville, Tennessee, US

Bingo.  This is the problem with the industry NOW.  I believe it to be a fad that's NOT going away anytime soon. 

Wicked Illusion wrote:
Amost every email from a model starts off "I like what you do but I do not do nudes."  Its just that every GWC has hit up every fem here to see them naked for a few pics with a camera they just got at target...

Dec 07 06 01:12 am Link

Model

Alix Andrea

Thomas B wrote:

First let me say thank you so much for the great compliemt smile As for what you said.....I totally get it. I would never have a problem with a model telling me she was ot into shooting nudes. I would say no worries. The weird part for me was that she contacted me and then said we were not a good match (why even contact me....ya know). I know I should not let that kind of stuff get to me.....actually it only lasted a second.....but before that second was up I vented on here....lol But then there was a model who posted on here saying that my portfolios howe I really only shoot nudes....so it made me start second guessing my portfolio. I want to show people that I can shoot whatever they want. I do not want to be tied down to one thing. I want to do it all. so it makes me feel better that other people like yourself can see that I shoot more than one thing.
Thanks again for the words smile
Thomas
PS....That really sucks about your bad experience.......those kind of people do not belong in this business. but unfortunatley they will always be there sad

Ooh thats right, I didnt  catch that at first, yes that is pretty rude to say "we arent the est match" when you are the one to initally contact someone. And you better not second guess your port! Im serious! its hot wink Oh and thanks, as for my bad experiences...I learned from 'em, like I say in my profile, for each and every shoot I do I learn something new from it, whether it be a good or bad shoot.

Dec 07 06 01:30 am Link

Model

Alix Andrea

QuaeVide wrote:
"I won't do nude, but I don't mind showing a little ass. As long as it is tasteful."
'Nuff said.

Haha, you are so right.

Dec 07 06 01:30 am Link

Photographer

studio36uk

Tavai, Sigave, Wallis and Futuna

Dear model.......

Thank you for your e-mail and your interest in my work. But I am curious about something... I shoot nudes and you won't do nudes. So you are writing to me exactly... why???

I. M. Snapper,
photographe de nudité fine d'art

Dec 07 06 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Creative Image

Avon, Connecticut, US

1. People make assumptions when they don't know the facts.

2. There should be agreement before a shoot as to what is going to happen,     
    especially about nudity.

So, this is part of my invite message, as well as my response to messages indicating a desire to shoot with me:

"You will see some nudes among my images; whether or not there are nudes in a shoot is completely up to the model.  We will agree about that in advance and we never pressure."

If I want to photograph someone and they don't want to do nudes, I still want to shoot, so this wording has worked for me.

Ron

Dec 07 06 02:16 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Thomas B wrote:

Actually it was the "maybe we are not the best matchup" line that threw me. Like another poster said....why would someone contact *me* and then say *we are not the best matchup* If that's the case, why contact me in the first place. Anyway......I just find it odd...if you do not find it odd....it just makes us different....that's all

I find that very odd.  As if she was typing out her inner monologue while looking at your portfolio. 

"Hhmmm, this looks nice.  Maybe he would want to work with me....but, wait...OH NO...I don't shoot nudes and he does.  Maybe we're not the best match."  "Wait a minute....did i just say that out loud?  Did anyone hear that just now?  No?  Okay, whew..we're good."

Seriously, though.  PLEASE don't second guess your port.  It is positively lovely and I, personally, would be very sad to see it change.

This does remind me of the email I got telling me that if I wanted to be a 'real' model I needed to keep my clothes on and leave more to the imagination.  Unless I wanted to the 'THAT' kind of a model.  This reproach because of the whopping 3 out of 20 nude images in my port.  hmm

Dec 07 06 03:33 pm Link

Photographer

Luminos

Columbia, Maryland, US

KatieK wrote:
This does remind me of the email I got telling me that if I wanted to be a 'real' model I needed to keep my clothes on and leave more to the imagination.  Unless I wanted to the 'THAT' kind of a model.  This reproach because of the whopping 3 out of 20 nude images in my port.  hmm

Had you had no nudes in your folio, you would have gotten nutcases from the other side of the table messaging you that you have to do nude to be a "real model".

You can't please everyone.

Dec 07 06 03:39 pm Link

Model

KatieK

Lawrence, Kansas, US

Luminos wrote:

Had you had no nudes in your folio, you would have gotten nutcases from the other side of the table messaging you that you have to do nude to be a "real model".

You can't please everyone.

SO true.  Lately (from looking at the forums) it seems like you can't please ANYone.

Dec 07 06 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

KatieK wrote:

I find that very odd.  As if she was typing out her inner monologue while looking at your portfolio. 

"Hhmmm, this looks nice.  Maybe he would want to work with me....but, wait...OH NO...I don't shoot nudes and he does.  Maybe we're not the best match."  "Wait a minute....did i just say that out loud?  Did anyone hear that just now?  No?  Okay, whew..we're good."

Seriously, though.  PLEASE don't second guess your port.  It is positively lovely and I, personally, would be very sad to see it change.

I liked your inner conversation....lol I could see that happening in my head...haha
Yes...it's the same thing for you as a model. I love when people tell models they will never be real models if they pose nude. Give me a break. If you are fine posing nude, in lingerie, in fashion, in swimwear...they should all be in your portfolio. It shows what you can do and how you look in all of them. that's my opinion anyway. Now if a model only wants to do fashion and used to shoot nudes....then taking the nudes out of the portfolio makes sense. Your portfolio should reflect what you do now. Not what you used to do. If I wanted to start shooting swimwear exclusivley....I would get rid of everything in my portfolio and start over (since I do not have any swimwear in my port...lol)

Dec 07 06 03:43 pm Link

Photographer

Mickle Design Werks

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Ransom J wrote:
[i]f that's all a model keys in on then i let her know that we aren't a good match just as she said.  Just because I shoot nudes or topless doesn't mean i'll MAKE you shoot them too, and if that's your ONLY concern when setting up a shoot with me then from jumpstreet your attitude is NOT one that is conducive to creating good images and I'd much rather not work with you.

Sum up my view....

If they get all worked up over nudes in my port then we have a fundamental mis-match of artistic vision. I have a lot in my port to SCARE away this from me.  The last thing I want to shoot is an uncomfortable and ackward model. I have enough of that with my clients and certainly don't want to deal with it with my personal work.

Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how I would MAKE someone do nude work. Well make them so it without resorting to something that would put me in jail. Besides who would want to shoot a model that's being manipulated to do nudes.  Why would you have to resort to that?  If I want to shoot nudes, I shoot them with models that want to do that work. Real simple.

I love reading profiles that tell me exactly what the model is interested in shooting or willing to shoot instead of the open ended "anything but nudes" bullshit.

Dec 07 06 04:41 pm Link

Photographer

jack4photos

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, US

Mickle Design Werks wrote:

Sum up my view....

If they get all worked up over nudes in my port then we have a fundamental mis-match of artistic vision. I have a lot in my port to SCARE away this from me.  The last thing I want to shoot is an uncomfortable and ackward model. I have enough of that with my clients and certainly don't want to deal with it with my personal work.

Plus, I'm still trying to figure out how I would MAKE someone do nude work. Well make them so it without resorting to something that would put me in jail. Besides who would want to shoot a model that's being manipulated to do nudes.  Why would you have to resort to that?  If I want to shoot nudes, I shoot them with models that want to do that work. Real simple.

I love reading profiles that tell me exactly what the model is interested in shooting or willing to shoot instead of the open ended "anything but nudes" bullshit.

EXACTLY!

I just had to say that I could not agree more.

Jack

Dec 07 06 04:50 pm Link

Model

trish

thomas..... stop trying to deny your inner voyeur!!!!  here, lemme get naked, you grab your camera and let's make some fuckin art!

anyone can look at your port and see that you have an eye for EVERYTHING.... not only boobies.  if a perspective model doesn't see that in your work, it's just someone you shouldn't worry about collaborating with.  no harm, no foul.

you're just too good at what you do..... how can that be bad!?!?!?!

xox!

Dec 07 06 05:58 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

trish wrote:
thomas..... stop trying to deny your inner voyeur!!!!  here, lemme get naked, you grab your camera and let's make some fuckin art!

anyone can look at your port and see that you have an eye for EVERYTHING.... not only boobies.  if a perspective model doesn't see that in your work, it's just someone you shouldn't worry about collaborating with.  no harm, no foul.

you're just too good at what you do..... how can that be bad!?!?!?!

xox!

You are the best! I have always been a fan of yours.......and you better watch it when you tell me to grab my camera....I will be in la quicker than you blink to work with you smile

Dec 07 06 06:02 pm Link

Model

Zimat

Fairfax, California, US

I think everyone should get nekkid!
(Okay, not really.)  I think this type of situation can be diffused by a short note in your bio describing what you are looking for in a model.

Dec 08 06 02:55 am Link

Photographer

Vector 38

Austin, Texas, US

ThomasB wrote:
Just because I have shot nudes does not mean I have to shoot them with you.

old saying Thomas, "only show samples (port) of the kind of work you'd like to get more of" ...

applies, in the general sense, but then turns right around on some of us if we try to show anything else we've done along the way.

guess some viewing our Book will make some subconscious application (generalization?!?) of that rule to what might be our intentions?

F

Dec 08 06 03:03 am Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

I agree with Mickie, except that I don't have the nudity I do to scare people off. It's just that I tried to show a range that's representative of the work that I do with models. If a model is going to focus on just a few particular types of photos and say, "Oh, he does that, and I don't want to, so he's out," I can't help that. She's inaccurate in her assessment that I would necessarily want her to do any particular thing, but inaccuracies are a part of life, and we'll all just move on.

The type of work that I do generally doesn't call out to models anyway. I'm always pleased on the occasions when I do get an inquiry that someone wants to work with me.

Dec 08 06 09:37 am Link

Photographer

Paul C

San Antonio, Texas, US

What is wrong with shooting nudes?? I can't believe how many times I hear this talked about on here. Sure, yeah, there are a lot of pervs in this industry... BUT at the same time ladies if you wouldn't like to shoot nude, at least once, then you are a rare breed. I haven't met many women, girlfriends included, who wouldn't want a nude picture of themselves.

Dec 09 06 05:27 pm Link

Photographer

M Pandolfo Photography

Tampa, Florida, US

I get just the opposite. I hear, "you don't have any nudes in your portfolio. Why are you making me take my clothes off?" I just don't get it. Don't they know I keep those for my own viewing pleasure? Hey wait, where is GWC when you need him? smile

Dec 09 06 05:30 pm Link

Photographer

Miles Chandler

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Well,not to be difficult, but when I look at your 3 pages, I don't see a wide range- I see a lot of lingerie and implied nudity. However you do the math, the overwhelming impression is of women half-clothed or undressing. Pg 1: 13 out of 20 are in lingerie or half-nude. Pg 2: 12 out of 20, pg 3: 13 out of 20.
Not that it isn't good work, but it has strong erotic overtones- and it's all studio/interior space, which may add to the impression (do you ever shoot outdoors?).
So I'm really not sure why you're surprised. It's nice work, but aside from headshots, it's mostly half-clothed and implied nudes.

Dec 09 06 06:21 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Im actually guilty of doing that.Not if they have like a few, or some implied,but if I see their avatar,think it's great and then see that the rest of their port are a bunch of raunchy nudes and just forget about them all together.As a photographer, you need to have a wide range of stuff if you're not a specialty photographer.Otherwise, you'll go to a port and see a bunch of stuff that will throw model's opinions off track about you in general.Having one or two tasteful art nudes is cool,but dont drowned your port in it.

Dec 09 06 06:27 pm Link

Photographer

TBJ Imaging

Miles Chandler wrote:
Well,not to be difficult, but when I look at your 3 pages, I don't see a wide range- I see a lot of lingerie and implied nudity. However you do the math, the overwhelming impression is of women half-clothed or undressing. Pg 1: 13 out of 20 are in lingerie or half-nude. Pg 2: 12 out of 20, pg 3: 13 out of 20.
Not that it isn't good work, but it has strong erotic overtones- and it's all studio/interior space, which may add to the impression (do you ever shoot outdoors?).
So I'm really not sure why you're surprised. It's nice work, but aside from headshots, it's mostly half-clothed and implied nudes.

I did not know people looked at lingerie (not see thru) as partial nudity. I guess swimwear would be considered partial nudity? Oh well.....I was just venting when I posted my thread.....I should have known I would get a lot of people saying my portfolio was all the same thing. I really feel that I have a variety so I will just keep doing what I do. If I miss afew jobs because of it....at least I am doing what makes me happy. Anyone who passes on working with me because I have sexy shots in my portfolio.....well...it's their loss.
Happy Holidays to everyone on MM
Thomas

Dec 09 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

BlackWatch

Cleveland, Ohio, US

I can't even begin to imagine how many "nude" requests the models on here get.

Dec 09 06 06:34 pm Link

Photographer

Habenero Photography

Mesa, Arizona, US

The nudes in my port are there to advertise the kind of work I prefer to do with models.  I don't make shooting nude a requirement, but it is a preference.

Dec 09 06 07:14 pm Link

Model

Vera van Munster

Belmont, North Carolina, US

Thomas B wrote:

I did not know people looked at lingerie (not see thru) as partial nudity. I guess swimwear would be considered partial nudity? Oh well.....I was just venting when I posted my thread.....I should have known I would get a lot of people saying my portfolio was all the same thing. I really feel that I have a variety so I will just keep doing what I do. If I miss afew jobs because of it....at least I am doing what makes me happy. Anyone who passes on working with me because I have sexy shots in my portfolio.....well...it's their loss.
Happy Holidays to everyone on MM
Thomas

Lingerie as partial nudity? Well I guess it depends on the lingerie.I just ordered a retro girlde and matching bullet bra in a great pinkish rose color and it covers more than a one piece bathing suit;now that's not implied nude to me.

Dec 09 06 07:27 pm Link