Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > BLUR or Portraiture plug-in for skin retouching

Retoucher

Emillio

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Hello,
i posted this topic several months ago, but it didn't catch any attention, so i hope this time we will have some good talk about it. I really cannot and refuse to belive, that retouchers still use direct bulr or Potraiture plug-in to retouch skin. Am i the only one who dislike most the effect they came across? Retouching a picture means to adjust it pixels, not to replace them. I know that 1-2 hours is a lot for some. I personally retouch a picture for about 3 hours, sometimes i do it 2 days, because i leave it, so my eyes and mind would rest. Serioulsy guys, retouching changed for the last 4-5 years. A lot of good video tutorials are now available, most of them for intermediate or higher level. I think that using direct BLUR or using Portraiture is disrespectful to your own work, no matter how much money have you dealed for an image. Thanks.

Jan 03 17 08:16 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

Okay let me hit the ball first.
I completely agree blurring your image creates that Plastic look. I personally do not like.
I always prefer to use DNB in 50% grey layer. However, in my workflow FS also plays a major role.
couple of occasions I used Portraiture and I never liked that look. However, if you leave it Default settings and adjust the opacity of that layer to taste some time it works.

The main objective of retouching is retaining / enhancing skin textures. Hope I am correct?
Love to hear more from the experts.

Love . Ram

Jan 03 17 11:07 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

I'll use/do whatever it takes to get that look/effect/result.

Jan 04 17 01:37 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

Hello Ram, thanks for the reply. I also use FS, very rare lately. Of course, i used Portraiture for some time, but i never get to put the right adjustments, so i would like the result.
The main objective of retouching is in the photographer's mind mainly. If he/she knows what the final image would look like, then we have a Main objective. We, retouchers, are creating and achieving this main objective. But i really do not know Why in 2017, 21 century, retouchers still use direct (i repeat - direct) blur or Portraiture when retouching, especially skin.
My retouch flow is 90% DB, then color adjustments.
An image consist of 3 main features - Hue, Saturation and Luminosity. I begin from Luminosity adjustments, then i perform Hue and Saturation retouching.
Final touches with liquify.

Thanks
Emilio

Jan 04 17 06:49 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

Chuckarelei wrote:
I'll use/do whatever it takes to get that look/effect/result.

Do you think that direct Blur or using Portraiture is a part of what it takes to get that loos/effect/result?

Thanks
Emilio

Jan 04 17 06:50 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Emillio wrote:

Do you think that direct Blur or using Portraiture is a part of what it takes to get that loos/effect/result?

Thanks
Emilio

I'll jump in here. That Portraitpro (or whatever the hell it's called) is a pile of crap, designed for lazy people who really don't care about how the finished image looks. Similarly, just blurring everything out is equally as hideous!

Retouching images takes time, and a great deal of effort and much like you I often spend at least 2-3hrs per image, sometimes days!

Jan 04 17 07:37 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

Well, HELLO finally! I began to think i am the only one who dislikes and does not understand this shit smile

L o n d o n   F o g wrote:

I'll jump in here. That Portraitpro (or whatever the hell it's called) is a pile of crap, designed for lazy people who really don't care about how the finished image looks. Similarly, just blurring everything out is equally as hideous!

Retouching images takes time, and a great deal of effort and much like you I often spend at least 2-3hrs per image, sometimes days!

Jan 04 17 08:55 am Link

Retoucher

Pall Kris Design

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

99% of the time I don't use blur or other plugins because I don't like these effects in my portfolio. Manual work produces the best results for skin, in my opinion.

However I've used blur and filters in the past when the clients asked or for low budget jobs, and still use blur when a client asks for that. I can't just ignore a client request.

One time, after I''ve worked 3-4 hours on a cover for a website, the client asked me to apply one more filter and we would be done. Guess what was that filter? STRAIGHT BLUR all the photo. So I did. Client was happy. Sometimes I try to convince clients not to ruin their photos but sometimes I just don't have the energy to do this. And I'm also thinking how bad is that request. Blur is not good or bad from an artistic point of view, it's just an effect. I don't like blur but if someone wants it, probably the professional way to handle this is just to recommend not to do that but respect the client's decision.

Jan 04 17 09:41 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

Okay again its me. PortraitPro or Portrait Studio.... I have tried it gives me a well toasted bread look, if you see 100% zoom. Either its so plasticky or the skin are just toasted.

Always my workflow, 1) Raw Conversion 1a) Liquify 2) Healing & Close Stamp 3) Dodge & Burn on 50% grey for contouring 4) Dodge & Burn Curve setup for global / micro level adjustment 5) Color Balance, Chanel Mixer, Selective Color & Curve Adjustments for Color & Contrast. Finally output sharpening. At times I use NIK Software for colorgrading etc,

Hope this helps. Blurring directly on the face is like vomiting.... lolz

Jan 09 17 02:53 am Link

Photographer

Chester Nguyen

Hà Nội, Đồng bằng sông Hồng, Vietnam

Portraiture is better than blur filters. You have slides to adjust, and well, opacity to take care. It also depends on client's requirements, and final usage (web or print)
Ofc, i'd agree to go manual for like 90%, but i'll normally use Portraiture for a base preparation for more effective D&B
What i do is: Using Frequency Separation technique, with Portraiture filter on the "Low" layers. This way you can have better control on luminosity/color blur. After using portraiture on the "low" layer, i keep working on the blank layer on top of that portraiture layer, and below "High" layer.

Jan 09 17 03:13 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

Chester Nguyen wrote:
Portraiture is better than blur filters. You have slides to adjust, and well, opacity to take care. It also depends on client's requirements, and final usage (web or print)
Ofc, i'd agree to go manual for like 90%, but i'll normally use Portraiture for a base preparation for more effective D&B
What i do is: Using Frequency Separation technique, with Portraiture filter on the "Low" layers. This way you can have better control on luminosity/color blur. After using portraiture on the "low" layer, i keep working on the blank layer on top of that portraiture layer, and below "High" layer.

Hey this is the goo learning "Using Portraiture on the low layer" thanks for this tips.

Jan 09 17 09:51 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Emillio wrote:
Thanks
Emilio

They are just tools. It's how you use your tools that separates from the masses.

There are many who use softbox for lighting. Why some are so much better than the others?

If you just pull down the menu to select blur or 'portraiture', then you are just like those who plainly place the softbox directly in front of the models.

Jan 10 17 01:29 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

Hello,

Let me jump in.
You say portraiture and Blur but I think Inverted High pass is more popular and always noticeable.
Blur, Inverted High pass and Portraiture are the same. Lazy and amateurish.

Anyway if someone says they are just tools... Yes, they are but not for professional work..

Jan 10 17 06:40 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Aspen Faye wrote:
Hello,

Let me jump in.
You say portraiture and Blur but I think Inverted High pass is more popular and always noticeable.

Anyway if someone says they are just tools... Yes, they are but not for professional work..

What is "professional work"? Who gets to define it? You??

Jan 10 17 10:33 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

Chuckarelei wrote:
What is "professional work"? Who gets to define it? You??

People who have names in this industry!
Check some fashion and beauty magazines and you will see what the Industry standard is. Will you see any blur or portraiture there? NO!

Jan 10 17 05:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Aspen Faye wrote:
Check some fashion and beauty magazines and you will see what the Industry standard is.

Checked:

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/up … ssue_1.jpg

http://www.bhmpics.com/wallpapers/jenni … 52x720.jpg

Will you see any blur or portraiture there? NO!

Actually it's worse:

https://snag.gy/Kbu01S.jpg

I can give many other examples but I just don't have the time, including from those commonly praised names who make the "good tutorials".

The only standard the names are trying to establish is: "be stupid, praise and buy". Unfortunately people's minds are so blurred by that names-business that they rarely even look.

Jan 11 17 12:50 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

anchev wrote:
Checked:

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/up … ssue_1.jpg

http://www.bhmpics.com/wallpapers/jenni … 52x720.jpg

Actually it's worse:

https://snag.gy/Kbu01S.jpg

I can give many other examples but I just don't have the time, including from those commonly praised names who make the "good tutorials".

The only standard the names are trying to establish is: "be stupid, praise and buy". Unfortunately people's minds are so blurred by that names-business that they rarely even look.

The whole topic is about skin retouching because that's what portraiture does! The name of the topic is also "BLUR or Portraiture plug-in for skin retouching".
What do you wanna prove with your last comment? I still can't see the portraitured skin on your posted example.

Jan 11 17 02:39 am Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Whatever method effect... make the image believable.

Jan 11 17 03:57 am Link

Retoucher

Aspen Faye wrote:
The whole topic is about skin retouching because that's what portraiture does! The name of the topic is also "BLUR or Portraiture plug-in for skin retouching".
What do you wanna prove with your last comment? I still can't see the portraitured skin on your posted example.

It is not important what one says or what one uses but what the result is. You can put the perfect paint on a broken car but it will still be a broken car.

Jan 11 17 08:04 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

OMG!!! see some examples of Sean Archer and Dani Diamond. Archer I think uses lots of color grading, and DNB. Whereas Dani uses FS often with DNB. They both are professionals - at least thats what websites and other forums claims.
I agree, whatever we use the final result should be believable.

Let's make this discussion more productive, if we can post image (our own retouched one) with 1) not using FS 2) Used only DNB... so there may be some learning. What says?

Love. Ram

Jan 11 17 08:32 am Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

Aspen Faye wrote:
Hello,

Let me jump in.

There's no real rules for creating an image, it's whatever works!

Jan 11 17 08:46 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Aspen Faye wrote:

Eh, some of the work out I've seen not using blur or plugins (supposedly) looks just as fake, if not more.  In my eyes, the problem is the over zealous attempt to perfect the skin which results in it looking artificial.  It looks too computer generated.

I think Portraiture gets a bad rap because people blindly use it.  Even the default setting of 20 (out of 40) is too high.  I typically start off at 5, then may lower to 3 or go up to 7.  If I use a higher setting, I'd black mask it and slowly paint in where it's needed as needed.  I still fine tune with d&b and clone/heal as needed.

Jan 11 17 10:14 am Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

Ram Iyer wrote:
Let's make this discussion more productive, if we can post image (our own retouched one) with 1) not using FS 2) Used only DNB... so there may be some learning. What says?

This would be a fun exercise/friendly challenge.  But, I think we'd need someone to donate an image that way the same image can be retouched several ways.

Jan 11 17 10:20 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Aspen Faye wrote:
Check some fashion and beauty magazines and you will see what the Industry standard is. Will you see any blur or portraiture there? NO!

Well, how do you know what they did and/or their work flow? Did they all tell you exactly how they did it? Or you are just guessing base on your own belief? May be they did use blur and 'portraiture', and they are so skilled that you couldn't even tell if it is so. If any, you are just assuming someone just pulls down the filter menu and click the 'ok' button.

Jan 11 17 10:22 am Link

Retoucher

Adriano De Sena

Chuckarelei wrote:
Well, how do you know what they did and/or their work flow? Did they all tell you exactly how they did it? Or you are just guessing base on your own belief? May be they did use blur and 'portraiture', and they are so skilled that you couldn't even tell if it is so. If any, you are just assuming someone just pulls down the filter menu and click the 'ok' button.

Do you wanna say skin retouches on the magazines made by blur and portraiture? lol
You are right! smile Thank you for the enlightenment!

Jan 12 17 01:29 am Link

Retoucher

Aspen Faye wrote:
Do you wanna say skin retouches on the magazines made by blur and portraiture? lol

Filtered skin is all over the magazines. I have already shown you that just because it is a magazine/name it is not a certificate of quality. You may want to search the web before confirming enlightenment. Here are examples of results which look filtered (regardless of whatever technique was used):

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/428827195739319694/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/340232946827664260/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/210332245068672866/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/438115869976930415/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/167125836142016265/

So magazines are not a flawless media. When you start working with clients for bigger publications you will know better what the actual industry standard is and I can assure you it is not always something jaw dropping in terms of quality. My clients send me raw files to redo from scratch just because some of their in-house retouchers fail repeatedly. And sometimes they don't, just because they have a low budget for the project. Remember that magazines, ad agencies and their clients are companies just like others and they try to save on everything. In many cases their retouching teams are managed by someone who is a close relative but not necessarily a retoucher with a good eye.

Quality is not a matter of brand name or of a particular form of publishing.

And btw for all the enthusiasts who think that using D&B is a panacea or a door to heaven: you can get a filtered/unnatural result with it too.

Jan 12 17 02:19 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

https://121clicks.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/sean_archer_01.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/42/82/28/428228dcb4c8620230dd9b1e2bb6db3e.jpg

Sean Archer. Pro Photographer and Retoucher. He claims no FS little DNB and claims he has his own technique of retouching. Any clue? He charges for tutorial. I was thinking to enroll. any advise.

Jan 12 17 03:09 am Link

Retoucher

Ram Iyer

Delhi, Delhi, India

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/170108/04/58723117afd50.jpg
I own copy right of this image. I worked with this model. Here I have done DNB, Clone stamping and one high-pass filter to get texture. Feel free to play, let's see without using FS or so called professional way how we work on this.
Love. Ram

Jan 12 17 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

Chuckarelei wrote:

Aspen Faye wrote:

Where in my posts I said that? I did not say that nor implied that it is the case. All i said was we don't know, it could be either way. You ARE the one who insisted so while you don't have definitive knowledge if it is or not the case.

Enlightenment? Don't you think you are the ridicules one? Talk like you are the expert of the "professional' industry when you don't have a clue on what is and what is not.

Jan 12 17 01:08 pm Link

Photographer

WIP

Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom

Looking at some of the fashion mags the days of the high end retoucher are numbered.

Jan 14 17 06:38 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

Aspen Faye wrote:

Hello,
you are right. But i've seen a lot of magazines, which retouch the cover image in that BULRRY way. Maybe, only the top magazines are those to be mentioned.

Jan 18 17 08:09 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

@anchev
I agree. Can you tell me a name of a photographer/retoucher, whose work you like? I like the the work - both photos and retouch, of Michael Woloszynowicz.

Jan 18 17 08:18 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio wrote:
Maybe, only the top magazines are those to be mentioned.

The examples I showed are top magazines and you can see for yourself what they allow.

Emillio wrote:
Can you tell me a name of a photographer/retoucher, whose work you like?

I like many, I don't have a favorite.

Jan 18 17 09:25 am Link

Retoucher

Emillio

anchev wrote:

Emillio wrote:
Maybe, only the top magazines are those to be mentioned.

The examples I showed are top magazines and you can see for yourself what they allow.

I like many, I don't have a favorite.

The question is wheather is neccessary to have awlays a perfect portrait photo with perfect skin etc. Да уважим и българския език: въпросът е дали е нужно винаги да имаме идеалния портрет с перфектна кожа и тнт.

Jan 18 17 11:30 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Emillio wrote:
Да уважим и българския език: въпросът е дали е нужно винаги да имаме идеалния портрет с перфектна кожа и тнт.

Моят наставник сподели с мен, че ако ръката на графичен артист в видимо по-голям тогава не сте успели ... Аз продължавам да се движи в тази посока, макар че съм се спъна много пъти на моето пътуване ...

"Това каза съвършенство е враг на иновациите" Voltaire

Jan 18 17 12:33 pm Link

Retoucher

Emillio wrote:
The question is wheather is neccessary to have awlays a perfect portrait photo with perfect skin etc.

I think you may be putting a wrong context in the question and a simple yes or no may be a wrong answer. Let me explain:

The root meaning of the word perfect is full, finished. Obviously we need that feeling of completeness, otherwise retouching wouldn't exist. But that doesn't mean we should polish tastelessly all our life. Some images don't need raster level retouching at all because they look full and finished with just global color corrections. Others will never look full regardless of what you do with them. This may be due to poor composition, lighting or all kinds of other factors which just don't play well together. The only way to process them properly is Shift+Del. And there are images which are so bad photographically but you will never delete them because they may be close to your heart for various personal reasons. Of course there are also all the images which will never give the feeling of fullness without good retouching.

So... retouching per se cannot give perfection (fullness). It is just a part of the whole imaging process. All elements should play well together.

Jan 18 17 12:45 pm Link