Forums > General Industry > Models - When did you know?

Photographer

VisualPoet

Washington, District of Columbia, US

A long time ago I was shooting this very beautiful & sexy young model for a clothing designer.  After the shoot she said she wanted to continue shooting because she wanted pictures for her portfolio.  She left the room and came back completely naked and said "make me see what everyone else sees!"  She said that she had always been told that she was beautiful and sexy but when she look in the mirror she just didn't see what the big deal was?

Question:  When do you recognize your talent as a model?  Is it the constant compliments from family and friends?  Is it because you want the attention or is it because deep down inside you know you have the "it" factor?

Your thoughts please

Dec 06 06 04:52 pm Link

Model

jade83

Columbia, Missouri, US

Hmm, I don't know. One of the shots I started out with here was one taken by my fiancee when we were getting ready to go to my sister's high school graduation. I was wearing a shimmery dark aqua spaghetti strap cocktail dress (it looked more like a ballet costume) and I got a comment from a family member (I'll admit it!!) to the effect that I looked gorgeous enough for modeling. Yeah, that did give me ideas.

Dec 06 06 08:45 pm Link

Model

Alli Michelle

Miami, Florida, US

I had always secretly wantedto be a model,but what little girl doesn't.It wasn't until I found OMP off of an alternative model I always liked on myspace.I posted some pics my BF took of me with an old vintage black and white cam his grandfather gave him.He ended up becoming jealous because I used his pictures to show everyone how beautriful I was and he aparently didn't want people to see my beauty.He was crazy.

Dec 06 06 09:04 pm Link

Model

Meagan Colf

Seligman, Missouri, US

Well  hmmmm... I've always loved to be in front of cameras when I was a really little girl and I would strike poses etc... Then I had people asking me if I was a model, and finally I just took a step in the right direction to start getting into this. I do remember telling my mom that I wanted to model from about 11 years on~

Dec 06 06 11:31 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

mrlouis wrote:
A long time ago I was shooting this very beautiful & sexy young model for a clothing designer.  After the shoot she said she wanted to continue shooting because she wanted pictures for her portfolio.  She left the room and came back completely naked and said "make me see what everyone else sees!"  She said that she had always been told that she was beautiful and sexy but when she look in the mirror she just didn't see what the big deal was?

Question:  When do you recognize your talent as a model?  Is it the constant compliments from family and friends?  Is it because you want the attention or is it because deep down inside you know you have the "it" factor?

Your thoughts please

...I still dont see what everyone else sees.
Im definitely not conceited. I think im pretty, but there are a million pretty girls...
And guys will say anything sometimes, so i dont believe much that i hear..
I model because it is fun, and I enjoy it- but i still dont see beautiful.

How did you get her to see what everyone else saw??

Dec 06 06 11:38 pm Link

Model

Lelah G

Inglewood, California, US

Truthfully, I never thought I had what it takes.  My passion has always been singing.  I'm a natural singer, been singing since about age 8, but I've always been shy with my talent, just as I was shy about my body.  And of course school peers don't make things any easier.  I was always the tallest, skinniest, shortest hair, etc.  I'd gotten compliments about my height before, however I would always be asked if I were a basketball player; no one suspected I was actually on Drill Team (yep: a rah-rah, sis-boom-bah, spirit squad girl).  Modeling was never in my focal point . . .

. . . until of course I got older, began wearing heels, and showing a little curvature.  It began the question of whether or not I were a model, a smooth switch from the basketball crap (hell, I'd even been asked if I had my boobs done, lol), yet I was still stuck on singing, but too shy to enter talent shows.  My first fashion show & shoot was in January of last year, and from there, I guess I just grew with it.  I NEVER THOUGHT I HAD THE "IT" FACTOR though, and I still don't think I have "it"  Sometimes I don't even think I'm worth "it."

Dec 07 06 12:08 am Link

Model

Lelah G

rania wrote:

...I still dont see what everyone else sees.
Im definitely not conceited. I think im pretty, but there are a million pretty girls...
And guys will say anything sometimes, so i dont believe much that i hear..
I model because it is fun, and I enjoy it- but i still dont see beautiful.

How did you get her to see what everyone else saw??

Modeling IS indeed fun.  In fact, I love runway.

Dec 07 06 12:09 am Link

Model

Rania

Lelah G wrote:

Modeling IS indeed fun.  In fact, I love runway.

i haven't done any runway shows yet hmm

Dec 07 06 12:15 am Link

Model

Wynd Mulysa

Berkeley, California, US

mrlouis wrote:

Your thoughts please

I recognized my talent as a model through all of the job offers I was getting and how happy photographers were to shoot me.  It was compliments from my fellow artists.  Compliments from family and friends don't mean as much.. They love you and are always saying nice things.  But "business compliments" are what make the difference.  Those people aren't just trying to make you smile.

I decided to look into modeling because I'm quirky.  I have a look that isn't plastered all over the place.  I thought maybe it would work in my favor and.. I was right.  A great look isn't everything, though.  I have been successful because I am hard-working and put a lot into shoots.

Dec 07 06 12:20 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

my dad raised me in front of a camera (he's a photographer)

Dec 07 06 12:21 am Link

Model

Rania

Jessalyn wrote:
my dad raised me in front of a camera (he's a photographer)

thats so cool~ has he taken any of the pictures in your port?

Dec 07 06 12:22 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Los Angeles, California, US

mrlouis wrote:

Your thoughts please

Being a model is SO much more than good looks! I think personality carries you very far! I am ......(hyperactive, goofy, nerdy, funny and fun to work with, and don't care what people think)  Like any business, people want to work with people they ENJOY working with! smile my three cents!

All the best,
Britty

Dec 07 06 12:25 am Link

Model

Courtney King

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Every girls dream is obviously to be a model and of course i wanted to be that! So then when i started growing up I went to an agency but for runway not print (shouldve picked the other one instead). And then i stopped and after that random people always thought i was a model and i was like "Noooo.." after a lot of people said that I should be a model I started thinking about it and watching americas next top model and sayint o myself, I could do that, I know I can. Unfortunately I just started getting into modeling this year so It`ll take me awhile to get there...but i`ll try my best!

;]

Dec 07 06 12:27 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Courtney King wrote:
Every girls dream is obviously to be a model and of course i wanted to be that! So then when i started growing up I went to an agency but for runway not print (shouldve picked the other one instead). And then i stopped and after that random people always thought i was a model and i was like "Noooo.." after a lot of people said that I should be a model I started thinking about it and watching americas next top model and sayint o myself, I could do that, I know I can. Unfortunately I just started getting into modeling this year so It`ll take me awhile to get there...but i`ll try my best!

;]

I am odd! I always wanted to be a doctor! Ummm...m.

Dec 07 06 12:33 am Link

Model

Jessalyn

Denver, Colorado, US

rania wrote:

thats so cool~ has he taken any of the pictures in your port?

nope. the kind of modeling I enjoy doing is not anything I would be comfortable shooting with my dad. so when we do shoot together it's cute headshots in the grass, etc which isn't anything I really need to add to my port. It's my private collection I don't share with others.

Dec 07 06 12:38 am Link

Model

Brittney Harrington

Wynd Mulysa wrote:

I recognized my talent as a model through all of the job offers I was getting and how happy photographers were to shoot me.  It was compliments from my fellow artists.  Compliments from family and friends don't mean as much.. They love you and are always saying nice things.  But "business compliments" are what make the difference.  Those people aren't just trying to make you smile.

I decided to look into modeling because I'm quirky.  I have a look that isn't plastered all over the place.  I thought maybe it would work in my favor and.. I was right.  A great look isn't everything, though.  I have been successful because I am hard-working and put a lot into shoots.

Quirky is key! I look like an alien! Haha! But seriously, you have to be unique in every way shape or form, as that is how you create a demand for YOU! It all boils down to  economics: Supply and Demand

Dec 07 06 12:39 am Link

Model

Rania

Jessalyn wrote:
when we do shoot together it's cute headshots in the grass, etc which isn't anything I really need to add to my port. It's my private collection I don't share with others.

thats sweet.

Dec 07 06 12:42 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

When at the age of 12 I was was already 5'8.5" and weighed about 100 lbs. I was approached (or rather my parents were) about modeling. I was not really interested, but at 14, I made the decision myself. I worked as a straight size model until I was about 21 (in Milwaukee, then Chicago, and finally NYC) and then I thought it was all over, and I wanted to be a teacher.

I became a teacher, and now, many years later, (and many sizes larger and only an inch taller, lol) I returned to modeling as a plus size model. It is more fun now then when I was younger. Then it was work. Now it is just a fun part time job.

Dec 07 06 12:43 am Link

Model

Michelle Renee

oops, double post

Dec 07 06 12:43 am Link

Model

Serene Death

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Well, my mom, who was a model, always talked about how my sister and I were both offered contracts as small children and how much she wished she could have followed through on that for us as an opportunity, so the idea was stuck in my head from about birth onward. However when I did not grow up to be tall or thin I gave up for a long time, I know the 'score'. Still...all my life strangers have stopped me on the street to stare and comment positively on my eyes, bone structure, lips, etc. So when I discovered online modelling portfolio sites I figured I had nothing to lose and everything to gain by seeing if any photographers would be as interested in my look as everyone else seemed to be. So far it's one of my most fun endeavours.

Dec 07 06 12:45 am Link

Model

Lelah G

Brittney Harrington Jr. wrote:

I am odd! I always wanted to be a doctor! Ummm...m.

Not odd at all . . . if I weren't a singer, I thought I was going to be an artist, or a cartoonist.  I would always draw pictures & color them, and not just stick figures, lol.  Then I thought I'd run a museum.  I've always been the artsy type, just the reserved artsy-type.  Never in my wildest dreams would I have suspected I'd be doing this.  Hell, my only good picture that I remember was on my 10th grade school ID!  lol  I liked taking pictures of others, not myself.

Dec 07 06 12:45 am Link

Photographer

Kenzphotos

Anaheim, California, US

Kalelah -

Believe what people are telling (and showing) you...because "it" was there inside of you all along. "It" has only shown itself on the outside for the last few years.  "it" is in your eyes and the way you carry yourself and keep yourself in great shape.  "Feel the Force"  LOL

Dec 07 06 12:49 am Link

Model

Felix Monet

Salem, Oregon, US

Well, when I was a child I was rather naïve and didn't really understand what modeling was until I was in about third grade. It was then that my mother took me to an orientation for a modeling school in town. It turned out that we couldn't afford it seeing how it was a thousand dollar tuition fee with a hundred dollar a month charge. But it was that little experience that put the thought in my head that I was attractive enough to be a model. I started doing TFP shoots when I was fourteen and am still doing them. Anyway, I'm fifteen years old now and I'm certain that I want to pursue modeling. Wish me luck!

Dec 07 06 12:56 am Link

Model

Sirensong

Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

mrlouis wrote:

Your thoughts please

I find this one a hard question to answer.
If I say yes, I recognise my talent as a model then I will sound conceited(to me)
If I say no I dont..then I am still saying that I thnk others DO think I am good..and I still feel a bit conceited.

I dont get constant compliments ..I have to be honest and say that when I do get them I never know quite what to say.
My usual answer when told that my images are great or that I am amazing and other such lovely words are that I have been lucky to have worked with bloody good photographers, and that I simply mess about for the camera a bit.

I accept that I have a strong look and can produce some striking imagery but any more than that and I tend to get a bit red faced..I am just me ..in front of the camera and away from it, its all the same really.
I realise I must be doing something right as I keep getting hired but god knows what that thing is.

As for the attention..lol, I have four children under the age of 13..believe me I get LOTS of attention from them..
I model simply for the buzz it gives me, for the fact that I can be anything I want for a short time..its like a big game of dress up and lets pretend.

Saying that I never wanted to model, I only took it up for a bet this year in January and to kill a few demons in myself by confrounting my hair head on so to speak but I stuck with it because I loved it so much.

I have always really wanted to be a rock star so modelling wasnt a first choice by any means.

Dec 07 06 05:48 am Link

Model

Josie Nutter

Seattle, Washington, US

I grew up thinking I was ugly.  Kids can be cruel.

I got into modelling much later in life because I had photographer and fashion designer friends who wanted to use me for their projects.  I kept doing it because I felt like a healthy, non-anorexic role model for younger girls interested in this sort of thing AND because it's fun with the right people.

Dec 08 06 04:26 pm Link

Photographer

VisualPoet

Washington, District of Columbia, US

very interesting replies.  Can people immediately recognize you as a model & are you treated differently.  Living in the DC metro area, I know alot of very pretty girls (models) who say that they find it very hard for men to approach them, either because they are pretty or because they are pretty - guys seem to think they are already taken!

Dec 09 06 06:39 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Dec 09 06 11:06 am Link

Model

Dominick D

Norwich, England, United Kingdom

Dominick-Destruction wrote:
I feel the whole not seeing whut everyone else see's thing sad
But I've learnt to accept I never will. I'm content in the knowledge that my pictures are enjoyed & I'm told I'm photogenic.... I got into the modelling thing by accident really. Originally I just self shot (I was doing it all as a creative outlet becuase I enjoyed photogrpahy, I just used myself as the model as I found it easier to get the result I wanted.)I then had people telling me I photographed well & that I should be a model... This really shocked me 'cos I'd never seen myself as 'model' material. But here I am... Not full of ego, Not thinking I'm the most beautiful & perfect beign on the planet & still not seeing my true reflection in the mirror. But I honestly can now say I'm glad I don't as I wouldn't want to have the attitude of someone who thinks that they're the shit. I have my flaws.I love my imperfections just as much as my perfections
The only thing I know deep down ;is that I am a creative person & a unique person... & it's this that I bring to my work.

x

Dec 09 06 11:08 am Link

Model

Paz Crystal

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

friends kept telling me to get into it and once i started i loved it!!

Dec 09 06 12:20 pm Link