Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Change Colour of Item

Photographer

mendesphotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I shoot a "fashion" type shot of my kids for Christmas every year and need some help this year.

The shoot calls for a red blazer to be wore but I can't find one in my sons size so, I was wondering how hard it would be to shoot him in say a blue or white one (which he has) and then change it to red in post?  I can provide RAW file is easier. 

Is this something that can be done fairly quickly?  How much would one of you charge and how quickly can you turn it around for me?

Please let me know.

Thanks
V

Dec 13 16 01:53 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

mendesphotography wrote:
I shoot a "fashion" type shot of my kids for Christmas every year and need some help this year.

The shoot calls for a red blazer to be wore but I can't find one in my sons size so, I was wondering how hard it would be to shoot him in say a blue or white one (which he has) and then change it to red in post?  I can provide RAW file is easier. 

Is this something that can be done fairly quickly?  How much would one of you charge and how quickly can you turn it around for me?

Please let me know.

Thanks
V

It's not possible. You can't just change blue to red or red to blue.

BTW - this took a minute and a half, required no creation or duplication of layers, and I'll help you out for free as my Christmas present to you!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161213/14/585071066a0a6.jpg

Dec 13 16 02:08 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

If you understand that colours are defined by hue, saturation and lightness, then it's something you may be able to do easily yourself. If the blue blazer is of a similar lightness and saturation to the required red, then all you will have to do is change the hue. Also watch out for tell-tale colour bounces (for example under the chin).
A white blazer would not be helpful because it is not of similar lightness and the saturation is close to zero.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2022.21.29.png

This took two minutes.

PS If you use a masked Solid Colour Adjustment Layer set to Hue, as below, you will have more control over the final colour.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2023.04.16.png

Dec 13 16 02:13 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

damned double post.

Dec 13 16 02:32 pm Link

Photographer

mendesphotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

still-photography wrote:
It's not possible. You can't just change blue to red or red to blue.

BTW - this took a minute and a half, required no creation or duplication of layers, and I'll help you out for free as my Christmas present to you!

https://photos.modelmayhem.com/photos/161213/14/585071066a0a6.jpg

So it is possible????  Above you said no.  I appreciate the help.

Dec 13 16 03:13 pm Link

Photographer

mendesphotography

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

a k mac wrote:
If you understand that colours are defined by hue, saturation and lightness, then it's something you may be able to do easily yourself. If the blue blazer is of a similar lightness and saturation to the required red, then all you will have to do is change the hue. Also watch out for tell-tale colour bounces (for example under the chin).
A white blazer would not be helpful because it is not of similar lightness and the saturation is close to zero.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2022.21.29.png

This took two minutes.

PS If you use a masked Solid Colour Adjustment Layer set to Hue, as below, you will have more control over the final colour.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Screen%20Shot%202016-12-13%20at%2023.04.16.png

Thanks so much.  I'm certainly not a pro in editing and I do appreciate your help.
V

Dec 13 16 03:14 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

mendesphotography wrote:

Please let me know.

Thanks
V

It is very easy to change one color without influencing another when the other color is far from the first one in the color space. E.g. it is much easier to change blue to red without affecting skin tone, rather than changing orange to blue as skin is kind of orange/pink too. If the color you want to change is close to skin color (or to other colors which you don't want to change) it is still possible but just slower as some manual masking would be needed.

I don't recommend doing it with solid color layer in Color or Hue mode. There are much better and more correct ways.

Dec 13 16 03:15 pm Link

Photographer

still-photography

Bothell, Washington, US

mendesphotography wrote:
So it is possible????  Above you said no.  I appreciate the help.

Yes, it is very possible. And, yes, I made a joke.  When you have the image send me an email, I'll give it to you in PM. I won't do it, but will walk you through the process. Very simple - then you'll know how to do it in the future.

Dec 13 16 03:27 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

anchev wrote:
I don't recommend doing it with solid color layer in Color or Hue mode. There are much better and more correct ways.

Yes, there are many ways, but probably best to start with an easy one.

Dec 13 16 03:28 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac wrote:
Yes, there are many ways, but probably best to start with an easy one.

The easiest one is also the best one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tyYjsYUrww

Dec 13 16 03:42 pm Link

Photographer

Kevin Connery

El Segundo, California, US

Lab mode is also very useful for this kind of thing, though it would be even easier to convert green to red: invert the B curve in an adjustment layer and adjust the blend-if sliders. Blue to red is harder, but some judicious A and B curve tweaks and associated blend-if sliders should get close enough to take back to RGB and final tune.

3D LUTs are even more powerful, but not everyone has them, and they're harder (in my opinion) to use. (Well, set up. Using is simple. smile )

Dec 13 16 11:20 pm Link

Retoucher

Kevin Connery wrote:
Lab mode is also very useful for this kind of thing, though it would be even easier to convert green to red: invert the B curve in an adjustment layer and adjust the blend-if sliders. Blue to red is harder, but some judicious A and B curve tweaks and associated blend-if sliders should get close enough to take back to RGB and final tune.

Yes but Lab mode is something which needs more understanding and not everyone has it. Also the curve tool of Photoshop is really not so well made, especially when it comes to working with a/b channels.

3D LUTs are even more powerful, but not everyone has them, and they're harder (in my opinion) to use. (Well, set up. Using is simple. smile )

With 3DLC (3dlutcreator) you can create your own LUTs in seconds. It uses Lab mode internally and because it has other color models as well (HSP etc) it is much easier to separate colors. Also from what I've been told it calculates all colors in 32-bit mode internally which makes it very accurate. I have been using this app since its beta versions and I am also in constant touch with Oleg (the developer) who is a great guy with very deep understanding of how color works, we discuss improvements etc. It is not an overestimation to say that when it comes to color work Photoshop (which is so 90's anyway) is very limited compared to 3DLC. Not only it is much easier and faster to have 1 LUT layer instead of 10 other adjustment layers but additionally 3dlc allows to use libraw and a completely logarithmic workflow with full separation of retouching and color work which I have been waiting for years (no other raw converter can do this). I really recommend it to everyone who is serious about color and post-processing.

Dec 14 16 02:06 am Link