Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Smooth skin filters please

Retoucher

SW Retouch

Hi,

I have a new US client who likes the smooth, retouched look of this photographer http://jenn-collins.com

I think this look is created using a filter.  I normally just dodge & burn to achieve smooth skin but I think she likes the more airbrushed look which I think are normally created using filters.

Is there a popular filter download?  What are people using these days to achieve this look?

Many thanks!

Nov 20 16 01:17 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

I'm no expert but I wouldn't characterise that work as necessarily filter airbrushed myself. D&B can look quite different depending on how heavy handed you are, how well you understand light, texture, colour, anatomy etc.

If you're determined to use a filter though a popular and fairly flexible one is Imagenomic Portraiture:

http://www.imagenomic.com/pt.aspx

Nov 20 16 01:26 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

I'm only viewing on a 13" laptop, but most of these just look like skilful D&B plus a lot of painting in of highlights to enhance the sheen. There are some images further down in the portfolio which may have been achieved using a combination of D&B plus some FS bandstop, but generally they just look like skilful standard retouching. Having said that, usually the only tell-tale sign of the use of filters and plugins for skin smoothing is when the job is heavy-handed. It is very hard to detect when they are blended in and used with taste and discretion.

Nov 20 16 01:40 pm Link

Photographer

Black Z Eddie

San Jacinto, California, US

OP, if you use the software on that link, apply sparingly and on areas that need it.  Even at it's default setting, Threshold = 20, it can/will look heavy handed.  Either lower the threshold and/or just slowly mask the opacity in as needed.

I used to use it and started off at Threshold = 5.  That's how low I would use it because it has a strong effect.  I think at most, I went to 7.  often times, I'd go down to 3.

Nov 20 16 02:06 pm Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Black Z Eddie wrote:
OP, if you use the software on that link, apply sparingly and on areas that need it.  Even at it's default setting, Threshold = 20, it can/will look heavy handed.  Either lower the threshold and/or just slowly mask the opacity in as needed.

I used to use it and started off at Threshold = 5.  That's how low I would use it because it has a strong effect.  I think at most, I went to 7.  often times, I'd go down to 3.

If you do a frequency split you can then apply the filter against the low frequency layer without affecting texture.

Nov 20 16 03:34 pm Link

Retoucher

Cole Bettelyoun

Martin, South Dakota, US

These ain't no smoothing filters, this is Dodge and Burn work. Great work imo.

Nov 20 16 08:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Steven Burnette Retouch

Mount Vernon, New York, US

If you're looking for a filter that will by itself achieve those results, then you're very much out of luck. A significant amount of work time was put in before reaching those results. Before even considering the post work, consider those images in the setup and photography stages. Just looking at the first six images, I believe that all those faces were treated with an oily substance (that's not done in post), it may possible be glycerin. Then there's the lighting.

Would you say that the RAW images from your client are in a similar category to these ? If not, you are setting yourself up for a serious uphill battle with digital alchemy to attempt to come anywhere close to those looks in post. Sometimes as professionals, it's part of our job to get the client's expectations to the right levels. Sometimes, clients really don't know what is realistically achievable with the components they bring to us. They will go "I want you to take all of this and come back to me with that". It's up to you to not end up over promising and under delivering.

Nov 20 16 11:07 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

K I M I L Y wrote:
I'm no expert but I wouldn't characterise that work as necessarily filter airbrushed myself. D&B can look quite different depending on how heavy handed you are, how well you understand light, texture, colour, anatomy etc.

If you're determined to use a filter though a popular and fairly flexible one is Imagenomic Portraiture:

Thanks.  That's interesting.  Thanks for the link too although I think it might be a bit too heavy handed plus I have to pay for it :-/

Nov 20 16 11:37 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

a k mac wrote:
I'm only viewing on a 13" laptop, but most of these just look like skilful D&B plus a lot of painting in of highlights to enhance the sheen. There are some images further down in the portfolio which may have been achieved using a combination of D&B plus some FS bandstop, but generally they just look like skilful standard retouching. Having said that, usually the only tell-tale sign of the use of filters and plugins for skin smoothing is when the job is heavy-handed. It is very hard to detect when they are blended in and used with taste and discretion.

Thanks AK Mac I will try to paint some of those highlights in as well then.  Yes if I use a filter it's only going to be at a low percentage but hopefully it will help reduced the contrast/texture in the skin.  That's my goal

Nov 20 16 11:38 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

Black Z Eddie wrote:

Good advice thank you Eddie

Nov 20 16 11:39 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

K I M I L Y wrote:

If you do a frequency split you can then apply the filter against the low frequency layer without affecting texture.

Kimily, this is interesting.  I tried a frequency split this morning, I think that's a good start.  So using your method, I apply the filter to which layer?  When I do frequency split I have two layers, 1 is my blurred layer, the second is my texture layer.  Which layer should I apply the filter to?
Also do you know of any free skin smoothing filters?

Nov 20 16 11:41 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

Cole Bettelyoun wrote:
These ain't no smoothing filters, this is Dodge and Burn work. Great work imo.

Unfortunately she is not paying old school dodge & burn prices, (I've already done 3 hours/image) she is paying bargain basement filter prices!!

Nov 20 16 11:42 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

Steven Burnette Retouch wrote:
If you're looking for a filter that will by itself achieve those results, then you're very much out of luck. A significant amount of work time was put in before reaching those results. Before even considering the post work, consider those images in the setup and photography stages. Just looking at the first six images, I believe that all those faces were treated with an oily substance (that's not done in post), it may possible be glycerin. Then there's the lighting.

Would you say that the RAW images from your client are in a similar category to these ? If not, you are setting yourself up for a serious uphill battle with digital alchemy to attempt to come anywhere close to those looks in post. Sometimes as professionals, it's part of our job to get the client's expectations to the right levels. Sometimes, clients really don't know what is realistically achievable with the components they bring to us. They will go "I want you to take all of this and come back to me with that". It's up to you to not end up over promising and under delivering.

To be fair, her raws are very good (lighting, colour correction wise) but no the skin has not been treated in that way (glycerin - wow!)
Yeah maybe I have to manage her expectations!

Nov 20 16 11:43 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

a k mac wrote:

Also re: FS Bandstop, do you mean F stop in-camera or is this something else?

Nov 20 16 11:46 pm Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

Any free links to skin smoothing filters etc I can play with appreciated too.  Thank you!

Nov 20 16 11:47 pm Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

SW Retouch wrote:

I think it's also referred to as Band Pass, but I believe Band Stop is the correct term. It's a technique that is generally regarded as naughty. But there is a time and place for everything.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Band%20Stop.jpg

Nov 21 16 12:52 am Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

a k mac wrote:

SW Retouch wrote:

I think it's also referred to as Band Pass, but I believe Band Stop is the correct term. It's a technique that is generally regarded as naughty. But there is a time and place for everything.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21186335/Band%20Stop.jpg

Oh yes I tried that automatically.  I'm all for a cheeky shortcut!

Nov 21 16 01:53 am Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

OK what I've tried is:
-Split frequency
-& as above duplicated the lower frequency layer but put it at a lower opacity & brushed it in on some extra areas.
-Then I've done a de-contrast curve set it to luminosity & brushed this (on a mask), over the skin.
-Then a bit more dodge & burn on top of that.

I'll see what her feedback is & report back!

Nov 21 16 01:56 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

SW Retouch wrote:
Kimily, this is interesting.  I tried a frequency split this morning, I think that's a good start.  So using your method, I apply the filter to which layer?  When I do frequency split I have two layers, 1 is my blurred layer, the second is my texture layer.  Which layer should I apply the filter to?

The blurred layer - commonly referred to as the LF or low frequency layer. Just like bandstop. BTW it's not my method - in fact I don't believe I've ever tried it. I'm just suggesting there might be other ways of controlling how a skin-smoothing filter could be selectively applied if people think it's too heavy-handed.

SW Retouch wrote:
Also do you know of any free skin smoothing filters?

Not off the top of my head - I'm not a regular user of third party filters. Have a search through this forum - I'm pretty sure people will have posted their own actions or links to free skin smoothing filters or actions in the past.

Nov 21 16 02:20 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Just a friendly word of caution. It comes across as unprofessional to discuss, in public, your dealings with someone you've identified. It's not needed in order to have a sensible discussion.

Nov 21 16 02:35 am Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

SW Retouch wrote:
Unfortunately she is not paying old school dodge & burn prices, (I've already done 3 hours/image) she is paying bargain basement filter prices!!

Learning to say "No" is a skill superior to filtering images if one wants better clients.

Nov 21 16 02:51 am Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

K I M I L Y wrote:
Just a friendly word of caution. It comes across as unprofessional to discuss, in public, your dealings with someone you've identified. It's not needed in order to have a sensible discussion.

Yes of course, I haven't mentioned any names but thanks for the reminder!

Nov 22 16 01:01 am Link

Retoucher

SW Retouch

anchev wrote:

Learning to say "No" is a skill superior to filtering images if one wants better clients.

Ha ha.  Yes maybe in time!

Nov 22 16 01:02 am Link

Photographer

Tytaniafairy

Evansville, Indiana, US

K I M I L Y wrote:

agree with this  , but you can get the same look from frequency seperation .

Nov 28 16 12:11 am Link

Photographer

Ruben Sanchez

San Antonio, Texas, US

SW Retouch wrote:
Hi,

I have a new US client who likes the smooth, retouched look of this photographer http://jenn-collins.com

Is there a popular filter download?  What are people using these days to achieve this look?

It looks like a Frequency Separation edit.  There isn't a one-click filter, yet, that I know of, but Youtube has a lot of good videos on how to do it.  The settings that work on one photo, usually won't work on another photo, as the lighting on the face will be different, but with enough experience, you'll be able to do that technique in 5-10 minutes.

Dec 14 16 11:27 pm Link