Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Anyone still uses PS CS6 or earlier?

Photographer

StyleGuru90

Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

With Adobe releasing CC2017 and finally becoming more stable than previous CC releases, who still is holding on to Photoshop CS6 and earlier versions?

Are you still against their payment plan? Just curious.

Nov 08 16 04:16 am Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

I'm still using Lightroom 6.0 and yes, I am very much against Adobe's subscription service.

Nov 08 16 05:27 am Link

Photographer

HHPhoto

Denver, Colorado, US

I still use CS6 and Lightroom 5.7
CS6 does all that I need and it is familiar.  And... I haven't had to pay for it over and over and over since the original one time purchase.  I use Lightroom as a library, not to edit images.
If I get a new computer, I might upgrade.  I am still using 2008 MacPro which runs great but it won't handle the next OSX.  Thinking about a new MacPro but waiting for new model release.

Nov 08 16 05:28 am Link

Photographer

3 Leaves Left Imaging

Hoboken, New Jersey, US

I am still very resentful of their payment plan. In the past I would only update every few years because let's face it, PS updates have not been real "must have"  in quite a while, frankly, I haven't seen any meaningful additions to PS in ages. I just think they have gotten lazy  and stopped innovating, let's face it they have no competition so why should they. They just seem to "tweak" some things and in some cases make things worse that were perfectly fine before.

Nov 08 16 05:32 am Link

Photographer

George Holroyd

Budapest, Budapest, Hungary

My wife uses PS and inDesign and will likely subscribe when the time comes, as there is no alternative to the latter for her editing business. We may both end up on the subscription plan, for lack of choice.

Nov 08 16 05:44 am Link

Photographer

PhillipM

Nashville, Tennessee, US

I'm using CC.  Have no clue what version LR and PS I'm using.

Nov 08 16 05:58 am Link

Retoucher

Greg Curran

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

still using CS6, it does what I need.

Nov 08 16 06:24 am Link

Retoucher

a k mac

London, England, United Kingdom

I used to upgrade every other version but I deferred upgrading to the cloud, and I've not really thought about it since. CS6 does everything I need.

Nov 08 16 07:19 am Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Dear Adobe
https://i.imgflip.com/vg5db.jpg
I'll go gimp or something when CS6 cant cut it anymore

Nov 08 16 08:03 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

Bakersfield, California, US

Still on CS6 and whatever Lightroom I have that was on their perpetual plan.  I think the last Lightroom had the option for CC or perpetual, but I took the forever one which shows version 6.7.

I'm not using any Cloud stuff as my 'crackerjack' AT&T DSL sort of sucks for speed and appears similar to that of the old CompuServe dial-up at times. The underground wiring is rotting away and grounding out their speed, or so they say.  Watering the lawn can kill it.  Downloads can take me hours, and my recent Apple iPad reset/reinstall of the iOS took 14 hours with it and I had to reset the download for capture every 15 minutes else it dump the cache and would start all over.  What a PITA that was, and because I made an entry error using alpha letters instead of numbers in the damn passcode!

Presently, all my apps work fine in CS6 and the Lightroom 6 version I have too.  Editing stills is editing.  Movies might change their coding more than JPG or TIFF stills.  RAW is RawTherapee, OnOne, AlienSkin, or the camera maker's software, etc.  No need for CameraRAW from Adobe.

If Windows pulls their perpetual enterprise monthly fee trip on their home version of 10, I'll probably go to Apple. But software???

Nov 08 16 11:03 am Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

CS3 & CS5 when needed. CS3 does what I need.

Oh, fuck Adobe subscription.

Nov 08 16 12:32 pm Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

my windows box is CS5.5 suite, my iMac is Photoshop CS6

at work I use CS3 yikes

I have nothing against CC, if I had more, and a steadier stream of freelance jobs, I'd switch straight away.

Nov 08 16 02:05 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

I am still using Photoshop CS6 and I am quite happy about it!

Nov 09 16 03:14 am Link

Photographer

Visual Kapture

Chicago, Illinois, US

I use CS6 Premium Suite.  I dont see a need to create another bill to pay.   Im sure theres not much more I would do on the latest subscription than on CS6.

Nov 25 16 01:08 am Link

Photographer

Lee Nomedal-LaFon

Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway

I actually got a subscription to CS for Photoshop and Lightroom for a student / worker here, but I continue to use Lightroom 5, and Photoshop 6 because I have no real reason to switch.

Nov 25 16 07:06 am Link

Photographer

Lee Nomedal-LaFon

Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway

Nov 25 16 07:06 am Link

Retoucher

Rafael_Alexander

Atlanta, Georgia, US

I still use cs6 quite a bit actually,I use Adobe CC on our studio servers but when i'm not on the office computers, I havent found a need to make the switch on my home computer.

Nov 25 16 12:38 pm Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

I was just reading this guy's issue with the fine print in the CC version and how his exit experience went with Adobe CC.

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/ind … c=114687.0

Maybe time for On1 RAW in Dec. when it's a full version.

Nov 28 16 07:40 am Link

Photographer

New York, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:
I was just reading this guy's issue with the fine print in the CC version and how his exit experience went with Adobe CC.

Was not aware of all that.
Good info

I work from several computers, use ps6 suite on my main with a new version of lightroom, on other machines I have a couple of ps 3, a ps 2, and some free software that can get me by if I do not have access to the main, the main is too overloaded with work, or the main is doing upgrades or fixing.

I work well with separating duties into various machines and find it more economical than trying to keep a super machine going.

Nov 28 16 10:47 am Link

Photographer

Francisco Castro

Cincinnati, Ohio, US

StyleGuru90 wrote:
With Adobe releasing CC2017 and finally becoming more stable than previous CC releases, who still is holding on to Photoshop CS6 and earlier versions?

Are you still against their payment plan? Just curious.

I am still on CS5 technology, and so farm it's been able to do everything I need it to do. I'll upgrade as soon as there's something I need done that I can't do with this version.

Nov 28 16 12:48 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

GRMACK wrote:

Excellent info on Adobe treatment of customers
I knew the CC was bad for consumers and benefits Adobe's bottom line only

Nov 28 16 02:57 pm Link

Photographer

Pelle Piano

Stockholm, Stockholm, Sweden

I also use CS5 on older computer to run older filters that is not supported in 64-bit environment , where I run the CC215.5.

Nov 29 16 01:18 am Link

Photographer

GM Photography

Olympia, Washington, US

I'm using LR 5 and Photoshop CS5.

Dec 19 16 03:05 pm Link

Photographer

Roy Nelson Photos

West Hollywood, California, US

CS5 and won't do subscription for either adobe or MS anything.

Dec 19 16 04:14 pm Link

Photographer

J Greenman

Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada

Still using CS6 ! Subscription based software? No thanks!

Dec 20 16 07:20 am Link

Photographer

alantan-fotography

Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Still on CS6. Sbout s month before the release of CS6, they say it'll be a free upgrade from CS5 so I bought it and in less than a year it went to cloud and I couldn't get a free subscription for the year.
CS6 does what I needed and just got affinity photo and will play around with it.

Dec 20 16 08:57 pm Link

Photographer

L o n d o n F o g

London, England, United Kingdom

Still using CS5, no plans or need to update either!

Dec 21 16 03:01 am Link

Photographer

Varton Photography

New York, New York, US

I am still using CS4 LOL
big_smile

Dec 21 16 05:46 am Link

Photographer

Love the Arts

Malibu, California, US

I work with the CS masters edition. I will use it as long as it does the job. I'd rather spend the cash on other things.

Dec 21 16 06:17 pm Link

Retoucher

JacekM3

Piastów, Mazowieckie, Poland

I use Photoshop CS6 (box Design Standard) + Capture1Pro (for now 9). Enough to everything. I stopped like Adobe. I hate CC. smile

Dec 22 16 12:43 am Link

Clothing Designer

GRMACK

I was reading yesterday where Adobe may move the next version of Lightroom to some cloud-based version soon.  That means a costly data overage plan for those using a cellular connection for speeds, or me taking hours with any cloud-based crap with my cracker-jack AT&T DSL probably stolen from Compuserve's or AOL's squawk-box 56K dial-up speeds.

Some files takes me 4-5 hours to send, and to reset my Apple iPad's iOS took 14 hours with AT&T - plus I had to babysit it to continue the iOS download very 15 minutes else it would disconnect from the Apple server and restart all over again.  Third world DSL here as "I'm too far from their switch" for any speed, plus rotting underground wiring that grounds the RF signal into the mud.  Damn gophers ate through the main PG&E trunk line and took out power for 18 hours too.

Dec 22 16 09:26 am Link

Retoucher

Pictus

Teresópolis, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

GRMACK,
For Windows the free SG TCP Optimizer may help a little bit.
http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

Dec 23 16 06:25 am Link