Forums > Newbie Forum > Newb here...question

Model

CarissaPennington

Richmond, Virginia, US

Hey everyone, I'm certainly new to all the mayhem; however I was wondering: I get a few messages/emails a day about photographers wanting me for a shoot and I will follow up. A few emails back and forth, even some texts, and I still don't have concrete plans from anyone...so what gives?

How do you all weed out the time-wasters from the bill-payers??

Oct 03 16 03:27 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

HI.  Welcome to MM and good luck.  You have already found the first problem that both models and photographers have.  You have also found the forums.   Which helps. The question you ask comes up often in the forums and if you want to get information faster than you will from your thread, start looking at the threads in General Industry, Off topic, Model and Photography as starting points.  There are several things about MM that you should know.  Things about TF shoots and not getting prints, no shows, travel, etc.   

There are a lot of great people on MM that keep their word and reliable and honest.  There are also a lot of non professional people and a few that don't keep their word.  So reading up will help you sort out the issues.

You can also look under the edu section.  There are some helpful articles in there.

You have a port that shows experience and your look will attract a lot of attention.  You may have to work a little harder to sort the people out,

Again, good luck and welcome.

Oct 03 16 03:40 pm Link

Photographer

Naughty Ties

Riverview, Florida, US

You should be able to set a shoot up with just a few messages, anything else is indeed people wasting your time.

If you aren't getting the info you need to set something up then pin them down with specific questions and if the response is anything less than what you asked to be provided then move on. 

IMHO of course.   smile

Oct 03 16 03:41 pm Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

Some of the established models here get 200 hundred messages at a time.  I doubt that very many of those result in paid shoots.  Keep in mind that even though as a basic member, you can reply to all of those messages.

Oct 03 16 05:21 pm Link

Photographer

First Life Photography

Plymouth, England, United Kingdom

Hello and Welcome to MM. smile

Some good advice already given.

So I will just wish you all the best, enjoy your modelling! smile

Oct 03 16 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Risen Phoenix Photo

Minneapolis, Minnesota, US

Oct 03 16 10:57 pm Link

Photographer

Filles de Pin-up

Wichita, Kansas, US

Welcome to the Mayhem hienvy

New Model Info

Oct 05 16 08:21 pm Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

CarissaPennington wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm certainly new to all the mayhem; however I was wondering: I get a few messages/emails a day about photographers wanting me for a shoot and I will follow up. A few emails back and forth, even some texts, and I still don't have concrete plans from anyone...so what gives?

Obviously something in your response is not what they wanted to hear.

Oct 06 16 10:12 am Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

CarissaPennington wrote:

Carissa, welcome to MM. I would not think you would have a lot to trouble getting shoots.
I'm gonna suggest you fix your rate and put it on your page.
The only ones that will contact you will be those that are willing to pay what you are asking. So the only variable will be when!!
When you put NEGOTIABLE, the door is wide open to wasting your time. 
Again welcome and good luck!!!

Oct 07 16 01:33 am Link

Model

Lisa Everhart

Sebring, Florida, US

Carissa,

This is definitely good advice from John.

In addition, if you have recent nudes, then add them to your port. Be detailed in your terms. This eliminates a lot of wasted time.

Welcome and the best to you here and in all your endeavors.

Oct 07 16 09:28 am Link

Photographer

FFantastique

Orlando, Florida, US

Part of how to triage is a matter of style, and not knowing your style it's hard to advise appropriately.

However, if you're doing this as a business--then you might want to state standard rates for starters--that allows many people to self select out. Or if they contact you they know what your rates are.

You can raise or lower depending on who the photographer is.

It's like bidding. You make the money on the upgrades, change orders, etc.  I'm not suggesting anything immoral, unethical, illegal, bait and switch or anything like that but you might want to charge more for bad photographer and you might even pay to shoot with a great photographer!

Put putting a price tag on your profile starts the process off faster.

It's like chess, the first move you get to move two spaces. Take advantage of that to get the ball rolling faster, so to speak.

You do good work and I'm happy to take 3/10 of a nonbillable hour to consult privately, after you've done your homework and if you wish.

Oct 07 16 09:58 am Link

Photographer

P R E S T O N

Birmingham, England, United Kingdom

The wisdom of stating your rates depends entirely upon whether you know your market value as well as how busy you'd like (or need) to be.

The first thing I would do is remove your email address from your profile notes.

Oct 07 16 10:26 am Link

Photographer

MikeW

Cape Canaveral, Florida, US

CarissaPennington wrote:

You are sending conflicting information which might be part of the problem. Your profile states "Please understand that this is how I make my living, my rates are affordable and negotiable……" but you also indicate "Compensation: N/A".  It could be photographers are getting confused about what you want.

Oct 16 16 08:52 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

Naughty Ties wrote:
You should be able to set a shoot up with just a few messages, anything else is indeed people wasting your time.

If you aren't getting the info you need to set something up then pin them down with specific questions and if the response is anything less than what you asked to be provided then move on. 

IMHO of course.   smile

This is not necessarily the case.

even as i type this I've been trying to schedule a date with one of our local models and things just aren't working out for dates/times that work for both of us.  With work, vacations, and other mess it's just not worked out so far but we keep trying.

Now, If I didn't know better or perhaps the model didn't know better and we read your "excellent advice" then we'd both cop an atitude and tell the other to go to hell rather than keep trying.

Bravo!   Keep up the good advice.

Oct 16 16 09:34 pm Link

Photographer

Barry Kidd Photography

Red Lion, Pennsylvania, US

MikeW wrote:

You are sending conflicting information which might be part of the problem. Your profile states "Please understand that this is how I make my living, my rates are affordable and negotiable……" but you also indicate "Compensation: N/A".  It could be photographers are getting confused about what you want.

+1. 
My thoughts as well

Oct 16 16 09:35 pm Link