Forums > Newbie Forum > Scam question

Model

Lior BZ

Brooklyn, New York, US

Hey,

I've received a few messages here and been talking to by email with an agency that claims to arranging a photoshoot for a designer from dubai.
they sent all the details, and said they are paying me a downpayment. however they said they are sending me funds from which i should deduct my amount, and pass the rest of the money to the stylist.
I'm concerned their check will bounce after I'll cache it, and basically im giving the "stylist" money that will come out of my own pocket.

Is that a common scam  here?
Thanks
Lior

Sep 27 16 12:21 pm Link

Photographer

SayCheeZ!

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

It's the most common scam seen on MM, there's already a few thousand posts about it.

It's an 'advanced fee' Nigerian 419 type of fraud.  They send a fake check and you're required to WIRE the money to a third party.  In a few weeks the check is returned to your bank as a fake, and the money you WIRED (Western Uniion / Moneygram) is not traceable or recoverable. 

https://www.modelmayhem.com/education/u … the-basics

If the scammer contacted you on MM, please report them to the moderators at www.modelmayhem.com/contactamod or you can flag the message that they sent you (bottom right, below the message).

Sep 27 16 12:29 pm Link

Model

Lior BZ

Brooklyn, New York, US

I thought so!
Thank you so much, will report them for sure.

Sep 27 16 12:57 pm Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Most common scam. Decades old! Nigerian Scam
Cease all contact. Do not give them your address or phone. Unfortunately they now have your email.

Sep 27 16 10:43 pm Link

Photographer

Brooklyn Bridge Images

Brooklyn, New York, US

Oldest trick in the book
New models learn about scams
https://www.modelmayhem.com/forums/post/575330

Sep 28 16 08:23 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

LiorGiller wrote:
I've received a few messages here and been talking to by email with an agency that claims to arranging a photoshoot for a designer from dubai.

The scammers switch from the MM message system to email ASAP because they know that they will be promptly booted off of MM.

Sep 28 16 09:53 am Link