Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > Actor's Headshot question!

Photographer

HV images

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

I am trying to decide how much work (if any at all) I should do to some Headshot portraits, against my better judgement the portraits were taken with no make up.

I wasn't specifically asked either way, but obviously I want the client to look her best under those circumstances.

What would you do?

Here is a sample.

https://hvalladares.com/mm/Headshot(6).jpg

Sep 19 16 02:23 pm Link

Digital Artist

Joe Diamond

Bucharest, Bucharest, Romania

I believe that if you had a retouching experience you definetly  knew that so my advise is instead of a bad work better no work or you can choose good work if you hire a professional retoucher

Sep 19 16 09:11 pm Link

Photographer

HV images

Joe Diamond wrote:
I believe that if you had a retouching experience you definetly  knew that so my advise is instead of a bad work better no work or you can choose good work if you hire a professional retoucher

Thanks for the advice I agree with your statement. You actually made me realise that I posted this in the wrong forum.

Cheers.

Sep 20 16 03:45 am Link

Photographer

KungPaoChic

West Palm Beach, Florida, US

IMO at least she should have worn at least worn powder -- I would be clear with clients that if they refuse to have professional hair and makeup you are not going to fix skin issues in post.

I guess some people think they are saving money by not booking a makeup artist but if you have to compensate in post I would be clear you are going to charge extra for that.

Sep 20 16 07:00 am Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

HV, do you actually think that photo is in any way an acceptable product to deliver to your client?

Sep 20 16 09:19 am Link

Photographer

HV images

Fleming Design wrote:
HV, do you actually think that photo is in any way an acceptable product to deliver to your client?

It should be quite obvious that I don't think this is representative of my normal work, otherwise I wouldn't have been pondering what to do!

So I had a chat with the client. She had had bad advice from a friend of hers regarding the requirements for the photographs (despite the fact that I tried to explain the need for good makeup). She has booked a new sitting, this time we will have a makeup artist, all worked out well.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Sep 20 16 12:42 pm Link

Photographer

Fleming Design

East Hartford, Connecticut, US

https://peterhurley.com/photography/womens-headshots

Make up will help.  But you want a headshot that conveys some personality, if not actually exuding personality.  The photo is what she will leave behind on castings and it better not be dull and easy to be overlooked.  Why did you shoot down on the actress?  That is not a power pose. Why a fill light below her face lighting under her nose and eyebrows and putting the main catchlight at the bottom of het eye?  Why a complete lack of any expression/personality?  Your client probably needs to smile. Her face has to come alive.  Have her become characters during the shoot.

You want a casting director to look at her photo and say "I remember her, she was very good. Let's have her come back in".

Sep 20 16 02:00 pm Link

Photographer

Chuckarelei

Seattle, Washington, US

She had makeup on, just not much. Lipstick and mascara.

Sep 20 16 02:39 pm Link

Retoucher

Selena Jain

Nottingham, England, United Kingdom

HV images wrote:

It should be quite obvious that I don't think this is representative of my normal work, otherwise I wouldn't have been pondering what to do!

So I had a chat with the client. She had had bad advice from a friend of hers regarding the requirements for the photographs (despite the fact that I tried to explain the need for good makeup). She has booked a new sitting, this time we will have a makeup artist, all worked out well.

Thanks guys for your comments.

Glad you got the chance of taking another shot!

Sep 21 16 04:14 am Link