Forums > General Industry > nyc here i come!!

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

I am going to NYC tomorrow to 5 open calls with agencies like vision, wilhelmina, ford, etc. I am not taking my portfolio since it's not very good yet, and they like to pretend that they completely discover girls. Wish me luck!!!! lol I am so freaking excited!!!!! I know I will probably get all rejection, or mostly rejectly atleast, but I am excited to be going and to try! 

smile

Dec 05 06 08:05 pm Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

Be confident.

Dec 05 06 08:13 pm Link

Photographer

Kay Thom

New York, New York, US

good luck and dress warm!!! its cold here!

Dec 05 06 08:15 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

lol I am confident, I just didn't want a bunch of people saying, oh be prepared for rejection, because I am positive about it but prepared for them to say no.

Yea... I am going to be dressed kind of warm lol.... Hopefully I don't get too cold, I am going to wear a knee length coat (it's really stylish though) that is wool, so hopefully thats ok. haha

Dec 05 06 08:20 pm Link

Model

Angela_M

Chicago, Illinois, US

Good for you for being confident!

Dec 05 06 08:22 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

well you are 5'9 (lucky!) so that will definitely help
I wish you the best of luck!
And let us know how it goes! Post here when you get back..

Dec 05 06 08:26 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

Best of luck to you Leah. Nice to see someone "going for it."

Bob
www.bobpardue.com

Dec 05 06 08:59 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

Thanks for all of the support! smile  What sucks is I won't know for atleast a week or so if they want to see me again or sign me sad Hopefully I can tell a little bit by how they treat me, whether they ask in depth questions even though there are a bunch of girls waiting, or if they rush me out and there are only 2 other girls, ya know?? That way I don't get discouraged, but also, so I don't wait around for a call if they don't seem interested!

Dec 05 06 09:29 pm Link

Photographer

Emeritus

Las Vegas, Nevada, US

Best guess is by the time you walk out the agency door you will know the answer.  If they are interested they won't let you walk out without a positive statement of interest.

Dec 05 06 09:56 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

TXPhotog wrote:
Best guess is by the time you walk out the agency door you will know the answer.  If they are interested they won't let you walk out without a positive statement of interest.

cool! Thanks, I had no idea if they hint at you or not whether they like you, I have never been to an agency haha. I have a good idea of how to behave there, but no idea what to expect (although I am stopping at a Philly agency in the morning before I go, kind of as a back up if none of the NYC ones like me, I am pretty sure they will sign me, but that way I have a little more of an idea, although I am guessing that they are going to be quite different). I expect to walk in, have then ask me a couple of things, look me over, maybe have me do a quick walk for them and thats about it. I figure half the time they won't be listening to me, but more of sizing me up and examining me haha. Has anyone gone to an agency? Is that about right?

Dec 05 06 10:29 pm Link

Photographer

Brandon Ching

Brooklyn, New York, US

Leah Rogers wrote:

cool! Thanks, I had no idea if they hint at you or not whether they like you, I have never been to an agency haha. I have a good idea of how to behave there, but no idea what to expect (although I am stopping at a Philly agency in the morning before I go, kind of as a back up if none of the NYC ones like me, I am pretty sure they will sign me, but that way I have a little more of an idea, although I am guessing that they are going to be quite different). I expect to walk in, have then ask me a couple of things, look me over, maybe have me do a quick walk for them and thats about it. I figure half the time they won't be listening to me, but more of sizing me up and examining me haha. Has anyone gone to an agency? Is that about right?

I'm not so sure they always reinforce their interest with "positive feedback" so much as it would be a lack of negativity. I think you'd know for sure if they didn't want to sign you.

Dec 05 06 10:41 pm Link

Model

Tikeya

Edgewood, Maryland, US

Cool!  I hope you have fun.  I'll be there this weekend.

Dec 05 06 10:42 pm Link

Photographer

00siris

New York, New York, US

have a ball

Dec 05 06 10:48 pm Link

Photographer

stephent

New York, New York, US

BEst of luck. its a rough business but the real agencies are all about the money and thus will let you know if you are wasting there time at the moment.

Dec 06 06 01:50 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Good luck! Wish I had the guts to do it! Keep us posted. smile

Dec 06 06 01:51 pm Link

Model

Aaron Wright

Brooklyn, New York, US

Let us know how it goes, I'll be in your shoes in about a month.  Just waiting for winter break to start so I can head up to NYC to see the same agencies!

Dec 06 06 02:46 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

Well, I only went to one, because like I said I didn't take a portfolio.... well, if you don't take one, if they like you, they want you to do tests with their photogs which yes, you do pay for them (even when it's not a scam). But, she said, since I have some pictures (I have more than whats online), I can just come back up with those and show her so she can see how I am during shoots. Anyways, with that said, they did like me, and they made an appointment to see me again monday, so I will go then (and go to Elites open call haha) so it works out. I decided to not go to the other ones this week, I am just going to go next wed. My son was cold and we just weren't prepared, but now we know! It was easier than I thought and now I do feel confident that I will get signed. (And, hopefully my little monthly visitor (I know TMI!!) will be gone by next week haha). They took a lot of time with me and are willing to actually schedule a time to come back (they didn't just say to come to another open call).... also, I told her the pictures aren't all great (some are better than others) and luckily I just did some that are a little more editorial fashion type images because thats more of what they will be looking at, but she wasn't worried about me having a great portfolio or a really full one. So I am even more excited now smile
Oh, and by the way, last night, I slept for 45 min!!!! haha, I was a little too excited!

Dec 06 06 06:12 pm Link

Model

Constance Hilory

Mobile, Alabama, US

Was this an agency in NYC or the local agency you spoke of? Either way .. CONGRATS!

Dec 06 06 07:18 pm Link

Model

Rania

Montclair, New Jersey, US

Leah Rogers wrote:
Well, I only went to one, because like I said I didn't take a portfolio.... well, if you don't take one, if they like you, they want you to do tests with their photogs which yes, you do pay for them (even when it's not a scam). But, she said, since I have some pictures (I have more than whats online), I can just come back up with those and show her so she can see how I am during shoots. Anyways, with that said, they did like me, and they made an appointment to see me again monday, so I will go then (and go to Elites open call haha) so it works out. I decided to not go to the other ones this week, I am just going to go next wed. My son was cold and we just weren't prepared, but now we know! It was easier than I thought and now I do feel confident that I will get signed. (And, hopefully my little monthly visitor (I know TMI!!) will be gone by next week haha). They took a lot of time with me and are willing to actually schedule a time to come back (they didn't just say to come to another open call).... also, I told her the pictures aren't all great (some are better than others) and luckily I just did some that are a little more editorial fashion type images because thats more of what they will be looking at, but she wasn't worried about me having a great portfolio or a really full one. So I am even more excited now smile
Oh, and by the way, last night, I slept for 45 min!!!! haha, I was a little too excited!

aww thats great!! congrats and good luck

Dec 06 06 07:23 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

Both the local (Philly) and NYC agent that I saw what to see me again. I hope it goes well with the other 4 agencies I will be going to in NYC next week, I decided not to waste my time since now I know they rather a portfolio...

Thanks so much smile

Dec 06 06 08:19 pm Link

Photographer

David Gabel Photography

Skippack, Pennsylvania, US

Best of luck to you! What Philly agency? I'm in your shoes exactly, but as a photographer! I recently submitted my work to MMA and Reinhard and they both showed interest! Now I have to prove myself in the pictures I take for them! It's exciting but nerve racking, as I'm sure you can imagine!

Let's wish each other luck, ok?

David

Dec 07 06 07:10 pm Link

Model

Leah Michelle

Venice, Florida, US

I am definately wishing you luck to every but David in particular... I went to Reinhart, which showed interested but so did the only NYC agent I went to, so for me they have a bit over preference lol.

Dec 08 06 08:21 am Link

Photographer

Rick Edwards

Wilmington, Delaware, US

listen to TXPhoto, he knows of what he speaks

Dec 08 06 08:25 am Link

Photographer

Robert NYC

New York, New York, US

Great good luck!

Dec 08 06 10:11 am Link