Forums > Newbie Forum > Comp card advice

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Hello,

I'm looking to get some comp cards made. Can anyone recommend a good site please?

Also, how many comp cards would some one starting out need? I'm thinking maybe 300. My agency offered an unlimited amount for $300 per year, but is it even necessary for someone just starting out?

Thanks!

Aug 22 16 04:46 pm Link

Photographer

G Reese

Marion, Indiana, US

Would save a lot of ware and tare on your feet.  Lot of clients want to know what the model looks like or can look like. In the distant passed, I pick a model totally from her comp card, in Chicago.

G Reese

Aug 22 16 05:44 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Okay thank you!

Anyone else. I'm just getting started, kind of. I would appreciate any advice. Anyone in the mid-west, please send a friend request. I'm looking to make more connections.

Thanks!

Aug 23 16 08:16 am Link

Photographer

Flex Photography

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

Some photographers produce them and also available from a number of sources online.
You can even get them through Mayhem here: https://www.modelmayhem.com/shop/print
They have a few templates of different layouts.

This video may help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US-gAQbG7gQ

Aug 24 16 07:37 am Link

Photographer

sospix

Orlando, Florida, US

Make an E comp card that can be sent electronically, and also printed out by the agency or client  .  .  .  format it as a high res PDF, or JPG, that way it's easily sent, and easily printable  .  .  .  also if you need actual printed cards, just print them out at Kinkos as needed, generally a 6" x 9" card is standard, use both sides, 5-6 images (a good head, shoulders up, 3/4, 1/2 and full body) preferably from different shoots, and your stats and contact info, use 100lb. cover weight paper with a dull gloss  .  .  .  you can also update and customize (for a particular client, or agency) easily using either format  .  .  .  shoot me a quick note, and I'll send you some samples if you'd like  .  .  .

SOS

Aug 24 16 08:07 am Link

Wardrobe Stylist

calistastyles

Palm Beach, Florida, US

Many of my clients have used compcard.com and have been pleased.

Sep 04 16 04:55 pm Link

Photographer

J O H N A L L A N

Los Angeles, California, US

smray7 wrote:
Hello,

My agency offered an unlimited amount for $300 per year, but is it even necessary for someone just starting out?

Thanks!

This doesn't even make sense. Who's the agency you're with? Comps would not be a yearly expense for an unlimited number (not saying an agency wouldn't bill you back for them), but this just is abnormal enough to be suspect.
Plus - an agency is likely to want their name printed on your comps.
But what do I know - every body's an agency now days and every girl can be signed to one.

Sep 04 16 08:33 pm Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

J O H N  A L L A N wrote:
This doesn't even make sense. Who's the agency you're with? Comps would not be a yearly expense for an unlimited number (not saying an agency wouldn't bill you back for them), but this just is abnormal enough to be suspect.
Plus - an agency is likely to want their name printed on your comps.
But what do I know - every body's an agency now days and every girl can be signed to one.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

It's Seven Models Management in Toronto.

BTW, it's only 225 CAN which is about 175 US.

So am I concerned for no reason or should I take a chance?

-Sierra

Sep 06 16 05:55 am Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

smray7 wrote:

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it.

It's Seven Models Management in Toronto.

BTW, it's only 225 CAN which is about 175 US.

So am I concerned for no reason or should I take a chance?

-Sierra

How can a Canadian agency handle a model based in Detroit? And why would a Detroit model not try for a Detroit agency?

Sep 06 16 10:04 am Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
How can a Canadian agency handle a model based in Detroit? And why would a Detroit model not try for a Detroit agency?

The distance is not that far. I've tried to sign here in MI.
Many models are signed to agencies in different/bigger markets.
Why not?

Sep 07 16 02:33 pm Link

Photographer

John Silva Photography

Fairfield, California, US

smray7 wrote:

The distance is not that far. I've tried to sign here in MI.
Many models are signed to agencies in different/bigger markets.
Why not?

Every time you get a casting call in that city/market you have to go there. Sometimes that just not feasible. Nothing wrong with spreading yourself thin but some of the signed Models I know don't even have cars.
Some agencies won't let you use pics except those they took on their jobs or in their archives. If those are NOT the kinds of shots other agencies are looking for, you won't get calls. Your comp card needs to be the best of the best for the genres you want to work in. Maybe the commercial shots your agency has isn't your strongest work.
Not to mention that it's just another revenue stream for them. That's ok if they're gonna produce a card that's best for you, and not them. You want the MOST calls you can get. If that's the card they're gonna produce for you then go for it.  Good luck

Sep 07 16 05:53 pm Link

Photographer

Eagle Rock Photographer

I looked at the 'Seven' website and was singularly UNimpressed. To put it politely. I'm not sure how blunt I'm allowed to be. You might want to post the agency's URL and ask for opinions from those w/ more fashion agency expertise than myself.

Sep 08 16 11:49 am Link

Model

Sierra77

Detroit, Michigan, US

Eagle Rock Photographer wrote:
I looked at the 'Seven' website and was singularly UNimpressed. To put it politely. I'm not sure how blunt I'm allowed to be. You might want to post the agency's URL and ask for opinions from those w/ more fashion agency expertise than myself.

Here is the website if anyone wants to know.

http://www.sevenmodels.ca/

I prefer blunt. I won't cry. I promise. After-all, being a model is based of looks, wants,needs, opinions...

Sep 09 16 07:05 am Link