This thread was locked on 2006-12-05 21:10:38
Forums > General Industry > TFP/TFCD...How come you guys become insulted?

Model

MzGarrett

OXON HILL, Maryland, US

I know its always in the bio or you ask and its a no, but what ever happend to lending a helping hand? It is hard for some of us models to come up with money to enhance what we have so far, in portfolios, like college students. This is our dream and I wish some photographers would stop saying, "If its your dream then you take risks." or "If you were serious you'd pay." No duh! But its hard, I am a sophmore, trying to make dreams come true. I already have accomplished some, but this modeling thing, is tougher than I expected. Im not giving up though, refuse to.

I mean I know its cut throat, but is it really that insulting to ask for a TFP/TFCD? Is it that hard for a photogrpaher to say yes? I understand the experienced photogrpahers, but goodness werent you guys in the same position once before? Also, one photogrpaher told me that he has had bad experience with him giving models TFP/TFCDs and they all stood him up. What does that have to do with me? I am a determined model and if you are willing to do a TFP/TFCD, why would I stand you up? No reason to, I need you to help me out.

I just had to get that off my chest, but please let me know.

Dec 05 06 07:11 pm Link

Photographer

Conceptually Black

Columbus, Ohio, US

All of the no-shows for TFP/Cd I have had talked professional, they made plans, wasted my time planning and laying out, sometimes even wasted my money in various rentals. So just saying you won't stand-up isn't enough. It is sometimes hard to tell a flake from a dedicated person, some people have become jaded about the whole thing.
I still shoot TFP/CD myself, but I have changed my approach and also have myself a little list of who has flaked on me, and now as I offer paying jobs and they respond I laugh to myself and send them a polite message reminding them about our prior shoot, then I move to the next person.

Dec 05 06 07:17 pm Link

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

There are plenty of photographers on MM that work TFCD/TFP but the forums are not the place to find them. If you really want to work with a photographer willing to do TFCD then the best way to do it is to look at a photog's port and ask each one on an INDIVDUAL basis.

The problem with many young people today is that they lack initiative. They won't 'pound the pavement' looking for work and think that posting on 'Monster.com' and announcing 'here I am' will have the world beating down their door. I see that a lot on this and other forums.

Dec 05 06 07:18 pm Link

Photographer

Ryan OHoro

New York, New York, US

I've only had a few TFCDs and I've been stood up twice already. It's pretty frustrating, but I'm still in a port building stage so I'll take anyone with good skin and a reasonable figure. As long as I feel a shoot will give me good practice or a portfolio addition, I'm all for it.

I can see if a particular type of model wouldn't be worth my time-- I might adapt the attitude you describe. It does take prep and a significant portion of my time for a shoot and if all I'm getting is the satisfaction of adding to YOUR portfolio (and possibly a wasted no-show afternoon), my interest would be very low.

Keep your head up.

Photographer

Mark Brummitt

Clarkston, Michigan, US

Many of the professionals here have spent tons of money in training and equipment.  Not only do they desire to make living but they also have paid their dues.

Put it this way, once you are a top rated model are you going to shoot with Joe average who just started out?

Photographer

Darqlord

Dayton, Ohio, US

Lazyi Photography wrote:
All of the no-shows for TFP/Cd I have had talked professional, they made plans, wasted my time planning and laying out, sometimes even wasted my money in various rentals. So just saying you won't stand-up isn't enough. It is sometimes hard to tell a flake from a dedicated person, some people have become jaded about the whole thing.
I still shoot TFP/CD myself, but I have changed my approach and also have myself a little list of who has flaked on me, and now as I offer paying jobs and they respond I laugh to myself and send them a polite message reminding them about our prior shoot, then I move to the next person.

LOL! Me too! I even do this for models who don't even respond with a polite 'f*ck off' to an initial email but later (months!) come back either wanting to work for pay or after seeing the results of a shoot I've done with someone else.

Dec 05 06 07:20 pm Link

Photographer

stan wigmore photograph

Long Beach, California, US

MzGarrett wrote:
I know its always in the bio or you ask and its a no, but what ever happend to lending a helping hand? It is hard for some of us models to come up with money to enhance what we have so far, in portfolios, like college students. This is our dream and I wish some photographers would stop saying, "If its your dream then you take risks." or "If you were serious you'd pay." No duh! But its hard, I am a sophmore, trying to make dreams come true. I already have accomplished some, but this modeling thing, is tougher than I expected. Im not giving up though, refuse to.

I mean I know its cut throat, but is it really that insulting to ask for a TFP/TFCD? Is it that hard for a photogrpaher to say yes? I understand the experienced photogrpahers, but goodness werent you guys in the same position once before? Also, one photogrpaher told me that he has had bad experience with him giving models TFP/TFCDs and they all stood him up. What does that have to do with me? I am a determined model and if you are willing to do a TFP/TFCD, why would I stand you up? No reason to, I need you to help me out.

I just had to get that off my chest, but please let me know.

First you have nothing to apologize for if you want to do tfp with a photog and he wishes to do the same for you.You are not depriveing someone of a lively hood and
there is no need to feel ashamed about it.  My guess is that models/photographers who cann't afford to pay and that use tfp doesn't take away anyone's income  but actualy increase the number of those that will someday be interested enough to pay up when they are experienced  enough to see why it is in their best interests.The tfp shooters,the amatuers who just like shooting pretty girls,the group shooters and all the model wannabe beginners( and there is nothing wrong with any of them} are just building interest in a customer base cost free  for those at the top of the food chain.
I use tfp sometimes but rarely because of the no show/no call factor,that is a real problem.Go right ahead and do as much tfp as you want and then someday you will see the need and have the money to pay for photos.

Dec 05 06 07:44 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Helm Photography

Cherry Hill, New Jersey, US

Some photographers, models too, regard doing tfp/cd is working for free and no one wants to work for free. A lot depends on how you approach the photographer and what is in it for them. If you ask how you can help THEM with any projects they are far less likely to see it as a charity request and see somthing that benefit them as well as you. Some photographers do tfp just to try new ideas.

Dec 05 06 07:44 pm Link

Model

A BRITT PRO-AM

CARDIFF BY THE SEA, California, US

try putting your stats on your profile
and your goals re style and level you will shoot before you contact local togs  (or places you are visiting) whos work you like

tell them why
the local newbies will be more keen

Dec 05 06 08:39 pm Link

Photographer

Bob Pardue Photography

Lancaster, South Carolina, US

I have worked with lots of models on photo exchange (tfcd for stock photography) and have ruined half a day many times with no-shows. I love to help models when possible but am becoming more and more careful about who I say "yes" to.

It's now become my policy only to work photo exchange with models who have had at least one professional shoot. At least then I know she has shown up for that one.

These are hard times and I have to agree that contacting photogrphers first-hand and telling him/her your ideas will get you everywhere.

I sincerely hope your dreams do come true. Make it happen! d:-)

Bob
www.bobpardue.com

Dec 05 06 08:47 pm Link

Photographer

Justin

Fort Collins, Colorado, US

No problem here. I welcome it. So do other photographers I pal around with in my area.

Dec 05 06 08:59 pm Link