Forums > Digital Art and Retouching > What are the "Professionals have"?

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

Most of retouchers called themselves as "Professionals. Im just wondering.   What are the qualities they must have as a professional?

Aug 02 16 09:25 pm Link

Photographer

LeonardG Photography

San Francisco, California, US

Hemali Kapilaratne wrote:
Most of retouchers called themselves as "Professionals. Im just wondering.   What are the qualities they must have as a professional?

(paying?) clients

Aug 02 16 10:36 pm Link

Retoucher

Sofia, Sofija grad, Bulgaria

Most of retouchers called themselves as "Professionals.

Are you the minority?

What are the qualities they must have as a professional?

Is that a question by a professional?

Aug 02 16 11:04 pm Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

anchev wrote:

Are you the minority?

Is that a question by a professional?

"I think you've got me wrong.  I havent started this thread to insult someone.  Still Im learning and improving my skills.  I dont think that I have asked a wrong question."

Aug 02 16 11:32 pm Link

Retoucher

"I think you've got me wrong.  I havent started this thread to insult someone.  Still Im learning and improving my skills.  I dont think that I have asked a wrong question."

I am not saying you have. But when a bus driver asks what qualities a bus driver must have it can be a dangerous trip. So perhaps it is better to question before charging the passengers wink

Aug 03 16 12:10 am Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

anchev wrote:

I am not saying you have. But when a bus driver asks what qualities a bus driver must have it can be a dangerous trip. So perhaps it is better to question before charging the passengers wink

Yes, It will be a dangerous trip if you dont have any experience.  But of course if you want to be a professional bus driver, you could ask from an experienced bus driver how to be a good & quality bus driver right smile.  You could learn from his guidance & practice.  And also, you can charge a reasonable amount on the training right smile

Aug 03 16 12:31 am Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

LeonardG Photography wrote:

(paying?) clients

Yeah, might be one of them.

Aug 03 16 12:33 am Link

Retoucher

Yes, It will be a dangerous trip if you dont have any experience.  But of course if you want to be a professional bus driver, you could ask from an experienced bus driver how to be a good & quality bus driver right smile.  You could learn from his guidance & practice.  And also, you can charge a reasonable amount on the training right smile

No. I would not get on a plane driven by a student, even for free. Even if I am being paid to do so.

When you learn you pay for it (or invest your own time), not ask others to pay you while you are learning. That's the difference between "want to be a professional" who still wonders what are the necessary qualities and a professional who has them.

Aug 03 16 12:57 am Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

anchev wrote:
No. I would not get on a plane driven by a student, even for free. Even if I am being paid to do so.

When you learn you pay for it (or invest your own time), not ask others to pay you while you are learning. That's the difference between "want to be a professional" who still wonders what are the necessary qualities and a professional who has them.

Oh anchev, I was answering on your bus driving quote.  Now you are talking about a plane smile.  Even if i would become a  professional one day,  I dont think I could  give up learning.  Learning something isnt stopped until I die I guess.  Its my personal idea.  Anyways, thank you for you ideas!

Aug 03 16 01:19 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

Lets get to the question in hand!!

Hemali, see below.

Learn to control all techniques required for the field you are going to work on.

Be able to produce professional Industry Standard results.

Be able to see colour, colour palettes, understand how colour works, the weight of colour, the weight of elements, etc.

Learn when to stop based on industry standards.

Business mind and being able to deal with big companies and meet their goals, deadlines, requirements, etc.

Be able to produce what they ask.

For me one of the most important parts.. be able to produce work that amateurs can't, which at the end of the day, encapsules everything stated above.

These are just a few. If you meet all the above, you are ready. :-)

Aug 03 16 03:07 am Link

Retoucher

Hemali Kapilaratne

Kandy, Kandy, Sri Lanka

The Invisible Touch wrote:
Lets get to the question in hand!!

Hemali, see below.

Learn to control all techniques required for the field you are going to work on.

Be able to produce professional Industry Standard results.

Be able to see colour, colour palettes, understand how colour works, the way of colour, the way of elements, etc.

Learn when to stop based on industry standards.

Business mind and being able to deal with big companies and meet their goals, deadlines, requirements, etc.

Be able to produce what they ask.

For me one of the most important parts.. be able to produce work that amateurs can't, which at the end of the day, encapsules everything stated above.

These are just a few. If you meet all the above, you are ready. :-)

Thank you so much for your ideas.  I think this is what I have been waiting for:)

Aug 03 16 03:36 am Link

Retoucher

Oh anchev, I was answering on your bus driving quote.  Now you are talking about a plane smile.

And I was answering to your putting professionals in quotes which linguistically implies that they are not true professionals, i.e. that you already know what it is. Professionalism also implies certain ethical conduct, not merely a list of skills and techniques. The different examples I am giving are just for clarity because you seem to be missing the point.

Anyway... if you are looking for the meaning of the word professional and its implications - you could have googled it. There is plenty of info on the subject.

Aug 03 16 04:17 am Link

Photographer

Mark Salo

Olney, Maryland, US

The Invisible Touch wrote:
. . .

The Invisible Touch has given you good answers.

OTOH I'm not impressed when someone calls themself a "professional".  There are way too many people throwing that term around.

Aug 03 16 04:18 am Link

Photographer

Motordrive Photography

Lodi, California, US

My experience was in catalog work, online and printed.

For pro work there was zero hand holding and pats on the back  (well, maybe a few)
things were done, or not done, no one was impressed with a technique learned on
the interwebz. Photos of things done yesterday might look very good, but today you
get the detail shots of the same products and something will need to be compromised
for them to match.

so it seems to me the biggest differences are attitude, delivering good work, every time,
on time.

Aug 03 16 08:48 am Link

Retoucher

Ash PhotoArt

Brooklyn, New York, US

I'm feeling that such type of answer should not be given by an professional. we know here  too many professionals on MM and they are too polite while helping others.

Sep 27 16 12:01 am Link

Photographer

Thomas Van Dyke

Washington, District of Columbia, US

Hemali would suggest you embrace the wisdom of TAO

TAO wrote:
"Claim titles and disaster will follow..."

"Those who know are not learned
The learned do not know... "

Hemail it has taking me many years to appreciate the teaching ot TAO
Possibly one of the most important aspects is that true masters posses a wondrous gift known as the "beginners mind"

That said, deep within so many artisans is a relentless search for identity...
I would simply suggest you embrace the journey and not focus on a destination...

Sep 27 16 07:02 am Link

Photographer

Light and Lens Studio

Sisters, Oregon, US

anchev wrote:

Not at all analogous comparison. Student pilots are prohibited by law from carrying passengers.

Retouching, and even photography itself are unregulated professions. The question by the OP is a reasonable one.

Both are "subjective" in the sense that their work is largely artistic in nature and hence doesn't lend itself to arbitrary "rulemaking" or regulation.

Sep 27 16 08:08 am Link

Retoucher

As I said 2 months ago:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=professional

Sep 27 16 10:17 am Link

Photographer

DanninTO

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Another simple question asked by someone looking for a simple answer that gets a load of crap thrown at them.  Typical MM

Sep 27 16 10:50 am Link

Photographer

Don Garrett

Escondido, California, US

DanninTO wrote:
Another simple question asked by someone looking for a simple answer that gets a load of crap thrown at them.  Typical MM

Yep, it could be answered in one, short sentence, but it became a complex argument.
-Don

Sep 27 16 11:12 am Link

Retoucher

The Invisible Touch

Tarragona, Catalonia, Spain

DanninTO wrote:

Completely right!! It is sad!

Sep 27 16 02:32 pm Link

Artist/Painter

Hunter GWPB

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, US

DanninTO wrote:

It is best to stay out of the forums.  OP, you got one good reply.  Don't even respond to the trolls in the future.

Good luck with learning your craft/profession.  I would give you a shot at doing some work for me.  I will PM you, or feel free to contact me.

Sep 27 16 08:32 pm Link

Retoucher

Ash PhotoArt

Brooklyn, New York, US

yeah, I'm agree my friends.... this question should be answered very simply, but someone is really made it complex.

I would suggest not to respond such type of typical, rude, complex and narrow thought person.

feel free to make PM to us, instead of talking here.

Sep 28 16 05:11 am Link

Photographer

Toto Photo

Belmont, California, US

Hunter  GWPB wrote:
Don't even respond to the trolls in the future.

Excellent advice!

Sep 28 16 12:41 pm Link

Photographer

DSP_Productions

Lexington, Kentucky, US

i always check to see if they can cut out hair accurately.

Oct 03 16 10:44 pm Link

Retoucher

Kamil Wojtowicz

Cambridge, England, United Kingdom

I've read it all... God, some of you are so picky and quarrelsome sometimes... Nice answer The Invisible Touch.

'Most of retouchers called themselves as "Professionals. Im just wondering.   What are the qualities they must have as a professional?

Well, if one works as a retoucher than one can call oneself  a 'Professional', but it doesn't mean he is good one. You can have Diploma in Image Editing, yet only your portfolio is true judge of your skills.

Oct 13 16 10:32 am Link

Photographer

Bartcephus

Mount Pleasant, Texas, US

Perhaps OP is asking what professional organizations, guilds, associations, and/or credentials do most so called "professionals" belong/obtain which entitles them to call themselves a professional.  I've seen many "hacks" in many "professions" as part of the process of getting gray hair.  My answer to the question is this: the acquisition of a skill set or knowledge which is currently in demand by others who are willing to pay for such talent, and which regularly supplies the holder to compensation for providing such skills.  (i.e. a professional football player, a professional baseball player, a plumber, doctor, lawyer, electrician, etc.)  Some trades and skills must be licensed, (lawyers, doctors, plumbers, heat and air contractors, etc.)  Some just have specialized training and/or experience, (quarterbacks, musicians, painters, window washers.)

Most professionals will have their own tools to perform the requested task.  Most have a clear understanding of what is required of them by those who contract or employ them.  Most will belong to the associations, guilds, trade clubs, (unions?)of their particular skill/trade/specialized knowledge.  Most will be set up to accept business as a product or service provider and know if there are sales or service taxes to be collected in the particular jurisdiction.  Most will know how to price a "job" so that they can make a profit.  Most know the time it takes to properly complete the task or provide the finished product, and deliver the results timely.  Most professionals don't get snarky with others on online forums, but encourage others toward excellence and raise the bar for the entire trade.  Realizing that the better we become as human beings and the better we provide services to our communities the more in demand our products and services will become recognized and necessary.  True professionals will rise on their own talents and superior work rather than cutting others down.  True professionals make "what they do" look easy, when it is not easy.  Most professionals will recognize that if they quit trying to improve, they will no longer be recognized as a leader in the field.  Professionals attend training and always look for new and improved ways of performing their services or delivering their product.

A true professional will deliver what the client seeks, not always just what the professional thinks the client wants.  A professional can communicate with clients to determine their needs and wants and can deal with those they employ or retain such as models, assistants, make up artists, set designers, gaffers, suppliers, caterers, etc. in a pleasing and proper manner to secure the cooperation of those necessary to perform in the most expedient and profitable manner possible, and providing a unique, sought after product or service.  Whether your service is providing fast retouching of 100 school portraits, removing  pimples and blemishes from high school seniors for a wall display, or putting the graphics and text on a plate of food for a menu or magazine advertisement to make the food look yummy and make the reader hungry for that burger or bowl of soup.   A true professional will recognize the clients desires and uses for the end product or service.  That is how they become in demand and others seek out their services. 

We could talk about experts, but that is a whole other category.

Oct 16 16 02:35 am Link